Opinion Jackson Thurlow

Deep

Genius on Drugs
Jun 16, 2017
Waterfall Gully
AFL Club
Geelong
Wouldn't have gotten a game in 2018 unless through injury. Worth keeping if there was a space on the list, but when they become more scarce he wasn't worth keeping over anyone else.
Ruggles could have been another GHS. Rather that than Hayball or some other spud who gets delisted within two years. What’s wrong with depth?

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Wouldn't have gotten a game in 2018 unless through injury. Worth keeping if there was a space on the list, but when they become more scarce he wasn't worth keeping over anyone else.

Medium/small defender, l think there should have been.
Midfield in the two's would have ripped it up imo.

Last edited:
Like I said 3 months ago, if Cowan got nearly a decade on our list Ruggles deserved a lifetime
Maybe they have had enough of hanging onto players who will not make it, and Ruggles is the victim of the new ruthless tough love. And Ruggles would not have made it.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Stewart 76.4% DE in 2017 compared to Ruggles 74.9% DE in 2016. Yes, there's simply no comparison.

If we compare each player's first respective final, we have:
Ruggles: 10 disposals, 4 clangers, and 5 effective disposals
Stewart: 11 disposals, 5 clangers, and 5 effective disposals

Yes, there really is no comparison.

upload_2018-1-7_8-20-18.png

One would only have to watch the two players in action to see who is the superior footballer.

Selective statistics doesn't change the bleeding obvious.

Anyway...back to Jackson Thurlow.........

Last edited:

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Ruggles could have been another GHS. Rather that than Hayball or some other spud who gets delisted within two years. What’s wrong with depth?
Nothing is wrong with depth, but there's not much point in pruning the rest of the list for it. Ideally the list keeps Ruggle, but there is still a slim % that Hayball ends up an actually good AFL footballer while there is a guarantee that Ruggles never will.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Nothing is wrong with depth, but there's not much point in pruning the rest of the list for it. Ideally the list keeps Ruggle, but there is still a slim % that Hayball ends up an actually good AFL footballer while there is a guarantee that Ruggles never will.

Noticed Hayball listed amongst our short list of defensive options.
Impressive!

Last edited:

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Noticed Hayball listed amongst our short list of defensive options.
Impressive!
I don't think our list of defenders is short at all. There's a very strong back 6 that still leaves both Guthries and Thurlow as depth. Once your 10th pick for defender is on the park you're in trouble no matter who they are.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
Just on 'Turbo', haven't seen any mention of the kidney smash that was also an injury that cost him.

I still have belief in Jackson Thurlow, very much liked what I seen b4 his injuries and looking fwd to what he can bring this season.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok
I don't think our list of defenders is short at all. There's a very strong back 6 that still leaves both Guthries and Thurlow as depth. Once your 10th pick for defender is on the park you're in trouble no matter who they are.

Bare min l would say

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok

Bare min l would say
You and I have a very different idea of bare minimum.

It wouldn't be that surprising if when called up Hayball was at least at Ruggles' standard. It isn't a high bar.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Stewart 76.4% DE in 2017 compared to Ruggles 74.9% DE in 2016. Yes, there's simply no comparison.

If we compare each player's first respective final, we have:
Ruggles: 10 disposals, 4 clangers, and 5 effective disposals
Stewart: 11 disposals, 5 clangers, and 5 effective disposals

Yes, there really is no comparison.
Stewart really is an average player. He mist paint his fingers with butter as he loses control of the ball under pressure. I remember everyone on hear gushing over him after the sydney game because he was too useless to pick the ball up and kept tapping the ball forward. He is good for the old 'coach killer' moment and does not perform with any pressure

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Stewart really is an average player. He mist paint his fingers with butter as he loses control of the ball under pressure. I remember everyone on hear gushing over him after the sydney game because he was too useless to pick the ball up and kept tapping the ball forward. He is good for the old 'coach killer' moment and does not perform with any pressure
It's reassuring to have this confirmation that I'm on the right track when I think Stewart is a goer.

hhahaha good one :drunk:o_O:rolleyes:

Bagging a 1st year player out for probably the most inspirational section of play in that game. Bloke was completely spent and looked to run well past fatigue
yet kept going, never got control of the ball and managed to complete the tackle and force a ball up.

Nice contradiction too - you say he cant perform under pressure but then use a great example of exerting continual pressure over a long running section of play to where he does exactly what a defender should do - play his guts out and not quit defending until the play is over.

Gonna be a short year for you BC if you start like this.

Go Catters

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

He's not average, but his bad is horrendous. Like a few others the gap between his best and worst needs to close, and he needs to show a lot more poise in finals. Still an relatively inexperienced player of course.

