Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo has him as a possibility to go back to the Bombers in this mornings paper.

Asking "would Bonbers fans accept him coaching GWS"?

What a wierd take.

Surely Bombers fans are happy to move on from Bird after all he has cost them?
God bless Robbo.

Mark Robinson saying Hird going back to Essendon is a possibility feels delusional. Robinson spent years and years defending Hird in the Drugs Saga. He is not remotely unbiased when it comes to Hird as he would defend Hird in almost any situation.

The way he was talking tonight on 360, he must have spoken to Hird/Hird’s camp.

Either that or he’s delusional…

The way he was talking tonight on 360, he must have spoken to Hird/Hird’s camp.

Either that or he’s delusional…
It was utterly bizarre.

Gerard seemed stunned by his outburst.

He went deep into tragic, desperate, delusional Essendon fan mode for a few minutes there.

Had it all. Stand By Hird, Essendon were railroaded, a Messiah (Hird) is the answer, we should bash Luke Parker...

Wow. Just wow Robbo.

Last edited:
It was utterly bizarre.

He went deep into tragic, desperate, delusional Essendon fan for a few minutes there.

Had it all. Stand By Hird, Essendon
Yeah how poor was that bashing Parker stuff
'don't hit him in the head, but...'
That show is so far past its used-by date.

anyway, re. Hird, don't think you want a coach who last engaged with the game seriously in 2013.

Any coach ever take a decade-long hiatus, then came back and performed?

It was utterly bizarre.

He went deep into tragic, desperate, delusional Essendon fan for a few minutes there.

Had it all. Stand By Hird, Essendon were railroaded, a Messiah (Hird) is the answer, we should bash Luke Parker...

Wow. Just wow Robbo.

It’s a cult and it’s the way most of them still feel deep down inside.
It’s only a real unfortunate like Robbo that says it publicly these days …

Robbo's tackle column quote;

"James Hird would want to coach Essendon next season." (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/c1833e5544bb3037bea76e07b867af7a)
He said this on 360 as well and I was just sitting there thinking "who gives a * what he wants?"

Oh, he wants to coach Essendon again, I guess they have no choice. Sorry Rutten, Hird wants back in you're days are numbered. That was hilarious viewing I can't believe this nuffie gets paid to write these columns and sit on these shows. It's embarrassing.

anyway, re. Hird, don't think you want a coach who last engaged with the game seriously in 2013.

Who is Robbo's brother?

I reckon I've worked out what the issue is with his erratic ranting. His brother!!

He mentioned that he'd just got off the phone with his brother before coming on air, and that he's the average Essendon fan that's angry etc. etc. Robbo actually seemed a bit exasperated at the start.

It reminded me of having similar phone calls, where a friend of family member vents to/at you. You can't help but take some of it on. And if you have a slight inkling towards their views, they can really fire you up.

I would bet that Robbo's rant, would be almost word for word what his brother rolled with on the phone before he came on air. It had that vibe to it where someone has just spent 30 minutes being preached to by one of their COVID denier buddies or just spent all afternoon watching anti-vax YouTube clips, and they then go and repeat those views to the next person that is unlucky enough to cross their path.

It was just too unhinged, illogical and erratic to be anything else. Sack the coach? Bring back Hird? Essendon were railroaded in the drug saga?? They should have been violent towards Luke Parker? I mean, *, this is a senior journo on live TV FFS.

It literally sounded like the type of conversation two desperate and tragic, and angry footy fans would have with each other (usually whilst intoxicated), and between the two of them it really makes sense and sounds logical. But to anyone else it is just utter nonsense.

I wonder how many other times him and his brother have had chats before Robbo comes on air and makes a fool of himself?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is Robbo's brother?

I reckon I've worked out what the issue is with his erratic ranting. His brother!!

He mentioned that he'd just got off the phone with his brother before coming on air, and that he's the average Essendon fan that's angry etc. etc. Robbo actually seemed a bit exasperated at the start.

It reminded me of having similar phone calls, where a friend of family member vents to/at you. You can't help but take some of it on. And if you have a slight inkling towards their views, they can really fire you up.

