If you could take 1 player from another team

Remove this Banner Ad

Naughton is a great suggestion.

His second worst record against other clubs is Melbourne.

If he played for them he wouldn't have to face them.
His struggles against Melbourne I'd suggest are probably entirely to do with one S May. Just about the only defender who has the size, strength and explosive power to either hold him off or launch in to contests as well as Naughton does.

The stat that Naughton only kicked his 2nd goal all year from general play in the grand final is intriguing though. Shows how dominant he is in the air but how much room for improvement their is in his forward craft. If he starts getting on the end of a few more easy pieces of play he'll go from being difficult to handle as his is currently to close to unstoppable.

His struggles against Melbourne I'd suggest are probably entirely to do with one S May. Just about the only defender who has the size, strength and explosive power to either hold him off or launch in to contests as well as Naughton does.

The stat that Naughton only kicked his 2nd goal all year from general play in the grand final is intriguing though. Shows how dominant he is in the air but how much room for improvement their is in his forward craft. If he starts getting on the end of a few more easy pieces of play he'll go from being difficult to handle as his is currently to close to unstoppable.

Yeah, Naughton only started playing forward in his second year at the club, after being a defender through juniors. He doesn't have the same kind of goal sense that more natural forwards do. If he improves on that by say 50% he'll get a Coleman sooner rather than later.

At North I would take Naughton at CHB alongside McKay. Our pillars down back would be set for a decade. I rate Naughton very highly as a forward, but I think he would be even better down back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Other than the obvious players who had great years in 2021 (Petracca is no. 1), the hawks need a young natural born leader to drag them along.

For this reason I'd also love Jack Steele.
Ruck/forwards are gold and I think Rowan Marshall is tracking to be one of the best, just needs to stay on the park.

Hows that for some unexpected love Saints fans?

At North I would take Naughton at CHB alongside McKay. Our pillars down back would be set for a decade. I rate Naughton very highly as a forward, but I think he would be even better down back.

North would love a CHB.

Interestingly, Richmond offered pick 7, 15, 26 and CCJ for Pick 1.

In an alternate reality, one where North accept the deal and the draft pans out the same, North end up with a draft of:

Gibcus - the CHB they need.
Brown - running defender
Goater
Sonsie - Adds skill and class to the midfield

All picked inside the top 25

and CCJ

I'm not sure I'd do it (Horne could be anything!), but it certainly fills a few more holes.

North would love a CHB.

In an alternate reality, one where North accept the deal and the draft pans out the same, North end up with a draft of:

Brown - running defender
Goater

and CCJ

I'm not sure I'd do it (Horne could be anything!), but it certainly fills a few more holes.

I think you will see some very early draft picks on the table (as early as this year) for the right KPD's in the right age bracket.

Just as Melbourne filled in their defence with Lever and May.

There's really only a few players in the comp that could demand that sort of currency - Moore and Taylor spring to mind as those that fit the bill, obviously Taylor just signed a long term deal.

Yeah, Naughton only started playing forward in his second year at the club, after being a defender through juniors. He doesn't have the same kind of goal sense that more natural forwards do. If he improves on that by say 50% he'll get a Coleman sooner rather than later.

Aaron Naughton is a gun and no doubt will be in contention for a Coleman at some point in his career but its far more than just "goal sense" he is lacking.

His Set Shots and 1 on 1 Marking both are average. Once he improves these he will climb the rankings.

i'll take Sam Frost :)

Collingwood - Moore
Essendon - Cox
GCS - King
GWS - Taylor
North - Horne-Francis
Port - Butters
Richmond - Bolton
Saints - King
Sydney - Heeney
WCE - Kelly
WBD - the Bont

I liked the combinations of Moore Cox, King Taylor, Horne-Francis Butters Bolton, King Heeney and Kelly the Bont...

After some deep thinking and quiet reflection, I've decided to go with Sam Walsh. Not because Melbourne Demons need him (we don't), but because losing him would leave Blues without a midfielder and probably anchor them on the bottom for a few more years, which we'd all love to see.

Welcome to Melbourne Sam!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

StKilda is taking Ben King

I think you will see some very early draft picks on the table (as early as this year) for the right KPD's in the right age bracket.

Just as Melbourne filled in their defence with Lever and May.

There's really only a few players in the comp that could demand that sort of currency - Moore and Taylor spring to mind as those that fit the bill, obviously Taylor just signed a long term deal.
If North go down that road, they probably should have taken the Adelaide deal.

3 First Rounders this year would have given NM ridiculous currency (and still could have picked Rachelle, Gibcus, Amiss or Erasmus etc last year).

North would love a CHB.

Brown - running defender
Goater

and CCJ

It definitely fills holes no doubt. I’d still rather the player that could be generational though.

Dogs perspective - no mids apart from Horne-Francis. Just gun talls and gun forwards.

Adelaide - Riley O’Brien
Brisbane - Harris Andrews
Carlton - McKay
Collingwood - Grundy
Essendon - Ridley (also wouldn't mind Stringer back...)
Fremantle - Darcy
GWS - Toby Greene
Gold Coast - Ben King
Geelong - Tom Stewart
Melbourne - Max Gawn
Kangaroos - Horne-Francis
Hawthorn - James Sicily
Port - Aliir Aliir
St Kilda - Rowan Marshall
Richmond - Noah Balta
Sydney - Isaac Heeney
West Coast - Nic Naitanui

Last edited:
Adelaide - Schoenberg
Brisbane - McLuggage
Carlton - McKay
Collingwood - N.Daicos
Fremantle - Young
GWS - Toby Greene
Gold Coast - Ben King
Geelong - Tom Stewart
Melbourne - Petracca
Hawthorn - Will Day
Port - Butters
St Kilda - Steele
Richmond - Bolton
Sydney - Gulden
West Coast - Liam Ryan
Western Bulldogs- Bontempelli

Luke Jackson...a career ruckman/forward who has already shown plenty. Or Bont, we could use an elite midfielder who stays on the park.

Dogs perspective - no mids apart from Horne-Francis. Just gun talls and gun forwards.

Adelaide - Riley O’Brien
Brisbane - Charlie Cameron
Carlton - McKay
Collingwood - Grundy
Essendon - Ridley (also wouldn't mind Stringer back...)
Fremantle - Darcy
GWS - Toby Greene
Gold Coast - Ben King
Geelong - Tom Stewart
Melbourne - Max Gawn
Hawthorn - James Sicily
Port - Aliir Aliir
St Kilda - Rowan Marshall
Richmond - Noah Balta
Sydney - Isaac Heeney
West Coast - Nic Naitanui

If you don’t want mids, Ben McKay would do nicely from North. I think you desperately need another gorilla key back.

If you don’t want mids, Ben McKay would do nicely from North. I think you desperately need another gorilla key back.

Yeah, Keath does an admirable job given that it's not his most natural role, but I'd love a Ben McKay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back