Opinion Is it the Coach or Players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What is causing our continual and irrelevant mediocrity?

As documented I think Scott is an ordinary coach and won't take us anywhere. I'm confident Laidley would have taken us further with the same resources and talent.

However, seeing our senior players so obviously let him down almost every week, makes me also think Scott (or any coach) has little to work with. Which leads us here regardless. Hence our senior players and talent issue, not Scott at all and very unfair to blame the coach.

Is it the Coach or our players?

Last edited:
I'm inclined to think its a bit of both. However listening to Drew on ABC radio today, I'm actually leaning more towards the players. The coach had instructed them to play a certain way and the players, as said by Drew, got back to defend, but when the ball released forward didn't push up and pressure their mids and half backs.

It's hard to know for sure. Sadly history will usually suggest it was the coach to blame as the players of a sacked coach always get a chance to redeem themselves, but the sacked coach rarely gets a new set of players to redeem himself with.

Bit more of this....the fapping around the boundary after the Lions game last Saturday night...was BS...16th...87 points and we stand around patting ourselves knowing the next month was coming up...

Starts at 2.28...and refers to a 7 goal first q dismal effort...{apologies to Brad S if he has already let rip}

Lol @ Laidley doing better. He chopped and changed our gameplan as much as Scott has, to whatever was in vogue at the time.

FFs, our finals defeats under him were no better then Scott's finals thrashing.

Is it any wonder that every club he has gone too has gotten worser under his watch?

Take the rose coloured glasses off, Laids was a dud.

Players live and die by their actions, what they produce and what they don't. Coaches are no different.
I think our bloke made the fundamental mistake of teaching a side how to attack first, then practically trying to get rid of the bad habits to teach em how to defend. Says everything about his continued upside down ethos. Feels like there has never been a line in the sand of where and what the hell we actually stand for. What are our values?

I hope that Geoff Walsh knows the answer to this question.

I blame Jame Brayshaws :stern look

He put his friendship with Scotts ahead of the NMFC giving him a contract till 2016. :stern look

Now we are stuck with Mr Indecisive. Game Plan after Game Plan of Easy Fixes and Over Corrections. No wonder the players don't know what the **** to do.

It's simple my friends. NMFC under Schimma = Shit. The same NMFC players under Dangles = 2 Flags. Port under Primus = Shit. Practically the same group of Port of players under Hinkley = Top of the Table. :stern look

We have the list. We didn't beat Port, Sydney and Freo by mistake. The players have it in them to succeed. They however need guidance and inspiration. They need a coach that gets the best out of them consistently. A coach that demands excellence from the playing group and receives it. Ask yourselves is Brad Scotts that man. :stern look

I'm inclined to think its a bit of both. However listening to Drew on ABC radio today, I'm actually leaning more towards the players. The coach had instructed them to play a certain way and the players, as said by Drew, got back to defend, but when the ball released forward didn't push up and pressure their mids and half backs.
So the players are not playing for the coach or jumper and that is a big worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After what i have seen this season im super critical of both.

Im getting over the Brad Scott experiment real quick this season. He either gets tough and demands physicality and desire from everyone or goes...

Too simplistic to blame one or the other.

Too simplistic and too irrelevant. But humour him, he's fishing for people to blame Brad Scott. So the things I blame Brad Scott for include, but are not limited to, the following things.

* North losing last night.
* The self-serve checkouts at supermarkets always requiring assistance
* No railway line out to Tullamarine
* What Gabi Grecko wore at Hafey's funeral.
* Caroline Wilson
* Malaysian Airways Flight 370
* New Coke
* Every Adam Sandler movie since The Wedding Singer.
* Azaria Chamberlain
* The DRS in cricket
* Global Financial Crisis
* The traffic on the Monash Freeway last night.
* Scott Cam winning a Gold Logie
* The final episode of Dexter
* Essendon's pharmaceutical experimental environment
* Everything my wife blames me for (that, is everything)

Last edited:
Its an interesting question:

I'm sitting watching Port and wondering do they have that much more talent on their list than we do?

I don't think they do, so why are they so much better than us?

They have better top end talent- skill, consistency ,speed , flexibility

We are to one paced and soft= bad combo

A good sports psychologist may be the answer.

Don't get me wrong they have talent eg: Gray, Wingard, Hartlett and a couple of others but its just about workrate and not wanting to let your teammates down.
Hmmm, there's a lot more than those 3 Harris 10 ......Boak, Wines, Ebert, Polec(getting better every week). There's a heap on the next rung down too I reckon.

*edit: In fairness every one of those 7 is a top 10 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back