Coach If not Simpson, then WHO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jungle drums are beating and if we are to believe the media, they’ll soon have the scalp they’ve been hunting all season

So in the event the club decides to set fire to a stack of cash, who are the options to come in and sweep up the ashes?

There’s plenty of candidates and only one other club (Richmond) looking to fill a vacancy. In all likelihood they will make their appointment of a new coach before West Coast begin their own search if required

Experienced Coaches

The success rate of retreads as coach of another club is low. Since Matthews guided Brisbane to a three peat to start the century only Malthouse at Collingwood in 2010 has won a flag at a new club. Every other premiership coach was in their first senior coaching position so prior experience isn’t any guarantee of success. If anything, it’s the opposite but ….

Don Pyke

Enjoyed success as an assistant at West Coast before guiding Adelaide to a GF and a subsequent preseason camp that left the club in disarray and ultimately Pyke without a job. Returned to the assistant coaching ranks at Sydney where he’s again had a positive influence

I’d like him at the club, but not as coach. He’s a potential Nisbett replacement as CEO or would suit as a coaching director to assist a first time coach

Nathan Buckley

Seems pretty content in the media now and is unlikely to consider a move west but no doubt his name will be thrown up. Unlikely

Justin Leppitsch

Had an ill fated stint at Brisbane for 3 years when they were a basket case before successful stints at Richmond and, more recently, Collingwood as an assistant

Think he’s one of those guys who’s a good assistant and given he’s not sought the Richmond job, seems unlikely to chase one at West Coast

There’s others - Ben Rutten, David Teague, Brendan Bolton, Stewart Dew etc etc but I doubt any of them would be seriously considered

Noobs

Jarrad Schofield

Came across from Port as a senior assistant to begin the 2022 season with many at the time viewing him as an eventual successor to Simpson. The performance of the team during his two years has arguably done more harm than good to his case however

Hugely successful at Subiaco as head coach before an assistant role at Port enhanced his reputation

The club will have a very good handle on his performance under Simpson (good, bad or indifferent) and he would allow for a relatively smooth transition. It must be said that assistants taking over the senior role at their existing club haven’t had a good strike rate

He’d definitely be in the mix and a strong candidate

Dean Cox

After retiring as a player at the end of 2014, Cox spent 3 years as an assistant at West Coast before joining Sydney for the 2018 season onwards

Is well regarded in Sydney and is considered a potential successor to John Longmire

A Pyke-Cox tandem as CEO-Coach is a tantalising prospect especially coming from such a successful club as Sydney where they’ve both had significant input

There’s a danger with favoured sins returning as coach but Cox has served a significant apprenticeship away from the club that would mitigate that.

Ash Hansen

Another West Coast premiership player but one who’s spent a long time away from the club. Was at the Bulldogs in a variety of roles for 9 years before joining Carlton as a senior assistant to Voss

Seen as a senior coach in waiting he’s been on the shortlist of several recent vacancies he has a good pedigree

Reportedly declined an offer as an assistant at West Coast at the end of 2021 which indicates he has support at the club

Jaymie Graham

Another former Eagle, just not a premiership one. Had a long stint under Simpson before moving down the road

Like Hansen, he’s seen as a future senior coach and has flirted with previous opportunities at other clubs but has baulked at leaving WA. Pulled out of the Richmond race preferring to gain more experience at Fremantle

Josh Carr

If there’s an opposite to a favourite son, then Carr would be it

Spent time at Fremantle and Port as an assistant and was considered a favourite for the Richmond job before withdrawing, some say to pursue a succession plan to Hinkley

I know he’s highly regarded, but this would be a tough one to stomach and hard to get behind

Chris Newman

Appears to be the front runner for the Richmond job so might not be available

He’s been assistant at Hawthorn since 2016 so has time under Clarkson and now Mitchell. Had a successful stint as coach of Hawthorns VFL affiliate, Boxhill, giving him a good reputation for developing players which should appeal

Plenty of others and a search through the Richmond wannabes gives up the likes of Daniel Giansiracusa, Adam Yze, Robert Harvey and Scott Burns among others

Personally I’d lean to Jarrad Schofield but as I mentioned Dean Cox, in combination with Don Pyke in some capacity other than head coach, holds some appeal

One thing is for sure, despite our recent woes there won’t be any shortage of well credentialed applicants lining up for the job

Who’s your pick?

PS: I’ll put a poll up later, maybe once it’s Simpson does get moved on should that occur

Mods please merge with the Simpson megathread.

Oh wait…

We should do what we did a decade ago, interview and decide who’s the best assistant, and hire them. Tough to know who that’d be, not sure how many would have had Simpson as the man to replace Worsfold at this stage of 2013.

