Discussion Is there anything more pointless and distracting than watermarks on a jumper?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
webnewguernseynumberslions.jpg

The Lions jumper seems to be getting worse.
By that, I mean the distracting watermarks are more noticeable than ever.
I thought the watermark was supposed to signify a legit jumper.
But then they just go and print them on anyway.

Last edited:

But then they just go an print them on anyway.

But but we original lion.....

But then they just go an print them on anyway.
I remember when watermarks used to be seen when light sources shone on it a certain way. And they were 3D.

This is just lazy, all stemming from KooGa/BLK. Puma did it right years ago, and then because KooGa saw it as a 'design element' they started printing it.
'Distracting' in the title indicates that it is noticeable and people actual care about it..

Puma used to do it so well for West Coast, even up to recent years where the watermark was just that - a super opaque print over the top of player issues that could only really be seen up close to the guernsey.

These days it's gotten out of hand how bad they can get.

IMO it is no longer a 'watermark' when it is cut off by the AFL and sponsors logos. As the old Puma ones were literally fabric watermarks (I can't recall how that's done production-wise), there were no cut-offs

Puma used to do it so well for West Coast, even up to recent years where the watermark was just that - a super opaque print over the top of player issues that could only really be seen up close to the guernsey.

These days it's gotten out of hand how bad they can get.
You’re right, it ends up being a design feature how it is for them now. North had it pretty good with their embossed logo
BA28ED31-EB19-40BC-90C0-7AC45EC0EBED.jpeg
Even now, the retro logos is cool. At least they’re not repeating a logo that’s already the main design feature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at Richmond 2017/2018. No one’s complaining about those watermarks.

Did Richmond have watermarks? Hadn't even noticed (which is exactly what you want). On the Brisbane jumper though, I saw it in person at Rebel and compared to the other jumpers in the store, it is awful with the watermarks. They're so obvious that it ends up taking points off an overall classy and timeless design. North have watermarks this year, but they were hardly noticeable compared to the Lions

I look at the FJ&GD thread alot.
But im a bit like a dirty old man perving at a Net Ball game. I just hide behind the bushes and dont say anything but i watch intensely .
But ive gotta speak up here.
1547466107846.png
Those watermarks look faaaarrking stupid.

Anyway ill go back behind the bushes now
giphy.gif

Yeah the Brisbane ones are absolutely horrendous.

Watermarks work if it's some light embossing so that it's only noticeable up close. That's just a printed design feature interfering with one of the better kits in the AFL.

Pardon if this sounds like a stupid questions but how does the watermarks make it hard to fake? Why wouldn't anybody trying to sell a framed fakie or something for a lot of money would take good care in ensuring these watermarks are there?
Nothing. And that's what I'm saying, they are not only hideous, but also pointless.

Imagine if Port finally got their prison bars only for them to have watermarks over them hah. They looked alright on WC because you couldn't really see them, but they just look ridiculous on Brisbane.

Imagine if Port finally got their prison bars only for them to have watermarks over them hah. They looked alright on WC because you couldn't really see them, but they just look ridiculous on Brisbane.
Port never use watermarks, Crows are the only ones out of the ISC teams, which carried on from BLK (which originated from Puma....)

Port never use watermarks, Crows are the only ones out of the ISC teams, which carried on from BLK (which originated from Puma....)
Yeah yeah I know, I was just thinking of the outrage that would ensue if they adopted them. Also the Crows' 2017 watermarks were horrendous - not on Brisbane's level of bad though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back