James Hird to coach Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm, this appears to be the classic double-edged sword.

Pro: Hird will instantly unify all factions of the club - coterie, board, players, sponsors and supporters, thereby allowing the club to move forward quickly.

Pro: Looking at how Hird conducts his business interests, we can safely assume that affective man-management is one of his key skills. This will ensure that a) he doesn't do a Voss and alienate players with his arrogance and b) he can make vital decisions regarding trades and drafting without affected players feeling that they had their papers stamped already.

Pro: As the greatest Bomber behind Reynolds, Hutchinson and Coleman, he doesn't need to sell the club to anyone, thereby allowing him to focus his energies on improving the playing list.

Con: Hird's ascent to the coaching position has shown he can be utterly ruthless (this can be good and bad).

His strong relationship with the board suggests he knew first-hand the pessimism regarding Knight's outlook. He would have known that his comments regarding wanting to coach the club at some stage would let the board know of his interest - and have the side effect of weakening Knights further. His absolving of responsibility afterwards did not change this, merely leaving us to figure out if he could sort out his business interests in a way that would allow him to coach the club.

I say this is a con because the whole episode suggests that Hird and the corterie groups are currently the strongest powerbrokers at Essendon, rather than the board who have been weak and pathetic throughout this sorry saga. This tail-wagging-the-dog approach doesn't help any club in the long run.

The board shouldn't have extended Knights' contract in the first place and they should have waited for the club to complete the "promised review". The board would then have credibility as to the sacking of Knights and given the club valuable information as to where improvements were needed. The board could then admit they made the wrong decision and everyone could move on.

Con: Can he coach? Can he coax more out of existing players? What is his playing philosophy? These are all unknowns. Essendon has taken a massive gamble when proven, respected (and successful coaches) in Richardson, Laidley and Williams were all available.

Conclusion: Congratulations to Hird for being willing to pull up his sleeves and put in to help improve a club dear to him and in turmoil. He will be a good communicator who can make decisions quickly and inspire the club. However if Hird fails, sacking a favourite son will put the club back years and spell the end of the current board. The best clubs are often stable ones and the turmoil surrounding Knights' downfall will be nothing like that if Hird eventually goes.

Caveat Emptor - buyer beware.

I'll be pretty happy if this is the case.
Hird as coach and either Choco or Laidley as assistant.
Wallis should be good to.

I think we will be a better side in 2011 then 2010,
but still wont get to excited. Premiership still a long way off.
Looking forward to 'sack n trade' week. Should be interesting.

On other other hand, I don't really care what any of our supporters have to say on this matter, because most of them are hopelessly bias and believe Hird can resurrect the dead, so it was nice to see a well constructed post not intending to offend made by an opposition poster. Apollo Creed's posts were s**t. But that guy made a good one.

On other other hand, I don't really care what any of our supporters have to say on this matter, because most of them are hopelessly bias and believe Hird can resurrect the dead, so it was nice to see a well constructed post not intending to offend made by an opposition poster. Apollo Creed's posts were s**t. But that guy made a good one.

I guess it's good we have two hands.

Mmmm, Jessica Yates is so sexy talking about it :cool:
TIME-TO-FAP.jpg

Surely, the Board would not put a candidate with zero coaching experience into the top job.

I am not aware of any other $40,000,000 PA business that would pluck someone with no experience in any capacity in that role into the job. It could only happen in football where club boards (like Brisbane) seem to have read too many fairy tales.

Surely, the Board would not put a candidate with zero coaching experience into the top job.

I am not aware of any other $40,000,000 PA business that would pluck someone with no experience in any capacity in that role into the job. It could only happen in football where club boards (like Brisbane) seem to have read too many fairy tales.

Maybe not, but I am sure we could all reel off a heap of $40,000,000 + PA bussinesses that were built from the ground up by someone who had very little to no knowledge of the bussiness world. James Hird knows the game better than most, he played it for over 12 years. Right there is plenty of experience already. JAmes Hird was more than just a player on the field as well, Sheedy has said Hird was the onfield coach throughout his career, so I think he can make a great fist of it. James Hird has a smarter football brain than most of the current coaches. He will be great. Forget the romance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BTW. Leigh Matthews was assistant to Bob Rose for only 3 games before he became Collingwoods head coach. He ended up doing pretty well for an inexperienced coach. A flag 4 years later. and 3 more since.

In all serious though what most impressed me about what he had to say on On The Couch was that we'll be getting back to a gameplan that can win premierships. Good hard contested footy and a lot of defensive pressure. Things that were non existant under Matthew Knights.

He also understands that he has lots to learn and will be looking at getting the best possible coaching team around him so he can learn on the way, taking the focus away from the head coach.

Fletcher has to play until he's 40 now... surely?

Lloyd ruled himself out for next year, but I can still see him coming back after that.

The 2000 boys all coming back. It does give me tingles.

Apollo always posts s**t. Also, I seem to recall that I was very critical of the sacking of Knights. However, I did say that the new coach would not be the Messiah, unless it was Hird.

I love the way Malthouse, Matthews and Sheedy used to coach Collingwood, Brisbane and Essendon.

I love how it is Buckley, Voss and Hird now.

All had great rivalries and I hope they all build up great rivalries as coaches also. All greats of the game as players and hopefully they all become great coaches.

I do like the way Mick - Buckley was arranged and I am genuinely worried for Hird. I see Hird going into rebuilding mode after season 1. This list is young and can improve, but I'm not all that sold on your list so I do think this will be very challenging for Hird to meet expectations.

I'm a big believer in senior coaches getting some coaching experience and going through as an assistant under a quality senior coach for a few years. I do believe Buckley will benefit from this and Hird + Voss will suffer to some extent because of it.

I hope all three are successes. Will need some big time assistants around him. Will not be easy. Can he do it? Possibly. But I do have my doubts.

Hope he proves me wrong.

I am so shattered that I will be overseas for the first half of next year!

If Jimmy can get a couple of experiences assistants around him this will set the club up for several years.

I think any players that were asking to be traded will have a second think about it now...

Perhaps we might even become a 'preferred destination' for out of contract players.

If we can sign a couple of quality players over the next 24 months- the other pieces are there for a premiership team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back