Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

People will always ask the question, did he get the best out of himself? (And they will do so in an exaggerated scathing way because it's the internet)
He's still a good mercurial forward at worst

You have no idea what you’re talking about and clearly don’t watch the superstar closely enough to see the sublime skills he routinely performs.

He’s a very unique player. A marquee player. A power forward whose is as skilled as Cameron.

People on here always theorise how good players in dominant teams wouldn't be as good in shitty teams... They'd get "found out".. Or that good players in shitty teams would be even better in a dominant team.

I beg to differ. I reckon they are the same player and would be just as effective. The player you see in the good team is exactly what you get in the shitty team, and vice-versa.

Some examples from my own team: when Hawthorn declined after 2016, many people on here said that our second-tier stars such as Luke Breust, Jack Gunston and Isaac Smith would get "found out". Bollocks! They were gun players in the premiership teams and they remained gun players. No different, even as the team slid right down the ladder.
Not sure I agree with that premise.

Doesn't it depend on what role they're playing?

In a great team, a guy like Des Headland, just for example, was able to play the role of the 4th mid. He was a gun in that role.

Innan average team, he had to play the 1st-2nd mid role - and he sucked at it. He wasn't good enough to do it.

There's no doubt that Ed Langdon is better at Melbourne because he's allowed by the opposition to run around in open space on his own, because they have to out their efforts into stopping Melbourne's dominant midfield. In an average team he was an average player, because his role was different.

Even someone like McGovern from West Coast is a different player when required to play a different role in a s**t team. In a great team with a great defence, he was able to dominate the comp by playing the third man up role. But in a s**t team with a s**t defence he's required to defend more himself, and he's basically a pretty average player when whe is asked to do that.

Any small forward that plays in a good team with big forwards that bring the ball to ground regularly, will be worse off in a s**t team where the ball never hits the deck in their F50.

So I don't agree at all.

Nah that’s not it. He is more than able to string together good games and does so often. But he’ll play 3 or 4 and then get injured, even if it’s something fairly minor and only 1-2 weeks, and it wrecks his form, taking another few weeks to get back to top form. Rise and repeat.

Jake Stringer's career in a nutshell.
Brilliant one week, missing the next.

Jake Stringer's career in a nutshell.
Brilliant one week, missing the next.

Kicked 1.3 with a goal assist. Had Brayshaw playing on him as a defender who could have hurt us if he played further up the ground. Chased and applied pressure. Threw his weight around when around the footy.

Played his role. s**t bump.

Kicked 1.3 with a goal assist. Had Brayshaw playing on him as a defender who could have hurt us if he played further up the ground. Chased and applied pressure. Threw his weight around when around the footy.

Played his role. s**t bump.

Playing as a decoy now?

I wonder if he can bring his A game next week against quality opposition?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He actually handballed to a player in a better position rather than have a random shot like every time he gets the ball. Well done Package!
Yep that's what I noticed was doing the team things instead of trying to have a shot everytime.

Brad told him we dont need to you play a blinder every week just play a role for the team.

Nothing wrong with Jakey boy. While you're off buying a pie, he's doing little things that sometimes don't even warrant a stat. He earns his keep.

He’s the rare talent that only needs a fraction of a second free to have a ping at goal…from any angle.
That sort of freakish reaction time doesn’t grow on trees.

He stands up in tackles too. You need 2 or 3 to bring the buffalo down.

A powerhouse of a man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back