Jacobs is a worrry .....

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Shadforth

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran Hawthorn Hawks - Muston and Savage Player Sponsor 2010 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2009 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2008 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2007 Player Sponsor
Oct 15, 2003
Coolangatta Queensland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jacobs is a worry to say the least. That feeling got to me every time the ball went down onto our backline. He was the hole being punched. I’m sure the other players would get exasperated with him at times.

The only way to extinguish this concern is to dump him - he has had more than his fair chances at Hawthorn and it is obvious he cannot be a part of the great turn around that is going on at our club.

He is a passenger and, simply, he is not up to the standard required.

Your thoughts

Jacobs was initially mismatched with Sav and then the victim of circumstance twice on Hale when caught out by Croad's drifting off Sav and leaving DJ to try and man up on two opponents. It was also a pretty brave effort to get back so soon after that sickening head clash a fortnight ago. That said his performance yesterday and for most of his time at HFC has been pretty dissapointing. He appears to lack the intensity and clear decision making that are required in defence. For a player with his experience he makes some shocking and costly errors. When he left the Bombers a current Essendon player ( who is best mates with a friend of mine ) said he thought DJ would struggle to compete if he had to pick up the best or even second best opposition forward as he was very much a third string player in Essendons best team. It appears he may have been right. If Hay is right this week, Jacobs goes.

Can't prove this of course, but I would have thought John Barker would have been the ideal match up on Rocca.

Thankfully this week it appears we won't have Fevola to worry about so it may not be a huge problem for us this week. Looks as though Jacobs will be out anyway, copped another knock to the jaw.

Was never much a fan of Jacobs when he was at Essendon, very overated. But in his fairness, he's not a full back and was out of his depths- but not his fault on Saturday. He has been injury ridden at Hawthorn, but at times he looked like he had good run out of the Backline, and when Hay gets back can hopefully play a role similar to what Rawlings did for us years ago. I still think give him a chance this year- otherwise they might look at bringing Holland back into the side.

I usually get pretty frustrated with Jacob knockers as I think he is a very good player when used correctly, as in playing in defence on the 3rd tall. However, yesterday was one of the most inept performances I have ever seen and I've just about had it with him. Not sure when he suffered that knock to the face again, perhaps this needs to be taken into consideration but someone needs to sit him down and ask him a few hard questions, like whether or not he is fair dinkum.

You're not wrong, Jacobs certainly is a worry.

Played first quarter on Sav and Sav kicked 3.2 of the Roos 3.4. Went to Thompson, who had not been part of the game and Thommo started taking marks left, right and centre. Spent a couple of minutes on Hale and Hale kicked two goals then finally was relegated to Corey Jones and Jones started kicking goals! Roos must have been saying to themselves, Jaobs is a hack, kick it to whoever's got him. What's worse is that all of the passsages of play he was involved in turned ugly as he alsways gives to a player under lots of pressure. On top of all that, when the game was in the balance in the last quarter he dropped an uncontested mark that dribbled over the boundary right next to goal. Resulted in a roos goal that arrested the momentum, only 1 hawk gave him a pat to let him know its O.K. Then a couple of minutes later he gifted Jones possesion who walked in and kicked a goal from 1m out. Jacobs yelled at himself and no Hawk (5 were near him) would even look at him, they just left him standing in the goalsquare.

Jacobs at his best is a very very good defender who has done well at FB at Essendon.

But anything apart from his best (which we havent seen for at least 12 months) is very ordinary. I'd give him the Holland/Barker treatment, send him back to BH and unless he proves it he shouldnt get a game based on the fact we gave up pick 6 for him (or equivelent of).

Doug Scott, Nick Holland or Simon Taylor would have tried better than DJ. I don't bag my own players, but I have never been so frustrated since Laurence Bingham played at Hawthorn in the early 90's.

i always thought Jacobs would be handy for the hawks in the backline.and occaisionally in the forward line.I now know I was soooooooooo wrong.He is soft, disinterested ,slow witted , over rated and over paid.
But I am willing to give him a chance to be a champion for Box Hill.

Aside from thinking he was completely disinterested, or worried about his face, one thing stood out for me. At the 1/4 time and 3/4 time breaks and even in general play, he (appeared) to receive very little support from team-mates. In the form of verbal, or even a pat on the back. The 2005 Hawks are much different to the last few years. It seems that not only the coaches will not accept a half-a**ed effort, but nor will the players now. Seemed to me that this was their way of showing him that his half-baked approach to footy is just not on.

mulhollanddrive said:
Jacobs at his best is a very very good defender who has done well at FB at Essendon.

But anything apart from his best (which we havent seen for at least 12 months) is very ordinary. I'd give him the Holland/Barker treatment, send him back to BH and unless he proves it he shouldnt get a game based on the fact we gave up pick 6 for him (or equivelent of).

Agree totally.
After a couple of stellar games early this year i thought he had turned the corner after a disappointing 2004. But he appears to me to only be playing because he AC picked him, not because he loves to play for us, and win.
But quite simply if you're not in our best 22, then you shouldn't be playing for us until you are, which I don't think is too unreasonable.

Gary Shadforth said:
Jacobs is a worry to say the least. That feeling got to me every time the ball went down onto our backline. He was the hole being punched. I’m sure the other players would get exasperated with him at times.

The only way to extinguish this concern is to dump him - he has had more than his fair chances at Hawthorn and it is obvious he cannot be a part of the great turn around that is going on at our club.

