Jaeger O'Meara

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I couldn't see a Jaeger specific thread but if ive missed something obvious please shift this post.

I've posted this on our Hawks Jaeger thread already but hopefully everyone's ok with me re-hashing it here.

Out in the real world I'm a Physio. I've been thinking for a while about doing a piece on Jaeger's knee particularly because his issues squarely frame something I've been finding a lot clinically with my patients.

As a bit of background, I'm really interested in getting to the bottom of why things are the way they are. My job allows me to peek behind the curtain of all sorts of athletes and pick up on patterns that lead to certain injuries and dysfunction. And with that I think I've been able to uncover some things the medical industry as a whole aren't quite aware of - AFL medicos included - in regards to what Jaeger's gone through pre-rupture. I think it may have some really important ramifications going forward in a broader sense.

I mentioned on our board that I know all this can sound a bit egotistical, but if you're interested have a read of my poorly cobbled together ramblings and feel free to share it around.

I'm keen to get this out there into the world but figured I'd post it here to get a sense of what the masses think - beyond my felow Hawks supporters.

I mention it at the end, but I see these issues far too often for them not to be viable and I'd love the Hawks to get wind of it. But in the much more likely event they don't - I hope that it might help those dealing with the issue.

Anyway, here's the link: https://yourwellnessnerd.com/knee-tendonitis-jaeger-omeara/
2c11af6d732058a032183052e0ef3972.jpg

Go Hawks.

Last edited:

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
I couldn't see a Jaeger specific thread but if ive missed something obvious please shift this post.

I've posted this on our Hawks Jaeger thread already but hopefully everyone's ok with me re-hashing it here.

Out in the real world I'm a Physio. I've been thinking for a while about doing a piece on Jaeger's knee particularly because his issues squarely frame something I've been finding a lot clinically with my patients.

As a bit of background, I'm really interested in getting to the bottom of why things are the way they are. My job allows me to peek behind the curtain of all sorts of athletes and pick up on patterns that lead to certain injuries and dysfunction. And with that I think I've been able to uncover some things the medical industry as a whole aren't quite aware of - AFL medicos included - in regards to what Jaeger's gone through pre-rupture. I think it may have some really important ramifications going forward in a broader sense.

I mentioned on our board that I know all this can sound a bit egotistical, but if you're interested have a read of my poorly cobbled together ramblings and feel free to share it around.

I'm keen to get this out there into the world but figured I'd post it here to get a sense of what the masses think - beyond my felow Hawks supporters.

I mention it at the end, but I see these issues far too often for them not to be viable and I'd love the Hawks to get wind of it. But in the much more likely event they don't - I hope that it might help those dealing with the issue.

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.peninsulaphysio.com.au/blog/jaeger-omeara-patella-tendonopathy/

Go Hawks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Great article mate, just out of interest do you have any research experience? If there's a significant enough correlation it might make for an interesting case study leading into further more expensive research.

If you believe strongly enough it might be worth either approaching a university physio/sports med faculty as it looks like it could be researched in conjunction with an honours project or part of a HDR/PhD.

Otherwise if you/someone you know has the research skills/experience it's definitely possible to undertake as independent research, you have a great starting point and resources with your clinic/client base for maybe an attempt at just getting a sample through snowballing and minimal recruitment effort

Edit: like the above said you can definitely get involved as a co-author/contributor if you go through a University

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.peninsulaphysio.com.au/blog/jaeger-omeara-patella-tendonopathy/

Go Hawks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks for this info. I have it in both knees and had surgery on my left knee 3 years ago. After running I still get aching pain in both knees and in cold weather it can be quite painful. I can feel the pain JOM is going through.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
From reading the article, I feel like there is some crossover between the OP's theory, and some fundamental ideas relating to chiropractic care, in terms of the relationship between the spine and the rest of the body. Great write-up!

donbooger

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2007
Williamstown
AFL Club
Geelong
Isn't that the part where the Psoas connects to the back. I would be suprised if AFL physios didn't put a lot of work into the Psoas of players with bad knees. Weak core, strong overactive Psoas are basic symptoms/causes of bad knees, do you think the tight back could be solved through working on that problem area? I would hope its just standard procedure.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So your argument is O'Meara has to get his back fixed first before he can get his knee fixed?
Kind of. In Jaegers case the tendon ruptured so all bets are off essentially. But if it's relevant to him it may improve what's going on overall. Jaeger specifically is a tricky one due to his rupture and other surgical issues but for the regular punter with a Tendonopathy I'm finding that back potentially holds the keys.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Isn't that the part where the Psoas connects to the back. I would be suprised if AFL physios didn't put a lot of work into the Psoas of players with bad knees. Weak core, strong overactive Psoas are basic symptoms/causes of bad knees, do you think the tight back could be solved through working on that problem area? I would hope its just standard procedure.
The Psoas does connect in and around here for sure. I agree that the AFL medicos would be all over that kind of thing, for sure. Nothing too new about that.

The way I see it is that the spinal stiffness most likely precedes what the Psos is up to ie. Free up the low back and the psoas frees up. The body generally priorities the spine first and any dysfunction works down the line from there. But thats what I'm finding nonetheless.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Absolutely brilliant article and very well thought out. Not sure of your postgrad training, but your thoughts seem very similar to the structure-function interrelationship that is taught in osteopathic literature.

AFL medicos are traditionally hesitant to consider external opinions but I'd highly recommend you try to get in touch with somebody with your post as they would be silly not to consider a thoracolumbar junction involvement, if they haven't already.

Fantastic article again Sven, well done.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Worst trade of all time.
Bigfooty folklore here

Worst trade ever?
That's easy. Pick 16 and 46 for Stephen O'Reilly who played 12 games for Carlton. AND they had to pay him illegally outside the cap. AND he blew the whistle on them. AND they had to pay a fine. AND they got kicked out of the draft and had to recruit hacks. AND it meant that their mulit-million investment in Denis Pagan was a waste because he had no players.

Stephen O'Reilly for - Pick 16, pick 46, $1m fine, pick 1, 2, 17 and 33 in the 2003 draft, pick 1 in the 2003 PSD, 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2004 draft and Dennis Pagan sacking

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Kind of. In Jaegers case the tendon ruptured so all bets are off essentially. But if it's relevant to him it may improve what's going on overall. Jaeger specifically is a tricky one due to his rupture and other surgical issues but for the regular punter with a Tendonopathy I'm finding that back potentially holds the keys.

What's the likelyhood they fix his back?

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Good stuff Sven.
As a pure weekend amateur athlete type doing lots of sport, I suffered chronic patella pain for years. Finally got some advice from a yoga fellow, he had me finding my spines neutral position thru different floor exercises then had me recapturing that position while standing walking sitting etc. There was no technical talk going on but after reading your article on the lumbar area that seems to correlate with the neutral spine area i was focussing on? Anyway, the focus on posture worked, no more patella pain, though when my correct posture slips the patella pain comes back.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Interesting theory. Have you put together any solutions to help with the back issue?
Either through stretches or exercises? Has this garnered any benefits in your experience?

It sounds as though it would be worth looking into, is there any way you can perform this study yourself? Either through you place of work allowing you and supporting this test or finding a way to get funded for it either through the government or some larger medical body?

Edit it's also worth noting I unfortunately got patella tendonopathy in both knees last year. Still get some pain, more in one than the other, but nowhere near as bad. My treatment was strengthening my quad muscles. Not really any stretching or manipulation, just building strength and rest from running/jumping.

Last edited:
Back