Is Todd Marshall a once in a generation key forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Todd plays 22 games he will bag 50+ in ‘23.. not exactly the type who “could be anything” like MG, but reminds me a bit of J. Riewoldt.. expecting him to join the leadership group in a couple years at a minimum.

Backing up last season and taking the mantle as our #1 forward is vital for our post Khinkles era.

Man, to think we are a poor start and one more season of missing finals away from being done with this s**t show of an era.

Lets hope Tod develops further and does become a genuine star of the AFL. He probably has the talent, needs his body to stay strong and improve his mental strength to go the next stage.

It's been a long time since Port have had a player of such intelligence.
That capability towers over his team mates.

Even in his very early years when he wasn't doing much on field, he would do something that made you ask, "What just happened?"

It has its pros and cons.
Pro: It makes him a forward play maker.
Con: There are few in the team who can keep up with that intelligence. Maybe street smart Butters or Rozee. Perhaps Fantasia if he plays.
He is quite unique.

Don’t know about generational talent like Tredders but I reckon he’ll end up not too far below . Excellent player . His footy smarts are high elite , his kicking is elite , his marking is good without being quite elite yet , his ground work is excellent, only thing so far holding him back is body strength and aggression . Put it this way probably a top 5 in our must keep list

I think what Todd managed last season in my eyes, was to prove to doubters like myself that the problem lies in our coach / game plan not with his talent. We're just "lucky" that an injury to Dixon and us loosing because we kept kicking to his ghost for the first few games resulted in a forced change. It was great to see.

Marshall told News Corp he had improved his goalkicking by working with the club’s mindfulness coach, David Stephenson, particularly last pre-season, and practising while fatigued both during and after trainings. He said Stephenson had helped him develop a clear routine and focus in the moment. “When I have a set shot now, I have no other worries, I know what I’m doing and can block out the noise,” Marshall said.

“We do a lot of goalkicking (at training) post a drill, when you’re fatigued, and that really makes you work on centring your breathing and getting calm, really focusing. “We probably do 10 to 20 shots under fatigue. “It was a little bit tough with that fence and I changed my run-up a little bit. “I took a couple of seconds at the top of my mark and really locked in.”

Marshall has booted 79.31 at 72 per cent over the past three years and is 10.4 this season. Earlier in the night, Richmond great Matthew Richardson, the 12th-highest goalkicker in VFL/AFL history, said on Channel 7: “I would nearly have him kicking for me after the siren”. Marshall told News Corp those sorts of compliments were nice “but you’ve got to keep putting yourself in those moments”. “Once you handle that pressure, it gives you confidence you can keep doing it,” he said.

Marshall said he learnt from watching other accurate goalkickers across the competition, singling out a Crows young gun. “Darcy Fogarty is one that I love watching kick a set shot,” he said. “He’s so natural how he kicks the footy. “It’s always the same way – he doesn’t poke at it, he doesn’t stab at it – he’s always got that lovely leg through the footy.

Marshall told News Corp he had improved his goalkicking by working with the club’s mindfulness coach, David Stephenson, particularly last pre-season, and practising while fatigued both during and after trainings. He said Stephenson had helped him develop a clear routine and focus in the moment. “When I have a set shot now, I have no other worries, I know what I’m doing and can block out the noise,” Marshall said.

“We do a lot of goalkicking (at training) post a drill, when you’re fatigued, and that really makes you work on centring your breathing and getting calm, really focusing. “We probably do 10 to 20 shots under fatigue. “It was a little bit tough with that fence and I changed my run-up a little bit. “I took a couple of seconds at the top of my mark and really locked in.”

Marshall has booted 79.31 at 72 per cent over the past three years and is 10.4 this season. Earlier in the night, Richmond great Matthew Richardson, the 12th-highest goalkicker in VFL/AFL history, said on Channel 7: “I would nearly have him kicking for me after the siren”. Marshall told News Corp those sorts of compliments were nice “but you’ve got to keep putting yourself in those moments”. “Once you handle that pressure, it gives you confidence you can keep doing it,” he said.

Marshall said he learnt from watching other accurate goalkickers across the competition, singling out a Crows young gun. “Darcy Fogarty is one that I love watching kick a set shot,” he said. “He’s so natural how he kicks the footy. “It’s always the same way – he doesn’t poke at it, he doesn’t stab at it – he’s always got that lovely leg through the footy.

Just kick it farken

Thank god for Darcy Fogarty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I worry for Marshall, he’s lost his face to his neck, those traps are HUGE. Luckily it doesn’t affect his kicking. Generational forward not sure, very good forward a few more years and yes.

Somebody make sure Mitch reads that article.

Good to hear the club have a mindfulness coach. I put a lot of stock in its practice.

Yeah no idea. Really strange how he's completely lost confidence and won't take a shot at goal. Wouldn't surprise me if one of the coaches got in his head and told him he needs to looks for a better option.
Been told to not give himself a concussion. Since then he’s gone into his shell.

1691239783835.png

Like Rozee in the deep forward pocket lol. Do you want me to break this down for you as well?

Champion key forwards take it on their own back to kick goals when they have GA% of Marshall.

How is it obvious he is willing to have shots on the back of tonights performance??? No other players have been following a team mandate to pass off to other players UNLESS it is a handpass to elite kicks on the run. Where do you dream this s**t up honestly?

View attachment 1765943

Like Rozee in the deep forward pocket lol. Do you want me to break this down for you as well?

Champion key forwards take it on their own back to kick goals when they have GA% of Marshall.

How is it obvious he is willing to have shots on the back of tonights performance??? No other players have been following a team mandate to pass off to other players UNLESS it is a handpass to elite kicks on the run. Where do you dream this s**t up honestly?

Lol. As I said in the thread, under Hinkley it’s been a clear directive for players to pass it off and we’ve seen it from champions of the club in boak and gray a 1000 times much less every other player

To single out todd as if it’s the first time we’ve ever seen it is ******* next level bullshit.

Todd was our best kf tonight by a mile. Was competitive all night giving us a target to kick to.

Best key forward we've drafted and developed since Tredders

Lol. As I said in the thread, under Hinkley it’s been a clear directive for players to pass it off and we’ve seen it from champions of the club in boak and gray a 1000 times much less every other player

To single out todd as if it’s the first time we’ve ever seen it is ******* next level bullshit.

Todd was our best kf tonight by a mile. Was competitive all night giving us a target to kick to.

Correct.

You legitimately never seen this from other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back