Coach Emma Kearney - will join Clarko's coaching team as development coach and player development co-ordinator

Remove this Banner Ad

The one blessing to come from not being granted a foundation license in the AFLW is that we most likely wouldn't have been able to draft Emma Kearney, Jas Garner, Emma King, Jenna Bruton, or Tahlia Randall in that original draft. They all chose to come to us once we had a team. They may not have been able to find their way to us if we were part of the first 8 clubs.

No club had Blackburn as their 1st marquee choice, nor Kearney as their 2nd. We would've.

In a world where the AFL didn't give our licence to Carlton: the Pies would've selected Brianna Davey as their 2nd marquee, which would've left Emma King as our priority signing.

The original teams all overlooked Riddell, so it's not a leap to say we would've been perceptive enough to take both Garner and Bruton higher than what they were in their respective drafts.

Randall would've still wanted out of Brisbane after two seasons, and it would've been no harder to recruit her than it was to get Kim Rennie.

Only favour the AFL did us was allowing exclusive access to Tasmanian players, though ultimately it would've been Tasmanian footy that suffered more without such an arrangement.

Looks like a kid in a candy shop out there with Clarko.

She would absolutely realise the privileged position she is in to be able to learn her coaching craft from one of the best ever.

Will make every opportunity count.

No club had Blackburn as their 1st marquee choice, nor Kearney as their 2nd. We would've.

In a world where the AFL didn't give our licence to Carlton: the Pies would've selected Brianna Davey as their 2nd marquee, which would've left Emma King as our priority signing.

The original teams all overlooked Riddell, so it's not a leap to say we would've been perceptive enough to take both Garner and Bruton higher than what they were in their respective drafts.

Randall would've still wanted out of Brisbane after two seasons, and it would've been no harder to recruit her than it was to get Kim Rennie.

Only favour the AFL did us was allowing exclusive access to Tasmanian players, though ultimately it would've been Tasmanian footy that suffered more without such an arrangement.
Riddell was coached by Gowan at the Diamond Creek Women's FC, so was picked up when he went to us.

Looks like a kid in a candy shop out there with Clarko.

She would absolutely realise the privileged position she is in to be able to learn her coaching craft from one of the best ever.

Will make every opportunity count.

Peas in a pod those two, absolute psychos onfield (albeit Emma with far more talent)

Riddell was coached by Gowan at the Diamond Creek Women's FC, so was picked up when he went to us.
Gowans was still an assistant coach at Carlton when Riddell was passed over in the second AFLW draft. That was after she made the VFLW Team of the Year, not as if she was some unknown (a bit like Vikki Wall being the Player of The Year in Ireland but, again, we were the first club to approach her).

What has she done so far since coming to the club?

serious question

Development….

Led a team to a grand final which is more than any bloke can say since Wayne Carey.

Its her first year as an assistant coach too ffs.

Odd you haven't potted Xavier Clarke hey

Just curious. When the club is struggling questions are asked of everyone at the top
Mate I was the first one to float Emma being brought into our men's program.

I just fear your innocent query will be strawmanned. It kinda already has been.

Mate I was the first one to float Emma being brought into our men's program.

I just fear your innocent query will be strawmanned. It kinda already has been.

LOL, its her first year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL, its her first year

She was there last year mate in a coaching role.

I've watched plenty of training.

She's akin to a work experience kid getting some valuable experience to be a long term asset to the womens program imo.

She doesn't take drills, she's not vocal at all at training.

It's a mentorship, assistant coach in name only.

I have no problem with her position, but she's not Tom Lynch or Barlow, anyone who has watched even a second of training would realise that.

She's akin to a work experience kid getting some valuable experience to be a long term asset to the womens program imo.

I have no problem with her position, but she's not Tom Lynch or Barlow, anyone who has watched even a second of training would realise that.

She's a far more accomplished player than either of those two ever were lol.

Your opinion reeks of misogyny btw.

Im asking questions to all the leaders that have come to the club recently, It sucks that we can’t even question someone’s performance just because of their gender, when it has zero to do with that. For me anyways. I couldn’t give a s**t.

Anyways, delete my comment then. I’ll go question Rawlings or Clarkos performance etc with no issues

Tom Lynch or Barlow hasn’t had a lot of experience either though yeah

Kearney is so, so far down the list of coaching/footy department concerns.

Monkhurtst, Clarke, and Adcock would be where I'd start if you want to start peeling back assistant coach performance issues.

Monkhurtst, Clarke, and Adcock would be where I'd start if you want to start peeling back assistant coach performance issues.
The question can definitely be asked of every single one of them including Emma and let’s not forget about Patch.

The assistant roles are crucial.

I'd give them more than 6 games before we start judging performance.

She's a far more accomplished player than either of those two ever were lol.

Your opinion reeks of misogyny btw.

No shes not.

No misogyny about it.

Playing career has little to do with it anyway, Lynch was more senior than Boomer in last years structure.

Both Lynch and Barlow have run senior mens VFL programs.

Kearney's position is not a problem and the least of our issues, but stop making s**t up, she's been there for 2 years and she's not in any way an assistant coach or a line coach. Shes a "development coach" as in "watch and learn" shes very much a developing coach herself.

Hopefully one that I think will be a great asset to the AFLW program or maybe the AFL mens program long term.

I've never once seen her run a drill at training. So comparing her to Barlow or Lynch at this point is laughable.

She's a development coach, under Barlow, Barlow is head of development, she is not the only development coach under him. Mick is her boss.

If there wasn't dispensation for female coaches salaries to be outside the soft cap, she wouldn't be there.

Last edited:
She has been and is a great player and has been a critical part of successful teams, doesn’t mean a thing when you look at the great players that have tried coaching although it is a point of difference with a lot of our coaching group.

No-one in the current football department has had much time to settle in and learn how to work together, especially given the stuff that happened last year, so while it’s fine to ask questions it is going to be a while before satisfactory answers are possible.

Tom Lynch or Barlow hasn’t had a lot of experience either though yeah

Yes they have?

Tom Lynch has run a VFL program for 18 months and been a senior development coach for North during that time.

Mick Barlow was the VFL coach of the year last year and led a non aligned VFL club to the grand final on a 17 game winning streak. He's now Head of Development at North.

Emma has?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back