Is Todd Marshall a once in a generation key forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

If a 'generation' is regarded as 20-30 years then Buddy is the obvious candidate for this generation.

I hope Todd had his breakout year and continues to build on it for the rest of his career.

Even then, the best he could hope for would be Port's generational key forward. Assuming he overtakes Tredrea, Schultz and Dixon and doesn't get overshadowed by Mitch and whoever else we may recruit in the next 20-30 years. That's a huge ask.

If he can manage the same sort of output he did this year for the rest of his career he would be fondly remembered as one of our best forwards in our short AFL history. He has got it in him so fingers crossed.
A sports generation is more a ten year cycle.

Tbh I have not seen anything in Todd's game that marks him down as a Royce Hart, Wayne Carey, Jonathan Brown or Warren Tredrea. As has been posted Todd is effective when he can get into space and we use him properly. 2022 was an improvement but it has to be sustained. I reckon if we had a game plan based on well directed kicking to targets up forward rather than bombing the ball in high it would help Todd's game no end.

Todd hurts you with his mobility, the greats hurt you in a multitude of ways. Tredrea had Marshall mobility with Dixons Strength/Contested ability. We were lucky and blessed to have a player of Tredrea’s ilk on our books. I undervalued his Greatness while he was here because seeing it week in week out it becomes expected. Watching games back now it’s a shock to the system.

Todd hurts you with his mobility, the greats hurt you in a multitude of ways. Tredrea had Marshall mobility with Dixons Strength/Contested ability. We were lucky and blessed to have a player of Tredrea’s ilk on our books. I undervalued his Greatness while he was here because seeing it week in week out it becomes expected. Watching games back now it’s a shock to the system.
Tredrea would have been one of the best CHF's ever if not for his dicky knees. They caught up with him right when most players are hitting their peak.

50 goals a game 🤔🤨

OK I will lower my bar to 50 goals a season but secretly hoping for 50 a game (50 goals a game is how I imagine I would go if I ever played AFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a quality forward line...

Marshall 40-50
Geo 40-50
Dix/fin 30+ (depends on Finlaysons roll)
Rioli 20+
Rozee 20+
Fantasia 7 (in 3 games he will play)
Spp 20+
Butters 15+ (expect more midfield time)
McEntee 5

I love hot toddy as much as anyone but Carn

Needs a few more outstanding years like this one first

This is true. The Hinkley era is rife with players that looked ready to take the next step and then disappeared into the ether.
If Todd has as good a 23 as he did 22, then laughing.

This is true. The Hinkley era is rife with players that looked ready to take the next step and then disappeared into the ether.
If Todd has as good a 23 as he did 22, then laughing.

If hot toddy kicks 40+ again he's already better than Dixon's entire career lol

We have a quality forward line...

Marshall 40-50
Geo 40-50
Dix/fin 30+ (depends on Finlaysons roll)
Rioli 20+
Rozee 20+
Fantasia 7 (in 3 games he will play)
Spp 20+
Butters 15+ (expect more midfield time)
McEntee 5
It could happen if we had a structure that was efficient and consistent. A few better kicking skills wouldn't go astray either!

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

My late grandfather (1899-1992) witnessed many champion footballers play for Port, and in our numerous discussions over the years his two best were always Harold Oliver and Russell Ebert.
`Once in a generation' isn't a term people of his era used, but I suspect it fits the modern criteria for the two aforementioned players, particularly Ebert.

It's obviously the off season and like many of us Huge is probably a bit bored, and whilst I believe Todd Marshall should develop into a very good key forward we probably all have as much chance of winning x-lotto as there is of him becoming a `once in a generation' type player.

A generation is 20 years not a lifetime

Given that, he only has to be better than Schulz and tredrea or play on to 2030 and just better than Schulz
Not quite how it works. He’d need to be up there with the very best key forward in the AFL across that period not just better than Shultz. Being a generational talent you are measured against everyone, not just the players from your own club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back