I would bet that Robbo's rant, would be almost word for word what his brother rolled with on the phone before he came on air. It had that vibe to it where someone has just spent 30 minutes being preached to by one of their COVID denier buddies or just spent all afternoon watching anti-vax YouTube clips, and they then go and repeat those views to the next person that is unlucky enough to cross their path.

It was just too unhinged, illogical and erratic to be anything else. Sack the coach? Bring back Hird? Essendon were railroaded in the drug saga?? They should have been violent towards Luke Parker? I mean, fu**, this is a senior journo on live TV FFS.

It literally sounded like the type of conversation two desperate and tragic, and angry footy fans would have with each other (usually whilst intoxicated), and between the two of them it really makes sense and sounds logical. But to anyone else it is just utter nonsense.

I wonder how many other times him and his brother have had chats before Robbo comes on air and makes a fool of himself?
lol, maybe

and through every Robbo sermon, Gerard sits there with that hesistant grin painted on his face

stale formula

Yep, so many better candidates available. Hird wouldn’t even be on the second page of that list…..unless it was an Essendon list. And we know how the bombers seem to be one step ahead of the competition…….

Who is Robbo's brother?

It was just too unhinged, illogical and erratic to be anything else. Sack the coach? Bring back Hird? Essendon were railroaded in the drug saga?? They should have been violent towards Luke Parker? I mean, fu**, this is a senior journo on live TV FFS.

Jim.
Jim Beam that is.

I urge anyone who hasn't to read Michael Warner's ''The Boy's Club'' - it gives a very honest assessment of the Hird/Essendon drugs saga - and perhaps explains why Hird's name is being bandied about now by the AFL hierarchy and media re; future coaching roles. And the reason is guilt. Hird was definitely thrown under the bus by the AFL. He was denied due process - and that is the way the AFL always deals with these things.

Hird consequently spiralled into a deep depression and attempted suicide. The way that the AFL marshalled its resources against Hird, I have no doubt contributed to his mental downfall. This isn't to say Hird is blameless in the whole fiasco, but there was more to it than the general public was made privy to - because the AFL lined up Hird as the fall guy to protect themselves.

''The Boy's Club'' also talks about how Dean Bailey was lined up as the fall guy for Melbourne's tanking saga, rather than the likes of Cameron Schwab because of his lucrative connections to the gambling industry. Bailey told his close family and friends that he believed his deterioration in health was correlated to the stress of being strong-armed by the AFL and denied due process of his own.

TLDR; Gillon McLaughlin should be absolutely ashamed of the way the AFL treated Bailey and I believe to some extent, Hird as well (under his predecessor Demetriou). The AFL cannot make a amends to Bailey, but perhaps they are trying to do so with Hird by giving him another chance in the game.

I urge anyone who hasn't to read Michael Warner's ''The Boy's Club'' - it gives a very honest assessment of the Hird/Essendon drugs saga - and perhaps explains why Hird's name is being bandied about by the AFL hierarchy. My reading of it was, Hird was definitely thrown under the bus by the AFL. He was denied due process - and that is the way the AFL always deals with these things.

Hird consequently spiralled into a deep depression and attempted suicide. The way that the AFL marshalled its resources against Hird, I have no doubt contributed to his mental downfall. This isn't to say Hird is blameless in the whole fiasco, but there was more to it than the general public was made privy to - because the AFL lined up Hird as the fall guy to protect themselves.

''The Boy's Club'' also talks about how Dean Bailey was lined up for the fall guy for Melbourne's tanking saga. Bailey told his close family and friends that he believed his deterioration in health was correlated to the stress of being strong-armed by the AFL and denied due process of his own.

TLDR; Gillon McLaughlin should be absolutely ashamed of the way the AFL treated Bailey and I believe to some extent, Hird as well (under his predecessor Demetriou). The AFL cannot make a amends to Bailey, but perhaps they are trying to do so with Hird by giving him another chance in the game.
James Hird said he was going to take full responsibility

Then he didn't

The AFL owes him nothing

I don't think he has. Has he even given a proper apology?

Had Hird had any integrity he would have fallen on his sword immediately and the entire saga would have been over and done with within 6 months like what happened with Cronulla. Hard to believe the Cronulla Sharks were better run and managed than Essendon.

Back