Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

So Google provide a list of search results which show article titles with maybe a picture and a line or two, which link to the media organisation's website, and the Code says Google has to pay the media organisations for that privilege? I don't agree with that.

It would of course be different if the search result showed the entire article or a significant portion of it surrounded by Google's ads, but I haven't seen that. Am I missing something?

So Google provide a list of search results which show article titles with maybe a picture and a line or two, which link to the media organisation's website, and the Code says Google has to pay the media organisations for that privilege? I don't agree with that.

It would of course be different if the search result showed the entire article or a significant portion of it surrounded by Google's ads, but I haven't seen that. Am I missing something?

Advertising revenue is shifting from media organisations to the likes of google and Facebook, presumably because that provides better results

Since those companies are aggregators who produce none of their own content and have no meaningful competition it’s seen as an unhealthy situation

Whether this legislation is the right answer or if it will even work I’m not really sure but the concept that these global behemoths need scrutiny on their business practices should not be controversial

Advertising revenue is shifting from media organisations to the likes of google and Facebook, presumably because that provides better results

Since those companies are aggregators who produce none of their own content and have no meaningful competition it’s seen as an unhealthy situation

Whether this legislation is the right answer or if it will even work I’m not really sure but the concept that these global behemoths need scrutiny on their business practices should not be controversial

I am so torn on the legislation. On one side is billionaire tyrant and notorious fake news peddler Rupert Murdoch, and on the other billionaire tyrant and notorious fake news peddler Mark Zuckerberg.

Can't we just legislate them both out of existence instead? :moustache:

The advertising dollar will go where it is most effective to be sure. But when it comes to strictly news and newspapers, I'm pretty sure most of their decline in revenue is due to classifieds moving over to Realestate.com.au/carsales/seek etc (most of which are controlled by media organisations who own the newspapers anyway).

I agree no meaningful competition for Google and Facebook is a real problem. It needs a mind far smarter than mine to sort that out. But I'm pretty sure the proposed legislation isn't the answer. The Feds should focus their energy on making sure they pay their fair share of tax.

Facebook and the Aus Government managed to work something out

Facebook and the Aus Government managed to work something out

Of course, agreements being made that will affect everybody's access to information in this country are behind closed doors, without any external scrutiny or debate whatsoever.

I've heard people overseas refer to this country as Russia in the sun - it's this kind of activity that gives their opinion merit.

I can easily imagine those discussions between (Communications minister) Fletcher, (Treasurer) Frydenberg and Facebook going along these lines:

Fletcher: "Look, we just wanted to help out Rupert, who has always had our backs and this is an election year, after all... This is all just a big misunderstanding and I'm sure we can find a way that whatever you end up paying through this new legislation can be compensated (and some) through another means..."

Facebook: "We're happy to work with you as long as our business model and financial outcomes are not impacted negatively."

Frydenberg: "We're looking at adding a subsidy for digital platforms that can be used against the tax they pay in Australia..."

Facebook: "We're happy to look in the other direction should our platform be used to magnify and circulate slanderous misinformation about the opposition during the run-in to your election..."

Of course, agreements being made that will affect everybody's access to information in this country are behind closed doors, without any external scrutiny or debate whatsoever.

I've heard people overseas refer to this country as Russia in the sun - it's this kind of activity that gives their opinion merit.

I can easily imagine those discussions between (Communications minister) Fletcher, (Treasurer) Frydenberg and Facebook going along these lines:

Fletcher: "Look, we just wanted to help out Rupert, who has always had our backs and this is an election year, after all... This is all just a big misunderstanding and I'm sure we can find a way that whatever you end up paying through this new legislation can be compensated (and some) through another means..."

Facebook: "We're happy to work with you as long as our business model and financial outcomes are not impacted negatively."

Frydenberg: "We're looking at adding a subsidy for digital platforms that can be used against the tax they pay in Australia..."

Facebook: "We're happy to look in the other direction should our platform be used to magnify and circulate slanderous misinformation about the opposition during the run-in to your election..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ordinerolispeaking podcast (Neroli Meadows) that dropped today with NicNat is worth a listen

Saw something in a news article, something about how he used Julie Bishops contacts to get deep into Palestine near the Syrian border against the club's wishes.

Fearing for his life at one point

Hi All.

Thought you might be interested in something that I've written for The Mongrel Punt - this is Part 1 of 3.

Great summation, almost forgot how low things got between 07-10...real “hello darkness my old friend” vibes.

Hi All.

Thought you might be interested in something that I've written for The Mongrel Punt - this is Part 1 of 3.

Great read. Brought some feelings up I had long suppressed but good to remember where we’ve come from

Remove this Banner Ad

Back