Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

I said nothing but watch him in the grand final. Go on , i dare you. Then come back to me,
In a game where johannison won the norm smith, for a performance where he turned it over more times than I cook a steak, I’ll go as far as saying there were no standouts for the day.

the grand final game. watch it and watch him. he was pathetic
And yet he was still your leading goal kicker for the season so he played well during parts of the season.

Yes he had down patches, nobody is denying that but the poster quoted clearly said his "average form from 2015 to 2021."

Do you need the definition of average explained to you? Hint, it isn't just the down patches.

As predicted at the time, has been a great trade for us. We paid SFA thanks to the Dogs’ interesting strategy of shitting on him publicly and driving his price down. He’s battled plenty of issues with his body and mind but has still been a very influential player who is very versatile and can turn a game with his presence in the middle or forward.

More than happy with what he brings, he’s a headache for the opposition to plan for and deal with every week.
Oh yeah, well the Bulldogs effectively turned the picks we got for Stringer into Josh Schache (and a pick shuffle). Schache also played on the weekend and kicked an important goal so I guess both clubs should be pretty happy with how it panned out. :shoutyoldman:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen him play much recently, but yesterday I thought he was pretty good. He also rotated through midfield if I wasn't mistaken which suggests his tank has improved a fair bit

Better than good, he was brilliant.
In fact, that was typical Jake Stringer.
Dynamic, explosive and unpredictable all at the same time.

But herein lies the issue, no one would ever expect 25 disposals, 5 marks, 4 goals on a weekly basis. It's when he drops back to those 13 disposals, 2 marks, 1 goal for the next 2-3 weeks which makes you ponder his desire.
There is rarely any in-between. It's either brilliant or meh'.

Just regarding how we handled trading him.
Take this however way you like - I know for a fact he was traded away due to his training standards and off field issues. He was still liked by the players but it caused rifts in the playing group around the standards/selection and the leaders had had enough.

I was shattered at the time as he was my favourite player but knowing what I know now, it was a blessing.

Has he changed now? Well I’ll leave that to you to decide.

He’s going to play well here and there but looking at him last night, he is completely wasting the backend of his career. Don’t care if he is carrying an injury or not, his body size is not up to afl standard. He was completely gassed 3-4 mins in and is clearly carrying excess weight. When’s it going to hit home that you have to work hard all year round?

Just regarding how we handled trading him.
Take this however way you like - I know for a fact he was traded away due to his training standards and off field issues. He was still liked by the players but it caused rifts in the playing group around the standards/selection and the leaders had had enough.

I was shattered at the time as he was my favourite player but knowing what I know now, it was a blessing.

Has he changed now? Well I’ll leave that to you to decide.

He’s going to play well here and there but looking at him last night, he is completely wasting the backend of his career. Don’t care if he is carrying an injury or not, his body size is not up to afl standard. He was completely gassed 3-4 mins in and is clearly carrying excess weight. When’s it going to hit home that you have to work hard all year round?
This is categorically false, players wanted him gone as much as Bevo. He did some cooked **** at the Doggies during those years.

This is categorically false, players wanted him gone as much as Bevo. He did some cooked **** at the Doggies during those years.

Some did, some didn’t. Got my information from someone in the leadership group at the time.

The s**t*ing in Tom Boyd’s locker is not a true story.

One example - rocking up to training mid week with that new tattoo on his chest and asking players not to touch him (for a main session). Stupid shi* like this.

He peaked in 2015
He's naturally confident - very very confident - and that can sometimes translate to a 'I don't need to do that' attitude. Sometime the penny drops with these types (see de Goey this year), but it seems with Jake that high effort is only ever transitory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back