Coach Emma Kearney - will join Clarko's coaching team as development coach and player development co-ordinator

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange that it's only 9. I suppose the other 9 may not have applied for it, but I would have thought something like this would be league-wide
It was initially only going to be for six. Hawthorn complained after missing out, and the AFL subsequently expanded it to nine (adding them, Brisbane and Essendon).

West Coast and Sydney were the only clubs that didn't apply.

Surely there's conflict of interest issues there for Pearce.
She won't be going to Geelong until retiring, which is probably only a couple weeks away but the 2-year contract is good until 2025.

It was initially only going to be for six. Hawthorn complained after missing out, and the AFL subsequently expanded it to nine (adding them, Brisbane and Essendon).

West Coast and Sydney were the only clubs that didn't apply.

She won't be going to Geelong until retiring, which is probably only a couple weeks away but the 2-year contract is good until 2025.
That is very on brand for Hawthorn. Interesting that both they and Essendon have their senior AFLW coaches enrolled.

The Huddle delivers again with delivering talent that benefits the very club that established it. Who'd have thought that it was a good investment! Colour me surprised!

The Huddle's track record is so good and I'm sure they'll replace Emma with another quality person where they help many others and grow personally and professionally themselves. Win win.

Great appointment. Congrats Emma.
Would absolutely love to see Majak back at the huddle.

The Huddle delivers again with delivering talent that benefits the very club that established it. Who'd have thought that it was a good investment! Colour me surprised!

The Huddle's track record is so good and I'm sure they'll replace Emma with another quality person where they help many others and grow personally and professionally themselves. Win win.

Great appointment. Congrats Emma.
The Huddle is a massive asset for the club, it's a shame that some are too blinkered by culture wars to appreciate it.

The Huddle is a massive asset for the club, it's a shame that some are too blinkered by culture wars to appreciate it.
It's a way to grow when from the outside no one would want to go for us, especially when we've gone on long losing streaks.

A win-win for the people we're supporting and also our club.

A terrific appointment. I think I might've posted it here before but her speech before a game where she told her team "I don't need you to be remarkable, I just need you to be reliable" has stuck with me. I also don't think you can find a better mentor for 1-3 year players than her. Arguably the best women's player ever so far, an educator and a AFLW club captain. If she can't teach personal development, good off field habits and preparation, I think we'd struggle to find someone that could. Go Emma

Great stuff Emma! Definitely deserves it! I couldn't think of a more deserving North person to take it on.

Go well Emma!

A ripping appointment and i can't wait to see what she can do with the younger lads, an absolute pro with a great footy brain, will be a huge loss for the AFLW team if she decides to hang up the boots though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought that was odd as well. Seems like a missed opportunity to nurture & develop emerging talent.
Nat Wood is only early days at the AFLW level, but I was surprised Bec Goddard didn’t already have her level 3. Anyway, it’s great to see and interesting to see the different ways clubs have used the opportunity.

It really seems to miss the point of creating a coaching pathway through a virtual apprenticeship if they are doing it with Bec Goddard.
I thought that, but if she doesn’t have level 3, even with her experience in the women‘s game, I’m glad she gets to share in it and potentially open up more coaching options.

Hope Robert Wagner isn’t appointed Essendon CEO.

Apologies to anyone under the age of 100 who are looking puzzled.
Yeah he and Stephanie should’ve been Shinboners..

1668122898236.jpeg

Kearney is more like Simpson when it comes to Captaincy.

Of our last 5 Captains post Carey I’d rate Boomer 4th.

Let’s hope that this sends her on the pathway to take over from Crocker.

This is such a great appointment. Aside from all her personal qualities, and aside from the league-wide symbolism involved, it's also a big, meaningful win for diversity and the direct and indirect benefits it brings.

Having people with different backgrounds and different life experiences gives more perspectives and makes the football department less susceptible to blindspots and group think.
And the prominent positioning of a woman in the coaching group is a blaring siren that a great team and a strong spirit doesn't require everyone to be the same. You can be male or female, gay or straight, loud or quiet, black or white, urban or rural, bogan or toff: The core bonding value is to be a shinboner and the rest is noise.

Last edited:
not only is this fantastic for Emma, great for the footy club, and a positive step for women's footy, but it's also going to deeply upset all the right people.

Love it. Congratulations to an icon of our footy club

Haven't been visiting BF as much, but came here to see this topic discussed as I'm a big fan.

Couldn't have said this better myself, AnEmptyChair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back