Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Mods please ban this poster for putting Sliding Doors in the insightful media thread.
I dislike Damien Barrett immensely, especially his weekly butchering of the sliding doors concept, but

I found myself begrudgingly agreeing with most of his points this week

BRB banning myself

I dislike Damien Barrett immensely, especially his weekly butchering of the sliding doors concept, but

BRB banning myself
Same, apart form the self-promoting Robbo/Norf/Damo three way feud he is pushing...

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers

BRB banning myself
Doesn't seem to have a lot of love/respect for Norfs footy dept.
Yes most of his points were pretty on the mark as well.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Our game reviewed by Titus.

Western Bulldogs (100) v West Coast (93)

A classic.

A game that seesawed, well, like a seesaw, the Dogs managed to come from 14 points down in the final term to win this, thanks to a host of contributors.

The whole game had players trying to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drag it across the line.

Nic Naitanui was more force of nature than ruckman, while Jack Macrae showed he’s not a bad midfielder, finishing with a lazy 40 disposals and nine clearances.

What got the Doggies across the line was the sheer amount of players achieving or surpassing their personal best.

For a Bulldogs fan, the hardest decision in the upcoming few years is what number to get on your jumper. There is a lot to choose from.

Adding Adam Treloar has given the Doggies another gear, he was huge in the midfield in the last quarter.

Collingwood should feel proud of this victory, considering they contributed financially to it.

The Eagles will want to work on their composure a bit, but it’s nice to get some variety and lose in Melbourne instead of Queensland.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Caroline Wilson takes aim at "compromised" and "off-putting" AFL broadcasts

Caroline Wilson has taken aim at footy broadcasters scheduling club directors to commentate on their own teams.
The likes of Luke Darcy (Western Bulldogs), Mark Ricciuto (Adelaide) and Jimmy Bartel (GWS) have already been forced into the compromised situation, Darcy most notably during the Dogs’ win over West Coast in Round 2.

Wilson believes it frustrates viewers and puts the club staffers in difficult positions.
“There is just no excuse for TV networks and radio stations putting footy club directors behind the microphone to call their own footy teams, cost restrictions don’t cut it,” she told Footy Classified.
“Suggestions that the media is so cash-strapped or commentators so reliant on paying gigs that they have to rely on it is just

“This is nothing against Luke Darcy who called yesterday’s Western Bulldogs game, or Jimmy Bartel or Mark Ricciuto to name the current crop, but there is just no way their calls are not compromised when they’re so personally and sometimes professionally invested.
“Commentators like these calling their own footy clubs have to be acting even when their calls sound impartial. It’s off-putting for the audience, it compromises the callers and in the case of yesterday’s wonderful Bulldogs win, it was a case of poor scheduling by the Seven Network.
“It lacks integrity and it’s largely off-putting for the audience.”
Former Essendon captain Matthew Lloyd agreed with Wilson’s arrow.
“I reckon it’s unfair to Jimmy, Luke and the guys. Just don’t put them on those games,” Lloyd said.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Caroline Wilson has taken aim at footy broadcasters scheduling club directors to commentate on their own teams.
The likes of Luke Darcy (Western Bulldogs), Mark Ricciuto (Adelaide) and Jimmy Bartel (GWS) have already been forced into the compromised situation, Darcy most notably during the Dogs’ win over West Coast in Round 2.

Wilson believes it frustrates viewers and puts the club staffers in difficult positions.
“There is just no excuse for TV networks and radio stations putting footy club directors behind the microphone to call their own footy teams, cost restrictions don’t cut it,” she told Footy Classified.
“Suggestions that the media is so cash-strapped or commentators so reliant on paying gigs that they have to rely on it is just

“This is nothing against Luke Darcy who called yesterday’s Western Bulldogs game, or Jimmy Bartel or Mark Ricciuto to name the current crop, but there is just no way their calls are not compromised when they’re so personally and sometimes professionally invested.
“Commentators like these calling their own footy clubs have to be acting even when their calls sound impartial. It’s off-putting for the audience, it compromises the callers and in the case of yesterday’s wonderful Bulldogs win, it was a case of poor scheduling by the Seven Network.
“I reckon it’s unfair to Jimmy, Luke and the guys. Just don’t put them on those games,” Lloyd said.

Not usually a fan of Carro but she's on the money here. Commentary should be provided by neutral entities at all times. Nothing sucks the excitement out of a game more than listening to a deflated commentary team because their side is getting torched, and nothing is more infuriating than listening to biased barracking on the mic.

She actually nailed one

1617070449324.jpeg

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Not usually a fan of Carro but she's on the money here. Commentary should be provided by neutral entities at all times. Nothing sucks the excitement out of a game more than listening to a deflated commentary team because their side is getting torched, and nothing is more infuriating than listening to biased barracking on the mic.
I agree with this, except for the 2018 prelim half time show when we smashed Melbourne. Roos and Lyon looked like they'd just seen a car crash and Brerton could hardly hide his glee. Was amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

arfadunger

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Where does it start and finish though, directors, ex players, ex staff, supporters? Personally I think that the professionalism and standard of the commentators is more important than any club connection that they may have. Huddo has done some fantastic calls on what would have been heartbreaking Geelong losses and Dunstall is great in his special comments irrespective of whether Hawthorn is involved or not. Of course the networks don't really care about what we think, we're going to watch the footy anyway. If their commentators can provide an entertainment value to people who are indifferent as to whether they watch the footy is what they're interested in.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Where does it start and finish though, directors, ex players, ex staff, supporters? Personally I think that the professionalism and standard of the commentators is more important than any club connection that they may have. Huddo has done some fantastic calls on what would have been heartbreaking Geelong losses and Dunstall is great in his special comments irrespective of whether Hawthorn is involved or not. Of course the networks don't really care about what we think, we're going to watch the footy anyway. If their commentators can provide an entertainment value to people who are indifferent as to whether they watch the footy is what they're interested in.
That 2005 Nick Davis win against Geelong in the Semi must have killed Huddo inside, yet his call captured the excitement so well, that it still comes up 16 years later. A true professional and one of the best going around at the moment.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
That 2005 Nick Davis win against Geelong in the Semi must have killed Huddo inside, yet his call captured the excitement so well, that it still comes up 16 years later. A true professional and one of the best going around at the moment.
The Miracle on Grass in Brisbane springs to mind as well.

Huddo is the best in the business.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Probably anyone directly involved as a coach, administrator or director.

Another good edition of ask simmo. I’m liking these

Yeah, they are very good.

Helps that the comms team gets to pick the best of the literally hundreds of questions they would receive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back