Which player(s) do you think will step up this offseason and either cement themselves in the team or go to a whole new level?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
List management and draft speak getting a bit tiring. Thought I'd put this out there before official pre-season training even gets underway.

There's obvious ones like Wardlaw and Comben if/when they get their bodies right.

Bit under the radar and I wouldn't put money on it, but I have a sneaking suspicion Charlie Lazarro could be one to surprise a few.

Who are other players people think could step up this upcoming pre-season? Even better if evidence based and not just a hunch (like mine). Thoughts please?

Backing in my boy Curtis Taylor the running machine. Hopefully plays more half forward with short stints on the wing to rotate

Zac Fisher to be in All aus convo for HBF

Will Phillips. William A. Phillips. It will retroactively have become obvious and inevitable that once he'd shaken off the lingering effects of glandular fever, he would become one of the most exciting young midfielders in the league. Everyone will pretend to have always known this and always been in his corner. As Logan McDonald slinks back to WA, all the assertions that everyone in our club involved in the decision to pick Will over him should be sacked, it was akin to tanking for us to so egregiously neglect our key forward stocks and therefore we should be given no assistance ever etc, all shall miraculously vanish. It'll be like blinking into a new reality. No one will have ever called him a bust after not even two seasons of senior football, because such a person could never credibly hold a job in the media.

A mixture of evidence based & wishful thinking;
Will Phillips and Tom Powell having uninterrupted pre-seasons followed with a consistent run of senior games to silence the doubters.
Tarryn Thomas putting a turbulent couple of years behind him and finally realising his full potential resulting in an AA guernsey.
George Wardlaw and LDU both having injury free years resulting in a Rising Star and Brownlow Medal.
Everything clicking for CCJ.
Paul Curtis closing the gap between is best and his worst.
Toby Pink will surprise everyone playing 22 games.

Last edited:
I will post who I hope for:

Tarryn Thomas.

And if he does watch the f*** out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's honestly kind of ridiculous how many players on our list have had a depressed output due to adverse circumstances for one or more years. We might have the most room for organic improvement within the list in the entire league. If even 2 or 3 of LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Phillips, Powell, Comben, Bergman, Goater and Archer have a full pre-season and a good injury run, we'll be so much better than we've been, they'll lift the others with them.

If it’s even possible for Sheez to reach another level he will. Arguably the most driven player on our list
Im more optomistic of other players going to another level next season BECAUSE sheez is on the list, drag 'em up with him type.

Could argue on behalf of about 20 blokes in this thread. I reckon two of X, CCJ or Chom because of they don’t we are in big trouble

Tarryn Thomas.

It is a contract year, and it is all about the Benjamins, ala Greenbucks.

i would like to post view by line.

Chom in Our forward line if he can get his body right he could be anything

Wardlaw in the Mid, as above he is a beast and can change games.

Dawson in the backline, given a set of games I think he could be a great intercept player.

love a lot of what Eddie Ford bought in the 2nd half of the season. Tarryn Thomas as well for just getting his game consistent for 25 touches and 1-2 goals a game and would love to see Will Phillips get to a clean run at it and hold down a spot somewhere.

Goater's the only one I steadfastly believe will do it. Too many tools for us (and him) not to capitalise.

Hopes are Phillips, Bergman, Powell, B George (if he even counts), Comben, Dawson. Massive asterisk on Comben because I'll be delighted if he simply makes it to ten consecutive games.

Not sure where everyone fits, but there's enough talent for things to turn quickly. It's up to the lads now to work their ******* asses off and for the gods to cease shitting on us from a great height for a bit

Bergman.
Comben.
Goater.

Also think with a hopefully renewed TT, full season from LDU and Simpkin there will be some serious room for others with less pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back