Rumour Jack Steven Rumour

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who says they are completely fine?

Plenty of people live in the shadows with mental illness, some with higher degrees of functioning than others. Wayne Schwass was suicidal when he won a flag with the roos. Not everyone sits in bed like that show you watched on television a few years back

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
youre talking about neurosis. Im talking about psychosis. Two different things.

He's not the first example, but he's the most recent - how does someone recover from mental illness after a few weeks?

i know people in similar boat. they need time away from work or study. see the GP, GP will give you a referral but also time off. referral will give you the prescription. it takes a while to adjust to the meds. you feel like utter s**t and cant get out of bed or see anyone. you just wanna sleep forever or end it basically.

but once the meds kick in you start to experience less of the lows and start to get on with life. that can be as soon as a week for some.

While he was a younger guy and everyone makes mistakes, Jack Steven was suspended by the Saints when he got on the piss (and let it out in public) and prescription pills at a camp in New Zealand. With Zac Dawson. Six months later he got stung for pissy driving.

Buddy has always had internet and irl scuttlebutt around him. In the 18 months before his 'mental health break' he fell over in the shower, crashed his car in the middle of the day, and started putting on some weight. Then he comes out and does some weird ass interview with Richo on Channel 7 where they just kinda talked about... nothing. It definitely seemed a 'we gotta talk about this!' sort of thing.

It seems weird none of these guys, with high profiles and spare time and plenty of (tax break) money to spend, are out there rallying for Beyondblue or youth suicide prevention. A lot of footballers have a cause they promote now and then and a lot generally have a personal, family connection to it.

I just find it peculiar. Maybe it's a white/Aboriginal culture thing but Shane Yarran never took time off for 'personal leave.'

Seems to be people taking the term using the term 'mental health issues' as the reason for a break and extrapolating that either you have to be a long term sufferer of mental illness or you are lying to cover up something else. If Jack's relationship did breakdown for whatever reason, be it cheating or otherwise, perhaps he was depressed over that and needed time away. Heading to Broome for a few weeks would be a pretty different environment to going to training at Moorabbin everyday, so would add up that he felt he needed a break.

Also, not sure how Garry Lyon's example really fits into any discussion. If you did the dirty on a mate and your wife and lost your job and friends because of it, it doesn't really matter that it was your fault or not, I would say that would be a fair trigger for depression and mental health issues. Just because you have done the wrong thing doesn't mean that you can't have mental repercussions yourself.

I think someone else summed up the mental health stories quite well. It's a life long battle, not "i'm taking a week off for mental health", or a day off like Fasolo did last year. You don't just 'get better' and get the all clear to play footy again. I can honestly say whenever I hear a footy player use 'mental health' for time off I immediately think he's done something wrong and that's a cover. They usually 'recover' suspiciously quickly and the issue never brought up again...

Quite a few workplaces will now let you take a mental health day off.

Quite a few workplaces will now let you take a mental health day off.
It's called sick leave. You get 10 a year, no one ever uses them when they're actually sick. Doesn't make them for 'mental health'

Never has anything been as over-diagnosed as 'mental health'. Everyone who has a bad day now is 'depressed', everyone who failed a test, or faced any kind of adversity uses it as an excuse. No dummy, you had a bad day, that's it. Pull your socks up...We are so much less resilient now, it's sad

Schizophrenia, anorexia etc are mental health issues. Being sad for a bit isn't. Taking drugs certainly isn't

So someone's wife, husband, parent or child dies, they take two weeks off. They come back, decide they can't cope at all and need to take extended leave. Physically they are fine, not suffering from Schizophrenia or anything else, but are clearly depressed. Are they just not resilient enough or is that a mental health issue?
I think you've gone to the extreme there. Grief of a lost loved one is understandable, of course. You and I both know that isn't the type of scenario I was getting at however

Sigh.

Companies actually let you use your sick days as mental health days and call them a mental health day. You call up and say that you're frazzled and need a day to recharge mentally.
It comes off your sick leave balance. Whether you want to call them mental health days is up to you, it's still just the same sick leave it's always been

I think you've gone to the extreme there. Grief of a lost loved one is understandable, of course. You and I both know that isn't the type of scenario I was getting at however

But that is the point, a mental health issue is not something that is able to be labelled as a definite list of conditions and circumstances. Some people could lose a parent and be ok to continue on with their daily life, even need that normalcy to cope, others may be inconsolable for days or weeks, not being able to leave the house. When you say people aren't resilient enough, that takes away individual personalities and coping abilities.

But that is the point, a mental health issue is not something that is able to be labelled as a definite list of conditions and circumstances. Some people could lose a parent and be ok to continue on with their daily life, even need that normalcy to cope, others may be inconsolable for days or weeks, not being able to leave the house. When you say people aren't resilient enough, that takes away individual personalities and coping abilities.
That's fair. I think however you'd agree that the guise of 'mental health' is being used far too frivolously now?

To the point everyone, who does the wrong thing, can say 'mental health' to escape any criticism. It's pathetic. Not to mention, as I said, it's way over-diagnosed. Perhaps it's because we don't know enough about it as a whole, but I stand by the fact that we as a society are way less resilient than we used to be. The culture of everyone gets a medal growing up probably hurt our ability to handle negativity. Constant validation on social media probably hasn't helped either but we are WAY less resilient than we once were. I'd stand by the fact way fewer people are actually depressed than claim to be and that takes away from the genuine cases...

It comes off your sick leave balance. Whether you want to call them mental health days is up to you, it's still just the same sick leave it's always been

I don't call them anything, I'm just trying to provide you with a bit of up to date information. Google it, it will take as long as it takes you to type it in the search box.

That's fair. I think however you'd agree that the guise of 'mental health' is being used far too frivolously now?

