Coach Emma Kearney - will join Clarko's coaching team as development coach and player development co-ordinator

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, my summary:
  • it is a coaching development program for eight women to be enrolled in. Interested clubs had to apply and it is only operating for those eight women and the clubs employing them.
  • the funding is as quoted, by club and league and with set soft cap exemptions (unspecified).
  • so for women only, and at this stage only for the eight women in the successful applications.
Strange call from the AFL. You'd think they should give every club a fair go and with only 8 women in the program, it means at least 10 clubs will miss out on it. They should have gone without the limitation on the number of women and simply assessed every application on its merits. If a club hasn't applied or hasn't been successful that's fair. But limiting it to 8 means that some good applications can miss out.

Great news. She'll be a really good fit for the young team. I like the mention of 'holistic development.' Something different and given her personality and approachability she would be excellent for the young player's.

Just out of curiosity...it mentions educator. Does she have a degree in education or sport pedagogy? Probably written someehere and I've missed it.

Last edited:
Great news. She'll be a really good fit for the young team. I like the mention of 'holistic development.' Something different and given her personality she would be excellent for the young player's given she is so approachable.

Just out of curiosity...it mentions educator. Does she have a degree in education or sport pedagogy? Probably written someone and I've missed it.
She has a Bachelor degree in Physical Education (Ballarat University).

Strange call from the AFL. You'd think they should give every club a fair go and with only 8 women in the program, it means at least 10 clubs will miss out on it. They should have gone without the limitation on the number of women and simply assessed every application on its merits. If a club hasn't applied or hasn't been successful that's fair. But limiting it to 8 means that some good applications can miss out.
I wouldn't be surprised if the program was due to some grant money and the AFL doesn't want to spend a dime of their own revenue.

I assume it's just a pilot before running it out competition wide.

She has a Bachelor degree in Physical Education (Ballarat University).

Cheers. Thought so. I forgot about the cricket stuff. I'm sure Richmond would be all over trying to get someone like Ash Barty into a role like this (even if it's part-time).

It will be interesting if Gavin Brown and Boomer come across another first year player showing signs up-yourself-itis as we saw from whats-his-name earlier this year. I expect he will be sent straight to Emma K's office where she will have a mandate from the board and senior coach to rip him a new one. Then if he sooks to his manager, the manager will be invited in for a conversation and may never reappear.

It will be interesting if Gavin Brown and Boomer come across another first year player showing signs up-yourself-itis as we saw from whats-his-name earlier this year. I expect he will be sent straight to Emma K's office where she will have a mandate from the board and senior coach to rip him a new one. Then if he sooks to his manager, the manager will be invited in for a conversation and may never reappear.
I think ripping him a new one would be the old method that Brown and Boomer could do on their own, but the whole point of getting Emma in with a teaching background is to use more modern and appropriate methods to get the player back on track

I think ripping him a new one would be the old method that Brown and Boomer could do on their own, but the whole point of getting Emma in with a teaching background is to use more modern and appropriate methods to get the player back on track
With the benefit of hindsight, I like my method best. I suspect that we handled the little s**t with kid gloves all year when he really needed a swift boot up the arse.

Excellent. I really know very little about her, but she sure carries herself in a way that befits the position.

Only had to listen to Ash talking about the impact that Em K made coming back into the team last week.

They “walk taller” with Em in the team regardless of her output in the game and that’s what leaders do and inspire!

Having someone like Em in the coaching program, both learning and inspiring will be good for the team and great learning for Em to coach in her own right at some stage for AFLW or AFL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Women’s Coach Acceleration program

Nine AFL Clubs have been awarded positions in the Women’s Coach Acceleration Program where they will be employed for a minimum two-year period between now and 2025. The program involves a formal mentorship with a senior men’s AFL coach and a Level 3 Coaching Accreditation achieved as a minimum. The program is co-funded by the respective Club, together with the AFL, with relevant Soft Cap exemptions in place. "

Sounds like a free hit on an additional development coach. The club has done well to capitalize on it and I think we've chosen a great recipient. This is the same scheme that landed Daisy Pearce at Geelong.

Strange that it's only 9. I suppose the other 9 may not have applied for it, but I would have thought something like this would be league-wide

I observed how patient and caring Emma was when working with my students last Tuesday. A loss for the
Huddle but a win for the club overall.

The Huddle delivers again with delivering talent that benefits the very club that established it. Who'd have thought that it was a good investment! Colour me surprised!

The Huddle's track record is so good and I'm sure they'll replace Emma with another quality person where they help many others and grow personally and professionally themselves. Win win.

Great appointment. Congrats Emma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back