Your thoughts
Gary, here's my thoughts. Danny had a down right stinker. And as someone pointed out it seemed like the Kangas were looking for an avenue to goal via his opponent. It seems to me DJ is a confidence player and he plays better when the team do well. Probably a reason he looked pretty good at Essendon but he's down on confidence right now.
I'm concern by the apparent lack of effort shown by him. An even bigger concern was that I didn't see AC take him off. Can we therefore assume he was playing to instructions and to the game plan? he was a liability in the last quarter and couldn't do a thing right.
I don't sense he will be dropped for Friday night. By all accounts Hay is going to be out for a while.
For the dropped mark, I thought he was looking right into the sun which I said to my mates at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on he had a bad game, he was really stretched down back against the Kangas. I think he can still be an important quality player for us like he was at his time at Essendon.

Gary Shadforth said:

Your thoughts

While i agree with you to a point and what you say is partially true, i could find at leas 12-15 passengers that have had there fair chance at Hawthorn that we are willing to keep that are alot worst than DJ. Why start a new thread on DJ and not Greene,Clarke,Ries,Sewell,Ball,Brennan,Dawson,Scott,Kane,Dixon,Ladson,Campbell etc etc etc.

Alex_au said:
Come on he had a bad game, he was really stretched down back against the Kangas. I think he can still be an important quality player for us like he was at his time at Essendon.
HE DID have a bad game! AC put him on an island with Sav and DJ was exposed. I see two problems with DJ. Firstly, he has had almost NO good games in Brown and Gold to balance the bad game(s). Secondly, the coaches pulled him off Rocca on Saturday and he was still exposed. He wandered far away from his man and his missed tackle late in the game was described as abysmal. He was truly a gaping hole in the Hawk defense that the Kagaroos utilized at almost every opportunity. Didn't understand why AC never pulled him out of defense and hid him in a forward pocket.

tige19 said:
Why start a new thread on DJ and not Greene,Clarke,Ries,Sewell,Ball,Brennan,Dawson,Scott,Kane,Dixon,Ladson,Campbell etc etc etc.

My answer, tige19, is I was discussing Danny Jacobs and his very poor game last Saturday and most he has played since being recruited to our club - I wasn't working on a thread about a clean-out at Glenferrie come season's end (although I agree with you on a majority of whom you have listed - do you include Jaqcobs on your list?).

Alex_au said:
......he was really stretched down back against the Kangas. I think he can still be an important quality player for us like he was at his time at Essendon.

Really, Alex_au, it seems to me some posters on this board have been making similar excuses for him for most of his career. I stress the point about him not being a part of our turn-around. All other senior players are setting examples for and encouraging the youngsters, in particular JB, but not one D Jacobs simply because he cant lead the way with his extended lack of form (and I suspect he is no longer up to a standard required for the intensity of 2005 football - what he did at Essendon 2 -3 seasons ago is not applicable to a rebuilding Hawthorn FC in 2005).

I like DJ. I think that he hasn't set the world on fire for us but the potential is there. I know that he is taking a long time to show us anything though. I think that if we persist with guys that don't have the skill for so long then why don't we give him a longer time - it's better to have guys with the ability than without.

Perhaps he shouldn't be given a role down back. What if he was played off the wing?

Gary the point of the matter is who will play back and hold that key back half position that Hay has been unable to play due to injury. If you put Croad at Fullback it will ruin the whole teams structure and it will weaken our excellent running half back setup.

Why the hell did Clarkson get rid of Mark Graham ? He could have proved quite usefull down there to fill the gap.

Alex_au, no doubt we both are die-in-the-wool Hawks fans and it would be great if DJ were to turn it around from his pro-longed form slump and prove me wrong with my opinion, albeit for what it is worth.

Ok, Clarkson and his selection panel may keep on having faith in him, but for how long? DJ owes the club a string of, at least, rest of the season sterling performances. Even so I dont think it will be at fullback.

If Hay keeps on as a serial injured player, now, in the rebuilding stage, is a time to experiment with another youngster and find someone who will hold down the FB position permanently if we are to climb back up the ladder over the years to come.

I respect your opinion, Alex_au.

Grahams form with the Tiggers is giving every indication thus far of the 'one season to many' syndrome. I liked Heebie, he gave his all but I reckon his time was probably up just the same.

With Jacobs on the list and contracted, we needed to find out if he was capable of actually 'stepping into' Heebie's role anyway.

Given that there was some decent play amidst the dross on Saturday (he did use it well when he had it, helped to launch a few times off the hb line, especially the 3rd q when we were doing well) it was a risk we had to take.

Jacobs is a capable enough player when he's got decent support. All the talk is "he was good at Essendon". Well, they were a good team as well (Fletcher, Wellman, Barnard, Soloman etc) offering support. We aren't anywhere near that level that he was surrounded with back when they were a power side.

He showed Saturday good play when the ball was running 'our way'. What we need is for him to show more when things aren't going 'our way'.

He and a few others are probably in the same boat. Show something or be moved on. In his favour, he was okay in his previous games as that floating halfback that he should be played as. The Neitz game aside though, every other time he's been asked to 'step up' to a k/p he hasn't.

My view is he's not really capable of doing that sort of role either, regardless of one good game three/four seasons ago against Tarrant.

Just heard on SEN that AC in his press conference this morning he praised Danny Jacobs for his game last Saturday and discussed his worth to the side in the light of recent criticisms.

Well, out of that, it seems DJ will be playing tomorrow night against Carlton. I trust AC'S judgment on the value of a player but I hope our new coach hasn't got a bit of the Schwab philosophy in him.

I look forward to Danny proving me wrong, albeit for what my thoughts are worth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back