To the point everyone, who does the wrong thing, can say 'mental health' to escape any criticism. It's pathetic. Not to mention, as I said, it's way over-diagnosed. Perhaps it's because we don't know enough about it as a whole, but I stand by the fact that we as a society are way less resilient than we used to be. The culture of everyone gets a medal growing up probably hurt our ability to handle negativity. Constant validation on social media probably hasn't helped either but we are WAY less resilient than we once were. I'd stand by the fact way fewer people are actually depressed than claim to be and that takes away from the genuine cases...

I don't know if people are actually suffering from mental health issues when they use that reason to step away from football, I suspect some aren't because of the reported loopholes in drug testing, but who knows really. Buddy may have been depressed and needed time away, rumours suggest there was more to it but I have no idea if that was the reason.

I do agree with a previous comment on here that stating you have mental health issues and need time away doesn't strike me as something people would do lightly, I remember the crap Mitch Clark copped from supporters when he retired and then even more when he came back to the Cats. There is still a stigma attached to mental health clearly as demonstrated on this forum whenever someone brings up the topic.

I would say people are far more aware of their own mental health and stigma is dropping, as a result there will be an upward trend in people reporting their issues.

Anyone who takes time away from the game probably needs to be dealt with respectfully and given the opportunity to start getting better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, not sure how Garry Lyon's example really fits into any discussion. If you did the dirty on a mate and your wife and lost your job and friends because of it, it doesn't really matter that it was your fault or not, I would say that would be a fair trigger for depression and mental health issues. Just because you have done the wrong thing doesn't mean that you can't have mental repercussions yourself.
It also doesn’t mean you can excuse yourself from the consequences of your actions. By your notion I’d have to treat a person busted having an affair with the same level of sympathy as a person who has just lost a child or parent. It’s not right and this is why the stigma will continue to exist.

It also doesn’t mean you can excuse yourself from the consequences of your actions. By your notion I’d have to treat a person busted having an affair with the same level of sympathy as a person who has just lost a child or parent. It’s not right and this is why the stigma will continue to exist.

I don’t think that is what I was saying at all. I was saying that the constant use of Lyon as an example of someone using mental health issues as an excuse for behavior doesn’t really add up. Someone can do something unequivocally wrong and still have mental health issues as a result of that action, doesn’t take away or diminish issues faced by others in other scenarios.

Some people on here are not from Melbourne.

Can you be a little more detailed?
Club notorious for drugs.

Most people get there at 4am and it’s still busy at lunchtime. Opens Thursday night to Monday afternoon basically. Basically if you go to Revs you’re going to be pinging.

Ben Stratton used to regularly DJ there.

Club notorious for drugs.

Most people get there at 4am and it’s still busy at lunchtime. Opens Thursday night to Monday afternoon basically. Basically if you go to Revs you’re going to be pinging.

Ben Stratton used to regularly DJ there.
Then why don't the cops go there with sniffer dogs or something and shut it down? Think you're talking bs tbh

If true Stevens is gone as that is not something that is forgivable. Doesn't matter if the teammate whose wife he cheated with is no where near as good as Stevens, a clubs culture can't survive if they keep a player like that in the team.

In saying that though I hope it isn't true.

Geelong won two premierships off the back of some WAG shenanigans.... Perhaps the Saints are onto something?

It's called sick leave. You get 10 a year, no one ever uses them when they're actually sick. Doesn't make them for 'mental health'

Never has anything been as over-diagnosed as 'mental health'. Everyone who has a bad day now is 'depressed', everyone who failed a test, or faced any kind of adversity uses it as an excuse. No dummy, you had a bad day, that's it. Pull your socks up...We are so much less resilient now, it's sad

Schizophrenia, anorexia etc are mental health issues. Being sad for a bit isn't. Taking drugs certainly isn't

So much less resilient?

And thats sad?

Or are we so much more aware of mental health? Massive amount of studies over decades on how the human mind works and changes has lead to better understanding on how the mind works.

Are you critical of people with PTSD? Are they simply less resilient than people 50 years ago? Or maybe 50 years ago no one really knew how bad the problem was.

Social media and bullying is smashing the youth of today simply because of technology. When I went to school and had to put up with d!ckheads at least Id get home and away from them. Now kids are hounded 24 hours a day via social media. I see this with my 17 and 15 year olds. I tell them to turn it off and don't use social media but then they become alienated and feel left out.

The world is changing and it is these changes that are adding massive pressure in areas that previously simply didn't exist. I was lucky growing up. No social media, no mobile phones, no internet. A push bike, mates, fishing gear and a cricket bat.

I think its sad how people belittle mental health as an issue.

Last edited:
As someone that does suffer from mental health issues, (depression/anxiety) I have the utmost sympathy for these players who are going through the same thing. I find it great that clubs are open and accepting as workplaces are starting to be.

Mental health is just as important as physical health & although the symptoms present differently, they are just as real.

If any of these players are found to be using that as an excuse to cover up something they’ve done, then that is as despicable & selfish as it comes. It’s sets back a lot of work a lot of people have been doing to change the stigma that is still present today.

But until that happens and someone; then these young men have my absolute full support. Hoping you feel better soon, jack.

As someone that does suffer from mental health issues, (depression/anxiety) I have the utmost sympathy for these players who are going through the same thing. I find it great that clubs are open and accepting as workplaces are starting to be.

Mental health is just as important as physical health & although the symptoms present differently, they are just as real.

If any of these players are found to be using that as an excuse to cover up something they’ve done, then that is as despicable & selfish as it comes. It’s sets back a lot of work a lot of people have been doing to change the stigma that is still present today.

But until that happens and someone; then these young men have my absolute full support. Hoping you feel better soon, jack.
Well said JW, all the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back