He's not average, but his bad is horrendous. Like a few others the gap between his best and worst needs to close, and he needs to show a lot more poise in finals. Still an relatively inexperienced player of course.

Tend to agree - he's had some horror moments. But he aint average.

Some other to have had horror moments in the their first 2 years and maybe even later off the top of my head..
Bartel, Kelly, Ling, Harley, Scarlett, Enright, Ottens, Scarlett again... you get the idea...

I not suggesting that Stewart will become these players, but all of them have had their moments they'd rather forget early in their careers.

GO Catters

Oh...you mean where he out read that spud Buddy Franklin on the half back line, tapped it on to Zuthrie, then followed up Zuthrie's kick by tapping it forward another 40 meters and then created a stoppage on our half forward line, while delivering a crunching tackle on a very dangerous opponent in the process? ?

Yea...what a ******* spud. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Honestly Warhorse...do you walk around with your friends wearing a "they're with stupid" t-shirt on?

You so easily could have written an intelligent critique of Stewart, instead you burden us with this dross.

Just for the record, for a first year player Stewart performed admirably last year...he will develop and get better at his craft. Not perfect, but well above average.

I must say I wonder at your constant, bagging of the GFC and/or its players.

Of course you realize that had your post been delivered here by an opposition supporter there would have been a plethora of accusations of trolling and it may have even have attracted an infraction.

Perhaps you need to think about that.:thumbsu:

Oh...you mean where he out read that spud Buddy Franklin on the half back line, tapped it on to Zuthrie, then followed up Zuthrie's kick by tapping it forward another 40 meters and then created a stoppage on our half forward line, while delivering a crunching tackle on a very dangerous opponent in the process? ?

Honestly Warhorse...do you walk around with your friends wearing a "they're with stupid" t-shirt on?

You so easily could have written an intelligent critique of Stewart, instead you burden us with this dross.

Just for the record, for a first year player Stewart performed admirably last year...he will develop and get better at his craft. Not perfect, but well above average.

Of course you realize that had your post been delivered here by an opposition supporter there would have been a plethora of accusations of trolling and it may have even have attracted an infraction.

Not sure all those boomerangs have landed yet...:cool:

Go Catters

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Tom Stewart had a stellar moment with his run from defence v the Swans no doubt.
But what l liked was his enthusiasm and natural defensive mindset, looks to be a defenders defender.
He's grabbed his opportunities and now with Mackie gone is a lock.
Would like him work on his overhead spoiling, not a natural marking player doesn't mean he can't effect marking contests and he must.
Will have heavy responsibilities for a second year player due to the retirements but l think he's up for it.
This year the backline will experience a transitional reformation and Tom is a big part of that.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Tend to agree - he's had some horror moments. But he aint average.

Some other to have had horror moments in the their first 2 years and maybe even later off the top of my head..
Bartel, Kelly, Ling, Harley, Scarlett, Enright, Ottens, Scarlett again... you get the idea...

I not suggesting that Stewart will become these players, but all of them have had their moments they'd rather forget early in their careers.

True. But at the same time, none were exposed as badly as Stewart was against Richmond. The point of the discussion as I saw it was how he compared to Ruggles. I think he's a little better, but to pretend that he's a sure thing and Ruggles was always rubbish is pretty disingenuous.

May 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
You and I have a very different idea of bare minimum.

It wouldn't be that surprising if when called up Hayball was at least at Ruggles' standard. It isn't a high bar.

I think that’s a little unfair to ruggles actually. Sure, he is never going to be a star, but he made a good fist of it every time he played senior football. Hayball has never been good enough to earn a senior game, good luck to him if and when he does.

May 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Warhorse is a bit of a miserable bastard but nothing that he said there was really that unfair. Stewart has a real crack and played some good footy this year, but he does fumble a lot and could have defended a lot more efficiently in that particular play if he had cleaner hands. His year was not really that different from ruggles’ 2016 impact wise, although his build means he is overall a more versatile option going forward. I like Stewart and think he has a future, but the critique was fair enough.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
hhahaha good one :drunk:o_O:rolleyes:

Bagging a 1st year player out for probably the most inspirational section of play in that game. Bloke was completely spent and looked to run well past fatigue
yet kept going, never got control of the ball and managed to complete the tackle and force a ball up.

Nice contradiction too - you say he cant perform under pressure but then use a great example of exerting continual pressure over a long running section of play to where he does exactly what a defender should do - play his guts out and not quit defending until the play is over.

Gonna be a short year for you BC if you start like this.

Go Catters
wasnt questioning his endeavour. He was questioning his ability to pick the ball up cleanly under pressure. If he did that, like most players would, we would of won possession rather than just force a ball up. Stewart too often fumbles in big games.

Back