M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
born- 1936. died- 2013. who- my father. we spoke extensively about his life after he was diagnosed with cancer in 2008 and he related many fascinating stories. true story.

he was a tough old bastard who always had the feeling he was an outcast in his own family as a child and was bashed mercilessly while his brother wasn't. he found out in his 70's that the man he thought was his father in fact was not. his mother was a teacher in a small country town in western queensland who slept with a local man and the result was my father, she moved away and never went back.
a few life high/low lights from a book i may write.
1. lost his virginity as a 10 year old. was molested as a child but would get teary and not want to talk about it so never pushed it.
2. felt guilty his whole life about not going to a creek with 2 mates for a swim when young (he was a very good swimmer) one of said mates drowned.
3. his mother died when he was 14, then left home and worked in a coal mine.
4. moved to winton in CQ to work as a cattle/sheep station hand when around 16.
5. swam the diamantina river in flood.
6. got his pilots license, flew tiger moths.
7. did a mail run for a few years around far western queensland ie winton to windorah.
8. drove road trains.
9. could have joined the air force but had fell in love with my mother (a barmaid at the north gregory hotel in winton) and moved to melbourne to start a family. he told me he used to f..k anything that moved.
10. worked his arse off for the next 25 years, concreter, cab driver, b double long hauls to name a few.
11. flew gliders/hang gliders. 2 near death experiences.
12. was spiritual not religious the last 10 years or so of his life. said i don't believe in an after life i know. said he could astral travel.
13. was a heavy drinker and 100 cigarettes a day smoker, gave up both cold turkey overnight and never touched them again at around the same time.
14. was an undefeated amateur boxer.

the highest and lowest lights not included, most of the above can be expanded on greatly, but you get the idea. i used to say to him i should write a bloody book about your life, he would say not while i'm alive. have been toying with the idea in the 3 years since his death. book yes/no?

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
When the grim reaper tapped him on the shoulder, what changed?
he had retired a couple of years earlier than the grim reaper tap, but he just opened up a lot more and was willing to talk about everything and in detail (except the 2nd part of point 1). we used to have some good discussions about the existence or otherwise of a creator/spirituality/is there a point to this thing we call life/women and their merits/what and who defines morality etc. he was not a fan of watching sport he said you should do not watch. particularly hated AFL, called it airel ping pong, we agreed to disagree.

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
. we used to have some good discussions about the existence or otherwise of a creator/spirituality/

That's what I'm interested in hearing about. I've had my own experiences with a close friend and a relative. the reality is that all the bullshit falls away when they face death. As you point out, it can be a beautiful enlightening experience to share with someone. I really envy and admire those who go through their parents death like their parents went through your birth.

I've had many long discussions with war vets in their 80's about your other points.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
That's what I'm interested in hearing about. I've had my own experiences with a close friend and a relative. the reality is that all the bullshit falls away when they face death. as you point out, it can be a beautiful enlightening experience to share with someone. I really envy and admire those who go through their parents death like their parents went through your birth.

I've had many long discussions with war vets in their 80's abut your other points.
agree with you completely re the going through the death process, hard at the time but eye opening and rewarding. everyone has doubts atheists and believers alike, as i said he was a very firm believer in spirituality/we are one with the universe. no way the religious biblical man made god type belief. one of the last things he said to me on his hospital bed in an adult diaper was "gee jase i hope i'm right".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

flashmanvc

All Australian
Jun 7, 2010
Maffra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Christ, there aren't many people living hardcore lives like that today. Go ahead and put his stories down on paper for family history purposes. I reckon the writing of that will be enough to make up your mind about a book proper.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
When the grim reaper tapped him on the shoulder, what changed?
Write the book and you'll find out.

At the least, you'll have something to pass down the family.
It doesn't even have to be specifically about your old man, you have a pretty sound basis for any character with the list.
I would read it. Ocker life. I hope you do it.
Sounds like he had a very interesting life. Sounds like a good idea for a book and you've got all the elements so why not. Go ahead and have a crack at writing it and good luck.

