AFLW #9: Emma Kearney - Shinboner #1 - 8 times AA from 8 seasons - Our Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

She is currently in talks to extend her contract, she believes she has another year or two in the tank.
Hard to argue when she is AA and finishing the year really strongly. She’d only retire if she had other things she wanted to do more, but they always say you’re a long time retired, and it would be fun playing alongside Kate for more than one season.

I would understand a push for Erin Phillips, but Daisy Pearce should not necessarily be put on a pedestal above Erin, Emma, and possibly half a dozen other pioneers and champions.
Daisy has broken down a lot of barriers with her insightful work off the field. She is a credit to the game, but I agree that I would choose Phillips or Kearney first.

For all the pace the commentators mention of her I don't see it at all. although obvs she might be slowing down with age

Very classy post match press conference on the ground. Obviously hurting a lot - especially the Q&A about Jenna - but so professional and positive. Adamant that the result makes no difference to her plans, and that even even though she and Kate are older there’s a lot of youth in the group and they’ve come a long way this season.

Very classy post match press conference on the ground. Obviously hurting a lot - especially the Q&A about Jenna - but so professional and positive. Adamant that the result makes no difference to her plans, and that even even though she and Kate are older there’s a lot of youth in the group and they’ve come a long way this season.

“Bums on seats, smiles on faces”.

Thanks H2H for bringing this presser to our attention. Emma is elite & smart. We are so lucky to have Emma as the foundation upon which we are building our club back to success.

Love her to death, and if she wants to go around again I absolutely welcome it.

However, I do wonder if she was 100% fit yesterday? Watching her a lot during the day (because she's my daughter's favourite player), and she really didn't seem to be able to run at her usual pace? Did anyone else notice that?

Love her to death, and if she wants to go around again I absolutely welcome it.

However, I do wonder if she was 100% fit yesterday? Watching her a lot during the day (because she's my daughter's favourite player), and she really didn't seem to be able to run at her usual pace? Did anyone else notice that?
got caught a few times

She is currently in talks to extend her contract, she believes she has another year or two in the tank.
So when does the transition to another captain happen. No doubt Jas should be the next captain but will she accept it or do we look at someone else like Riddell or do we go dual captains in Jas and Ash?

So when does the transition to another captain happen. No doubt Jas should be the next captain but will she accept it or do we look at someone else like Riddell or do we go dual captains in Jas and Ash?
Good question, I guess it depends on how long Emma signs for, if it's two years, you would think Emma stays captain next year and transitions in 2025, but if it's only one, then maybe the transition starts next year. I would hope Garner excepts the Captaincy, if offered, she has the respect of everyone at the club, and it could be the next step in her development.

I don’t think her pace was the issue.

Lions had a hard matchup on her around stoppages and trying to reduce her run off half back.

She needed help. Same with Garner in the middle. Something to work on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all sure why after the season we just watched we are discussing transitioning the 8-time AA GF captain out of leadership or the team.

Yeah it's almost as if she didn't just have another All Australian season the way some of these people are nudging her out the door.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back