Interactive map of Victorian based members

Remove this Banner Ad

as someone previously mentioned, its a nice exercise, but cannot be taken too seriously. We don't know the degree of drop off across the 20, the proportion of membership it represents, or the proportion of the towns membership (as a whole) that club represents

Yeah, would be nice to know a little bit more about the numbers - we know they're in order, but no idea of the percentages.

Where did this information come from? Was it from the AFL or some Herald-Sun poll. I seem to remember that Geelong has said there is about a 50/50 split of their members. 50% in Geelong and 50% outside Geelong, so I find the 90% figure for Geelong members being in Geelong confusing.
Not being able to access the maps or data, and if I'm understanding it correctly it could be that the concentration of Geelong members in Geelong would be greater than in Melbourne which would be spread out across a far greater number of suburbs so any Melbourne suburb would struggle to make the top 20

Not being able to access the maps or data, and if I'm understanding it correctly it could be that the concentration of Geelong members in Geelong would be greater than in Melbourne which would be spread out across a far greater number of suburbs so any Melbourne suburb would struggle to make the top 20

Spot on. Evidently attached was the Geelong map that appeared in yesterday's paper...

image.jpg

Out of curiosity if Fitzroy was still in the AFL where would their traditional heartland of members come from?

I'd say from their old recruiting zone in the eastern suburbs. Doncaster / Bulleen / Templestowe area.

The print figures are worse than ever.

I'd be amazed if the Herald Sun and The Age are still on paper in a decade.

dont disagree, but today, most people still read the paper rather than view the website

Where did this information come from? Was it from the AFL or some Herald-Sun poll. I seem to remember that Geelong has said there is about a 50/50 split of their members. 50% in Geelong and 50% outside Geelong, so I find the 90% figure for Geelong members being in Geelong confusing.

I have no idea where the OP's percentages came from - they don't make a lot of sense to me for many of the clubs. The actual info is from the Clubs.

This seems to vary based on the publication: http://www.roymorgan.com/industries/media/readership/newspaper-cross-platform-audience

Looking, the trashy ones still have the majority of "paper" readership, the higher quality ones are well and truly digital.

you need to be careful with those stats.

firstly fairfax sales were in a hole long before digital came on.

Secondly, what activity registers as a digital access? ifs its one link, I'd definitely not give that the same respect or credibility as one whole newspaper being sold (esp if I was an advertiser)

A better comparison would be those who buy a newspaper versus digital subscriptions

you need to be careful with those stats.

firstly fairfax sales were in a hole long before digital came on.

Secondly, what activity registers as a digital access? ifs its one link, I'd definitely not give that the same respect or credibility as one whole newspaper being sold (esp if I was an advertiser)

A better comparison would be those who buy a newspaper versus digital subscriptions

Yeah, not sure regarding what constitutes "digital access", but I suspect it would be more than just a single click/link. However, I certainly don't buy subscriptions, yet read the newspaper online. And many others do the same thing. So, it's quite difficult to tell overall. I suspect a lot more of the younger generations read online.

I think Canning Vale and Dianella are the highest because they are very big suburbs in area and thus population. If it was weighted I would guess Fremantle for Freo and Doubleview for West Coast

I remember reading somewhere that Sorrento/Duncraig had the highest concentration of Eagles members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone keep/have handy the list or map of any of Western, NM, Essendon or Carlton after the top 5 suburbs?
Especially North.
Cheers

There have always been supporters of other clubs living in the Western suburbs - Doug Hawkins, for example, grew up as a North supporter.

We are currently struggling on field and have been for the past three seasons and this is likely to continue for the next couple. Winning is everything in football and we need to rebound strongly from our current plight. The council areas of Melton and Wyndham are booming and if we do perform better we will grow our fan base substantially in these areas.
:rolleyes:I think many Bulldogs supporters would claim that three seasons ago it was a successful struggle though.

Main issue I have with this is it just counts total numbers of members in each suburb, not PERCENTAGE of club members from all clubs from that club. So if you have a suburb with 30,000 vs 3,000, the latter may be say 1% Hawthorn and the latter 9% but the map gives the idea the former is more a Hawthorn area. Like Sydney has way more AFL members than Geelong, but Geelong is much more an Aussie rules city.

I'm surprised there hasn't already been a thread made about this thus far, but...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/in...rship-heartlands/story-fni0fiyv-1227255772155

In terms of each club's membership concentration:

Adelaide - 75% within a 5km radius veering E/S of Melbourne
Brisbane - N/A
Carlton - 75% stretching from 4km to 22km N/NE of Melbourne
Collingwood - 2 clusters... one 6km to 14km N of Melbourne (45%), the other in the city centre (40%)
Essendon - high concentration in the western suburbs (50% stretching W/NW 5km to 25km)
Fremantle - scattered
Geelong - 90% within Geelong and the surrounding areas
Gold Coast - scattered
GWS Giants - scattered
Hawthorn - 80% stretching from 3km to 32km E/SE of Melbourne
North Melbourne - 45% stretching from 2km to 12km N of Melbourne (with Tassie the 4th highest concentration)
Melbourne - 70% stretching 3km to 20km E/SE of Melbourne and along the bayside
Port Adelaide - 70% scattered E/SE of Melbourne
Richmond - high concentration in the inner E/SE suburbs (70%) and bayside suburbs
St Kilda - 70% concentration trailing the bay (1/5 members bayside are St Kilda members)
Sydney Swans - scattered with a focus on the bay and in the SE suburbs
West Coast - scattered
Western Bulldogs - 100% veering W/NW of Melbourne

Interestingly North Melbourne have a higher concentration of members in Tasmania than Hawthorn according to the map.

Does any of this surprise you? How does it fit with popular / traditional supporter stereotypes
You can simplify this map:

North- North Melbourne
South- St Kilda
East- Hawthorn
West- Western Bulldogs

Rural people and city people that don’t like the city- Geelong

Filthy rich- Melbourne
Filthy poor- Collingwood

Mad- Richmond
Delusional- Essendon
Underground mafia- Carlton

All round good people that support their club through thick and thin even when they move interstate- Lions 😉

Hobart is much larger than Launceston, and Hawthorn have a much larger Victorian membership base so it is not surprising. Most of our heartland have been relatively small in terms of population base and just spread too thin everywhere else, I think the end of suburban football will be a boon for us long-term.

What is good to see is that our development regions in and around Werribee, Ballarat (now gone) and Tasmania have provided a significant impact since the AFL had given us funds to put into market development, for a long time while we had been breaking even we lacked the funds to spend on market growth.

Our top 4 regions are Point Cook, Werribee, Hoppers Crossing and Tarneit which are in the growth belt for Melbourne which is encouraging. I hope this is encouraging enough evidence to warrant future development in other growth regions.

It is probably not great news for the Dogs who also have Werribee, Point Cook, Hoppers Crossing and Tarneit in their 1 and 2 categories as well.

THE Bulldogs (the club that is) often report to their members that they are the number one supported club of all in each of the 5 western based local government areas - Maribyrnong, Brimbank, Melton, Wyndham and Hobsons Bay.

Still reckon their is room for zones so to speak. Not so much for players, just traditional areas where clubs can market, do community work in etc.
Dogs: Western suburbs
Essendon North Western corrudor
Carlton: North
Collingwood: North East
Hawthorn and Richmond split the eastern suburbs
St Kilda the Bay and South East
Freo and West Coast split by the river
Crows Eastern and Southern suburbs
Port Western and Northern suburbs
Sydney's and GWS is a natural divide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back