Is Todd Marshall a once in a generation key forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's no John Butcher but he's okay

Genuine question.

Hot todddies
Not a KPF, but he’s a talented tall baller.

He is not good on contests in a contest-driven team; but when we use him in open spaces, he is able to show his best.

He's Hoff all over.

One week he'll save you, for the next month you'll be pulling your hair out.

It is what it is.

Only Marshall fans would get off after standing Billy frampton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He kicked a Josh Jenkins 5 goals.

It's an improvement but there's a long way to go.

Did he take a contested mark tonight?

Only Marshall fans would get off after standing Billy frampton
Lol remember this idiot being wrong about everything yet again? Haven't seen him around for a while, fingers crossed that doesn't change.

Yay Toddy, I never doubted you.*

*Hoping everyone has collective amnesia and doesn't read my post history. I'd never even heard of a single person named Todd before round 3 this year. What you mean "get out of your house and stop masturbating in your bathrobe", you get out of my house and i'll masturbate wherever I like'. I am not a crackpot.

He’s come along leaps and bounds this year and is starting to look like a very good player, this is however a ridiculous thread.

He’s not even in the conversation as a once in generation key forward and probably never will be.

Buddy Franklin is a once in a generation key forward.

He’s come along leaps and bounds this year and is starting to look like a very good player, this is however a ridiculous thread.

He’s not even in the conversation as a once in generation key forward and probably never will be.

I've just come to accept that when 'once in a generation' is used in an afl context it actually translates to 'quite good'.

I've just come to accept that when 'once in a generation' is used in an afl context it actually translates to 'quite good'.
To be honest, once in a generation players are rare in AFL footy. Abblett, Dunstall and Locket were three in a Generation. Mathews maybe once in a Generation, but then there have been others since in another era. Carey possibly a once in a Generation, but was Brown, Riewoldt and Tredrea a new generation. Robran and Ebert (possibly Bagshaw). Is it Generational, Era or Decade? Franklin Generational, Farmer Generational. Coleman? Ricciuto, Buckley, Voss, Hird?

I think Champions of a Decade just doesn’t sound as flash as Generational. We don’t have a Jordan, Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Magic, James, Steph in our sport, where by an individual transcends the rest of the league for a 6-7 year stretch…

You missed the date the thread was posted.

To be honest, once in a generation players are rare in AFL footy. Abblett, Dunstall and Locket were three in a Generation. Mathews maybe once in a Generation, but then there have been others since in another era. Carey possibly a once in a Generation, but was Brown, Riewoldt and Tredrea a new generation. Robran and Ebert (possibly Bagshaw). Is it Generational, Era or Decade? Franklin Generational, Farmer Generational. Coleman? Ricciuto, Buckley, Voss, Hird?

I think Champions of a Decade just doesn’t sound as flash as Generational. We don’t have a Jordan, Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Magic, James, Steph in our sport, where by an individual transcends the rest of the league for a 6-7 year stretch…

Generationally significant is the term I would use. Ebert and Robran played before I was born, but it is understood that they are greats of the game when compared to those who have played in living memory. Good players, even Brownlow medalists will be a footnote in history where they are just players 'that were good, really good' for a period. People understand that Woewodin, Wines, Priddis are not all-time greats. GAJ, Judd, Buckley, Voss, Carey, Dunstall, GAS, Lockett, Coventry, Coleman, Hudson, Matthews. They stand out in the content of the last 50-100 years. You could put 500 AA players in amongst them and they would stand out from the crowd.

Just because there is another player just as good at a similar time doesn't mean you're not an out and out star. If Ravi Jadeja was Australian, he would be the 2nd best all-rounder we have produced in 150 years of test cricket. He's the 2nd best spinner India has produced just about ever. All of this and He isn't even the best Ravi in the Indian cricket team and has played a bizarrely small amount of test cricket living in the shadow of a better player. Doesn't mean he isn't a stud that India might not see again for another 50 years.

Last edited:
If a 'generation' is regarded as 20-30 years then Buddy is the obvious candidate for this generation.

I hope Todd had his breakout year and continues to build on it for the rest of his career.

Even then, the best he could hope for would be Port's generational key forward. Assuming he overtakes Tredrea, Schultz and Dixon and doesn't get overshadowed by Mitch and whoever else we may recruit in the next 20-30 years. That's a huge ask.

If he can manage the same sort of output he did this year for the rest of his career he would be fondly remembered as one of our best forwards in our short AFL history. He has got it in him so fingers crossed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back