Coach Emma Kearney - will join Clarko's coaching team as development coach and player development co-ordinator

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed.

Hopefully we can build a much better tciaching/management eam than we've had previously.
I think she'll make a good teacher/dev coach. She is supportive of her team mates but doesn't mind giving them a spray either, is very smart, has a great footy IQ with alot of experience as well (Like Boomer) and is an unquestionably good footballer. One of the absolute best in her comp.

I think she'll make a good teacher/dev coach. She is supportive of her team mates but doesn't mind giving them a spray either, is very smart, has a great footy IQ with alot of experience as well (Like Boomer) and is an unquestionably good footballer. One of the absolute best in her comp.

Players will also respect her given how much of a star she has been.

If they do, surely they can get off the bus too. Not that it will pose a problem though.
I highly doubt anyone would give her attitude, I reckon Clarko is gonna give jas garner a mens contract too🥰

I highly doubt anyone would give her attitude, I reckon Clarko is gonna give jas garner a mens contract too🥰
Yeh I highly doubt that too.
Jassy sounds like the next likely candidate, which I'd absolutely love!

Yeh I highly doubt that too.
Jassy sounds like the next likely candidate, which I'd absolutely love!
I also reckon the best person to teach younger players/draftees how to balance their footy is aflw players because most have a second job and stuff like that

I also reckon the best person to teach younger players/draftees how to balance their footy is aflw players because most have a second job and stuff like that
You’re right with the AFLW players having to deal with that balance but as far as the AFL, I think it’s a very small percentage, if any, these days that actually work a second job when they’re on an AFL list. Is that right?
Studying is extremely common, but different to an actual job most of the time.

There’s a reason why the pay difference between the AFL & AFLW is often a hot topic. As you’ve mentioned, Jas Garner (a plumber by trade i think?) is a great example for the current batch of AFLW players balancing both a work life & footy, but I’d think much of her experience is not relevant to most guys on an AFL list.

BTW, to clarify, not knocking her at all. Big supporters. My daughter has her 25 on her guernsey.

You’re right with the AFLW players having to deal with that balance but as far as the AFL, I think it’s a very small percentage, if any, these days that actually work a second job when they’re on an AFL list. Is that right?
Studying is extremely common, but different to an actual job most of the time.

There’s a reason why the pay difference between the AFL & AFLW is often a hot topic. As you’ve mentioned, Jas Garner (a plumber by trade i think?) is a great example for the current batch of AFLW players balancing both a work life & footy, but I’d think much of her experience is not relevant to most guys on an AFL list.

BTW, to clarify, not knocking her at all. Big supporters. My daughter has her 25 on her guernsey.
I agree with that in the narrow sense. But I think the groundedness of the AFLW players is an important reality-check for kids - that have never had a real job - about the level of life-focus required for success, and a present reminder of what life is like without the golden ticket of an AFL contract.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with that in the narrow sense. But I think the groundedness of the AFLW players is an important reality-check for kids that have never had a real job about the level of life-focus required for success, and a present reminder of the what life is like without the golden ticket of an AFL contract.

Spot on there hsquid.

Things will and are slowly changing for the women's game, and as time passes maybe there will come a day where the players in the women's comp will at least be paid a living wage. And as much as I want that to happen, I also don't want them to lose the wonderful grassroots feel. The girls bring a palpable open-heartedness to the game that you just don't sense with the men. There's still a sense of quiet triumph at just being out there on the field in a jumper, no matter which way the score is going. And you see that across the whole comp, no matter where any team's ladder position. It feels like the joy of just being there still trumps business for them, and I hope they never lose that. And they may not either, because in essence they're still playing a men's game in a men's world. That alone creates unspoken ties that bind. But it's the spirit they bring that I love so much, and it's why I wish more fans of our men's team would look beyond the skill level thing and just give it a try watching. Especially when they're a good chance to win a Premiership this year.

Overall, I guess my point is that hopefully Kearney will be able to bring some of that wonderful spirit and open-hearted joy of the game to our boys, along with her work ethic and footy nous.

As Jazzy Garner would say "GoRoos!" (amongst other things!;))

Kearney has an aura about her that is quite intimidating. Even with her recent press conference, you can just feel that slight anxiousness of reporters not wanting to ask her obnoxious questions. She holds effusiveness in her praise back, and does not go overboard with hyperbole when talking about her teammates. Now and again when warranted, she will give glowing praise that you know from her smile comes across 100% genuine. I have little doubt these young players will be doing all the right things if even just to chase that legitimate praise from her.

Kearney has an aura about her that is quite intimidating. Even with her recent press conference, you can just feel that slight anxiousness of reporters not wanting to ask her obnoxious questions. She holds effusiveness in her praise back, and does not go overboard with hyperbole when talking about her teammates. Now and again when warranted, she will give glowing praise that you know from her smile comes across 100% genuine. I have little doubt these young players will be doing all the right things if even just to chase that legitimate praise from her.

She's a born competitor. Back in the day I think she refreshed Jack, Jamie and Sam's views on the North podcast with how aggressively minded the AFLW players can be.

Emma is a welcome change to 2 decades of North Melbourne players hugging and kissing their opponents after losses.

Loved her "past my prime" whack.

She's a born competitor. Back in the day I think she refreshed Jack, Jamie and Sam's views on the North podcast with how aggressively minded the AFLW players can be.

Emma is a welcome change to 2 decades of North Melbourne players hugging and kissing their opponents after losses.
She definitely comes across as somebody who doesn’t worry too much about politics. For her, AFLW and North are serious business, and the way she goes to bat for both doesn’t come off as defensive, but makes you feel like a doofus for even asking the question.

Honestly haven’t heard her speak much but the way you describe her she sounds like a modern day syd barker.
She should’ve been captaining us from the get go but we were knocked back from a licence.

Honestly haven’t heard her speak much but the way you describe her she sounds like a modern day syd barker.
She should’ve been captaining us from the get go but we were knocked back from a licence.

I think it was the right decision from the AFL to award licenses to clubs who had less historic women's football engagement and ran netball clubs in direct competition for the same talent pool as AFLW dibs before us.

I think it was the right decision from the AFL to award licenses to clubs who had less historic women's football engagement and ran netball clubs in direct competition for the same talent pool as AFLW dibs before us.
I do love that we were the first club coming into existence that actually have our draft concessions reneged on, for the fairness of the competition of course.

Last edited:
I do love that we were the first club coming into existence that actually had draft concessions reneged on, for the fairness of the competition of course.

Boils my blood, honestly.

We're labelled at doing too effective an initial list build and suitably kneecapped using absolute no objective or statistical basis at the draft.

Every club prior or since including Richmond and * who poached just as well credentialed star players cruised into the draft unhindered.

Boils my blood, honestly.

We're labelled at doing too effective an initial list build and suitably kneecapped using absolute no objective or statistical basis at the draft.

Every club prior or since including Richmond and * who poached just as well credentialed star players cruised into the draft unhindered.
I wouldn’t have it any other way..
stupid shortsighted afl, they could’ve had a dominate Tasmanian/North Melbourne Kangaroos team to push forward as a successful model for our mens team.
I can say that now as that ship has long sailed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back