Coach Emma Kearney - will join Clarko's coaching team as development coach and player development co-ordinator

Remove this Banner Ad

They are not relevant.

You don't learn AFL defensive structures at VAFA level, as they aren't relevant.

I don't want to presume anything but have you had much to do with amateur and local footy recently?

The stronger sides at all those levels do have very, very similar structures to AFL sides. And AFLW players get more time to work on it than pretty much anything under the VFL.

I guess in this case we’d be comparing Lauren Jackson to an NBL player most people have barely heard of. Hard to believe BJK played to get past the “any man is better than any woman” debate more than 50 years ago.

It’s a pointless discussion in any case. The question is what Kearney brings to the coaching group - with the added information that if we didn’t have her we would have another woman learning to coach or we’d have an empty space. I’m going to go out in a limb and say she’s a better bet than other options and deserves time to make the most of the opportunity and increase her contribution to the men’s team.
If anyone has yet to see the Will Phillips video posted to socials last week, I'd recommend watching it. You will see straight away the value that Emma Kearney offers to the football department through her perception, knowledge, and skills as an educator. Emma's capacity for observing and perceiving the unique learning pathways of each player coming into the club will undoubtedly benefit the development of players, coaches, and the team.

I don't want to presume anything but have you had much to do with amateur and local footy recently?

The stronger sides at all those levels do have very, very similar structures to AFL sides. And AFLW players get more time to work on it than pretty much anything under the VFL.

Yes and I've played plenty of it.

The game at the very top of local football is not similar to AFL football, in any way shape or form.

Yes and I've played plenty of it.

The game at the very top of local football is not similar to AFL football, in any way shape or form.
That's interesting that you say that because I was talking with a bloke at the game on Sunday who coaches Division 1 of the WFNL and he insists that the structures and zones and tactics are exactly the same as the AFL, and any team that doesn't follow these trends gets left behind very quickly. I appreciate that your experience may not be the same.

That's interesting that you say that because I was talking with a bloke at the game on Sunday who coaches Division 1 of the WFNL and he insists that the structures and zones and tactics are exactly the same as the AFL, and any team that doesn't follow these trends gets left behind very quickly. I appreciate that your experience may not be the same.

That aligns with my interpretation as well.

Xavier Clarke is the assistant coach I'm most unimpressed with.

For Patch Adams, put it into perspective.

From last year to this year, he no longer has;
  • The best tap ruckman in the AFL
  • Ben Cunnington
  • Jack Ziebell
  • Jy Simpkin has been concussed and his midfield/on-ball minutes are severely limited
  • Sheezel rotated through the mid last year more than he has so far this year
  • LDU is out of form
  • Phillips has played one game
  • etc etc
Your opinion reeks of misogyny racism btw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back