Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

In your humble what is the best way to drop fat, then?
The latest rage (as in sciency stuff from the grain free low carbers) is low carb, moderate calories, high protein (around 2 grams per "projected" body weight) with 8/16 intermittent fasting, and if you want to take it one more level a 36 hour fast once a week.

In your humble what is the best way to drop fat, then?

There is no shortcut to losing body fat. Fasting for three days won't magically get you shredded with a 6 pac. If you fast for 3 days you will drop more weight than say just eating restricted calories for 3 days. And yes once you eat you will put on weight, just by having food in your stomach and more water.

The only way to lose body fat is calorie restriction, there is many different ways to achieve this through fasting, intermittent fasting, 2 big meals, 6 small meals. Low carb high fat, keto......Ultimately the best way to lose body fat is find a system you can best stick to.

Uhhh, so, you know... not eating is a good way to lose weight... obviously not forever, but my point that not eating = losing weight remains.

Uhhh, so, you know... not eating is a good way to lose weight... obviously not forever, but my point that not eating = losing weight remains.
the point is intermittent fasting (regardless of the length of time) will do bugger all for improving your physique unless your eating a well balanced diet whilst in calorie deficit

ffs I know. But if you do not eat for three days it is not absurd to expect some weight to drop. I'm not saying it's a viable, long term option for weight loss. It's a genuine curiosity.

ffs I know. But if you do not eat for three days it is not absurd to expect some weight to drop. I'm not saying it's a viable, long term option for weight loss. It's a genuine curiosity.
It's already been pointed out to you that by not eating for three days the weight you lose is mostly water, it will all go back on the day you re-feed (and re-feeding IS the most important part of a 3 day fast)

It's already been pointed out to you that by not eating for three days the weight you lose is mostly water, it will all go back on the day you re-feed (and re-feeding IS the most important part of a 3 day fast)
All I asked is if the weight would stay off.

I understand two things, that the weight will come back on (but did not know how much) and that it is not a long-term solution for genuine weight loss.

Jeeeez

I think silent alarm is either a troll or a simpleton.....I think we've all donated time enough answering the question.

All I asked is if the weight would stay off.

I understand two things, that the weight will come back on (but did not know how much) and that it is not a long-term solution for genuine weight loss.

Jeeeez
No its not, u don't fast to perm drop weight
Look up ketosis and read about the process the body goes thru if u want to healthy drop weight

I know this one carries a huge stigma amongst certain circles and there's a lot of misconceptions regarding fasting amongst the nutritional community/body building fraternity etcet. But does anyone else on here use fasting as a diet method/in their day to day lives and what have been your results?

Me personally I've dropped 4 kilos in the last 2 months but have noticed a big difference in my muscle definition. On days where I fast I find my energy levels are huge and I've had no loss whatsoever of muscle mass (a myth perpetuated by some re: fasting).

Some people are vehemently against it and I'd never try and push it on anyone, I just know that for me personally it works very well and i'll continue with it for the remainder of my days. I do 5 days of eating with 2 days fasted however some prefer to follow the 16 hours fasted with an 8 hour window to fit your meals in.

For those interested in a couple of the methods, look up lean gains (a ridiculously good website/resource, Martin Berkhan is a beast) or if you can get your hands on a copy of the ebook Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon they outline exactly what it entails.

Anyone else here pro fast? What have been your experiences? On the flip side anyone here anti Fasting? Interested in your thoughts too.

Great opening post from 5 years ago.

IF is now being supported by science, and dietitians are slowly coming around to supporting it.

Just watched a video from a pt at my gym. Claims there’s no muscle gain or fat loss benefits of IF and that it should only be used by people who get bloated.
Sigh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Health benefits aside I honestly find fasting to be immensely psychologically satisfying.

It's very liberating to be able to suppress a primal urge like hunger for extended periods of time. I'm only speaking from the position of someone completing 24 hour fasts, I can't imagine what it feels like to get into the 2-3 day category :thumbsu:

I'm not sure if "suppress" is really the correct verb to describe what fasting achieves but you get my point.

It's very liberating to be able to suppress a primal urge like hunger for extended periods of time. I'm only speaking from the position of someone completing 24 hour fasts, I can't imagine what it feels like to get into the 2-3 day category :thumbsu:

I get that feeling when I wait half an hour after getting to work before my first coffee :oops:

I would like to see research into diets and success and their relationship to that conquering feeling. I change my diet and try giving up all meat or to just eat a meal a day and after that fortnight, you feel great. The lightness, lower kilograms is a nice thing too but that feeling of success makes you feel as though you've actually achieved something.

It's why I'd consider giving up all alcohol (I love a beer) and going vegan for even a month, just that feeling.

Out of interest do any of you hardcore fasters notice changes to your sleeping patterns?

I find myself needing far less sleep on my fasting days, wake up fresh as a daisy after 6 hours

Between uni, work, and other commitments I'm lucky to get 6 hours on a normal day anyway.

I do notice it's a lot harder to fall asleep on days I'm doing 36hr fasts, though I do often tend to hit the black coffee until later in the day than I normally would to suppress my appetite on those days.

Absolutely have found this to be the case.

I do one fast per week - 24 hours.

Next day generally feel amazing. Wake between between 5am and 6am. Normally 7ish

I generally do two 32-36 hour fasts per week...Tuesday and Thursday...feel fine as the following morning...pretty routine now...

Is it something along the lines of because your body hasn't had to expend any energy with digesting food...

I generally do two 32-36 hour fasts per week...Tuesday and Thursday...feel fine as the following morning...pretty routine now...

Is it something along the lines of because your body hasn't had to expend any energy with digesting food...

Do you eat nothing at all? Just fluids?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back