Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

If he took his chances when the game was hot early instead of s**tting the bed AGAIN the Eagles win that game and are playing next week.

Afl.com also produces Damian Barrett’s sliding doors article so yeah
Mate the eagles have been halfarsed all year

Dont blame darling

It wasn’t his fault they lost. McGovern had an absolute howler. Amongst others. Barass also.

Think the opposition have figured out how to negate McGovern - position themselves to make it difficult for him to get a run and grab an intercept mark.

Will be interesting to see how we overcome that next season, because I think we cannot contend for a flag if he isn't allowed to operate freely.

Think the opposition have figured out how to negate McGovern - position themselves to make it difficult for him to get a run and grab an intercept mark.

Will be interesting to see how we overcome that next season, because I think we cannot contend for a flag if he isn't allowed to operate freely.
An occasional free kick when he’s blocked by people with no intention for the ball wouldn’t go astray. Having said that only natural for the umpires to be drawn to the ball not the guys 3 meters away

Blocking and opposition tactics are one thing, McGovern and Barrass both leaving their men and competing for the same ball is another. I reckon there were half a dozen occasions that we spilled marks vs Geelong in the semi (forward and back) through poor communication. Two up, none down inside defensive 50 and a spilled mark is almost a guaranteed goal to the opposition.

That Darling is pretty good at football, though. Might even start calling him DAArling. DAArling and AAllen. What a combo.

on 3qtr time he kicked it into the man on the mark when kicking for goal. Could have won them the game yesterday but in fairness, Naughton should have sealed it first. Big game in the wet against the hawks last year at the G snagging 5 majors but he still has these big game collapses when it matters. Love the guy, but he has to start finishing off chances like that in clutch moments.

on 3qtr time he kicked it into the man on the mark when kicking for goal. Could have won them the game yesterday but in fairness, Naughton should have sealed it first. Big game in the wet against the hawks last year at the G snagging 5 majors but he still has these big game collapses when it matters. Love the guy, but he has to start finishing off chances like that in clutch moments.
Also dropped an easy mark in the square in the 2018 GF. When around Dom Sheed at the waterhole I reckon he’d be buying for two for the rest of his life. But! Did play a really important game in the GF that year. Started poorly like most Eagles but definitely stepped up and contributed to the win.

When he retires he’ll have at least one flag and a truckload or goals so definitely a great career, but I don’t think he’ll get rid of his propensity to do the inexplicable in pressure moments.

Missing a gift set shot in the last quarter is bad but not unforgivable, but he’s had a few poor moments against us (I remember the AFL bizarrely put him pulling out of a contest in the highlights package for the ‘16 Elimination Final).

For what it’s worth, I was at the ‘18 GF and can well remember the collective groan from Eagles fans when he dropped that mark. It’s almost like they expected it.

Could have been an all time Eagles great but he’ll always in part be remembered for the howlers, a bit like Stynes, Richo and Kernahan (though he’s not quite in that class).

When he retires he’ll have at least one flag and a truckload or goals so definitely a great career, but I don’t think he’ll get rid of his propensity to do the inexplicable in pressure moments.

Missing a gift set shot in the last quarter is bad but not unforgivable, but he’s had a few poor moments against us (I remember the AFL bizarrely put him pulling out of a contest in the highlights package for the ‘16 Elimination Final).

For what it’s worth, I was at the ‘18 GF and can well remember the collective groan from Eagles fans when he dropped that mark. It’s almost like they expected it.

Could have been an all time Eagles great but he’ll always in part be remembered for the howlers, a bit like Stynes, Richo and Kernahan (though he’s not quite in that class).
What did Kernahan do? Miss easy ones?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and returned as a fake chinese copy...

he shows his true colours when he drops those easy marks when he's alone. He's a good player and even better when he has kennedy to support his fragile ego.
the best footy hes ever played was when kennedy was out injured.

commentators were calling him the no1 player in the league at the time.

If he starts slowing down and going backwards from here, He'll probably be the worst 500 goal forward ever.

Had a good career, bit of a shocker last night however

He is a barometer for the current squad, their best is great, their worst is not good enough for top 4, same as 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back