Adem Yze, Ash Hansen, Chris Newman … actually you’ve mentioned all the main names in the OP. I can’t think of any others.

Jarrad Schofield , Jaymie Graham .

Between these two , Buckley a roughie though cannot afford if we pay out Adam Simpson .

Should be Schofield

My guess it will be the Pyke - Cox combo in some capacity. Which I like.

Would also be happy with Josh Carr.

I have never liked Simmo as a coach. But I think he has other qualities that make me wish he could stay at the club in some capacity. But I know that can’t happen.

Surely we get a pleb to take the beatings for the next 3 seasons then hire a good coach. Or just stick with Simmo. Cant see many wins next 3 seasons with our current midfeild, and the kids cant be expected to carry our midfeild until they are at least 23. Thats 4 years away. No new coach is going to last that long in the bottom 3.

Don't panic, its just the East Coast media trying to get another coach sacked, it might of worked with Dew and the Suns but we're better than that allowing media pressure to tell us when to sack a coach. I say !%^& the East Coast media and stick it up them and keep Simmo for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep Simpson on a renegotiated salary with a year extension if needed. Pay more to bring in better people around him and the football department.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

For established assistants who (IMO) are ready, Adem Yze strikes me as a viable candidate. By all reports, he marginally missed out on the GWS job and Kingsley has done a heck of a job with them.

If Simpson is sacked, the last thing I want is a West Coast Old Boy simply given the job. Put everyone through the process and pick the best candidate.

Personally would like to see Pyke brought in as a caretaker coach to start pointing the side back in the right direction. I dont think he has it in him to be a long-term coach, so may need a sweetener in the contract allowing him to move into an exec role later.

I like the idea of Jaymie Graham for a few reasons (and not because he's an ex Eagle)
  • He's had experience at different AFL Clubs Saints, Eagles & Freo Plus senior WAFL coaching experience. (inc. AFL premiership coaching panel)
  • He has had a rough upbringing and brings with him a story of real life resilience and hard work. We need this type of character. A humble, hard working person that has not been spoon fed. I think this will bring outside & inside perspective of the Eagles being an arrogant club down a peg or two.
  • I think he'd relate really well with a young list, from all backgrounds. I guess the benefit of having come from the premiership year is that he will also know what makes the older crew tick, who will need motivation in what will likely be another tough year nxt year.

If you don't know his story. Look it up.

Sure there's plenty of other candidates too.

If push comes to shove, I'd go Pyke/Cox combo..both can be a hardarse if that's a requirement as a coach.
No to Buckley, although it would ironic..?
Dewy, I just don't respect an overweight coach.

I like the idea of Jaymie Graham for a few reasons (and not because he's an ex Eagle)
  • He's had experience at different AFL Clubs Saints, Eagles & Freo Plus senior WAFL coaching experience. (inc. AFL premiership coaching panel)
  • He has had a rough upbringing and brings with him a story of real life resilience and hard work. We need this type of character. A humble, hard working person that has not been spoon fed. I think this will bring outside & inside perspective of the Eagles being an arrogant club down a peg or two.
  • I think he'd relate really well with a young list, from all backgrounds. I guess the benefit of having come from the premiership year is that he will also know what makes the older crew tick, who will need motivation in what will likely be another tough year nxt year.

Taylor Swift sister of Tom Swift

Shake it off

shake it off taylor swift GIF

What is his personality like? Nothing against him but he gives me Longmuir vibes.

Mods please merge with the Simpson megathread.

Oh wait…

We should do what we did a decade ago, interview and decide who’s the best assistant, and hire them. Tough to know who that’d be, not sure how many would have had Simpson as the man to replace Worsfold at this stage of 2013.

Adem Yze, Ash Hansen, Chris Newman … actually you’ve mentioned all the main names in the OP. I can’t think of any others.

My recollection is Woosha looked burnt out but it was the last game against Adelaide, were the team didn’t turn up and lost by close to 100 point that was the final nail in the coffin.

It was always Simmo vs Suma for the role and I think opinions were split about 50 / 50. Simmo was the young up and comer from the Grand Final winning Hawk, Suma was Woosha’s right hand man and looked a good option, other than concerns it would be more of the same as what Woosha had done.

Of the listed candidate, Cox reminds me a little of when we appointed Woosha, with the return of a club favourite. Newman is a little like Simmo, in a new external voice, except Simmo was both a premership player and assistant.
I was high on Schofield when he came across as an assistant but the last few years has definitely poisoned the well a little for me.

It was always Simmo vs Suma for the role and I think opinions were split about 50 / 50.

Not sure this was the case in August when Worsfold was still in the seat and talking about coaching on - i.e. where we are now.

Once the process of hiring his replacement started, Simpson emerged as a likely candidate. That’s my recollection anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back