Christ, there aren't many people living hardcore lives like that today. Go ahead and put his stories down on paper for family history purposes. I reckon the writing of that will be enough to make up your mind about a book proper.
Procrastinator35 BALKAN little graham LicoriceAllsorts The Filth Wizard
thanks a lot for all the feedback, i really appreciate it. i was around the 70/30 in favor of doing the book before this thread, just wanted to get some totally independent views on the subject matter.
i am going to do it, i have only just retired full time from february this year so will have plenty of time on my hands, i will research and be talking in a lot more detail to my mother and a few others. i'm expecting it to take a year or so and will get back to you when it's in print with a link to purchase:).

BALKAN

Cancelled
Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Aug 23, 2013
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Procrastinator35 BALKAN little graham LicoriceAllsorts The Filth Wizard
thanks a lot for all the feedback, i really appreciate it. i was around the 70/30 in favor of doing the book before this thread, just wanted to get some totally independent views on the subject matter.
i am going to do it, i have only just retired full time from february this year so will have plenty of time on my hands, i will research and be talking in a lot more detail to my mother and a few others. i'm expecting it to take a year or so and will get back to you when it's in print with a link to purchase:).

Good luck with this project mate, I'm sure your old man's life story is in good hands. I also laughed when you said "purchase" I eagerly await my free autographed copy in the mail:thumbsu:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
agree, if it turns out to be just an elongated eulogy that will be fine with me.
It would be a hard book to write. Trying to do your fathers story justice would come with a lot of pressure to get it right.
yep, have never written a book but have written a few poems and am fine with public speaking. i like to put a goal out there, the pressure to deliver works for me, not afraid to try new things so will give it my best shot, that is all you can do.

born- 1936. died- 2013. who- my father. we spoke extensively about his life after he was diagnosed with cancer in 2008 and he related many fascinating stories. true story.

he was a tough old bastard who always had the feeling he was an outcast in his own family as a child and was bashed mercilessly while his brother wasn't. he found out in his 70's that the man he thought was his father in fact was not. his mother was a teacher in a small country town in western queensland who slept with a local man and the result was my father, she moved away and never went back.
a few life high/low lights from a book i may write.
1. lost his virginity as a 10 year old. was molested as a child but would get teary and not want to talk about it so never pushed it.
2. felt guilty his whole life about not going to a creek with 2 mates for a swim when young (he was a very good swimmer) one of said mates drowned.
3. his mother died when he was 14, then left home and worked in a coal mine.
4. moved to winton in CQ to work as a cattle/sheep station hand when around 16.
5. swam the diamantina river in flood.
6. got his pilots license, flew tiger moths.
7. did a mail run for a few years around far western queensland ie winton to windorah.
8. drove road trains.
9. could have joined the air force but had fell in love with my mother (a barmaid at the north gregory hotel in winton) and moved to melbourne to start a family. he told me he used to f..k anything that moved.
10. worked his arse off for the next 25 years, concreter, cab driver, b double long hauls to name a few.
11. flew gliders/hang gliders. 2 near death experiences.
12. was spiritual not religious the last 10 years or so of his life. said i don't believe in an after life i know. said he could astral travel.
13. was a heavy drinker and 100 cigarettes a day smoker, gave up both cold turkey overnight and never touched them again at around the same time.
14. was an undefeated amateur boxer.

the highest and lowest lights not included, most of the above can be expanded on greatly, but you get the idea. i used to say to him i should write a bloody book about your life, he would say not while i'm alive. have been toying with the idea in the 3 years since his death. book yes/no?

Thanks for sharing this.

Those of you who know me know that i'm not real good at conversing, but for what it's worth i think most of us don't realise how much our fathers go through to get to where we are now.
My father lead a great life, although short he done and seen so many wonderful things. I'm glad he allowed me to be a part of his life and i convey this to my kids as often as i can so they know what life is about.

Once again, thanks jason. :thumbsu:

Didn't see the original thread
But I agree with earlier comments - I think it's an amazing foundation for a book (and an amazing tribute to your father /a keepsake for your family ). I hope you decided to go ahead with it. If you ever do publish it , I'd happily buy it and read it . All the best .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back