Injury Jamie Elliot out Indefinitely with Pars Defect

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm telling you, I've had this condition. You can get to a place where you're pain free, everything is stable and then one innocuous movement and bang!!!! And because his training regime will always be putting stresses thru this area, he will not be allowing it to truly settle.

Doesn't help one of his weapons is his high flying marks.

Sounds like what happened to you happened to Elliot over the summer considering he had it last year also. :(

Doesn't help one of his weapons is his high flying marks.

Sounds like what happened to you happened to Elliot over the summer considering he had it last year also. :(
I'd actually think he'd benefit from not going from the high flying mark. 9/10 it's really not beneficial for anyone.

I'd actually think he'd benefit from not going from the high flying mark. 9/10 it's really not beneficial for anyone.

What about his new car? :D

How is the condition now? Does it go away? How long did it take?
It never really goes away but it can be managed and assisted through building a stronger core. Mine is a degenerative condition, some who suffer don't necessarily have a degenerative form of it.

Mine is a lot more stable because I stopped doing ridiculous sized weights and placing obviously too much stress through that part of the back. But I can be lifting huge bags of concrete dust all day and then go home and pick up a shoe and bang!!!!

Mine was discovered after a motorbike accident in '94 and I started getting a series of prolapsed discs from 1999. My first reaction was to increase weights to make it stronger. After 5 years of ongoing prolapsed discs, I got smarter. I'm sure Elliot has the best best advice with his condition and will be taking a different tack.....

It never really goes away but it can be managed and assisted through building a stronger core. Mine is a degenerative condition, some who suffer don't necessarily have a degenerative form of it.

Mine is a lot more stable because I stopped doing ridiculous sized weights and placing obviously too much stress through that part of the back. But I can be lifting huge bags of concrete dust all day and then go home and pick up a shoe and bang!!!!

Mine was discovered after a motorbike accident in '94 and I started getting a series of prolapsed discs from 1999. My first reaction was to increase weights to make it stronger. After 5 years of ongoing prolapsed discs, I got smarter. I'm sure Elliot has the best best advice with his condition and will be taking a different tack.....

I'm not too sure about that, is Davoron still at Collingwood?

Thanks for sharing your story. Great reading. I was reading about the strong core thing in wiki. I'm worried he would already have a fairly strong core already though and that wouldn't really solve much.

Terrible news for the team. One of our best kicks for goals, one of our best field kicks, a fast player and a player who can crumb to a degree. All of the former being areas of weakness for the team.

Really hope he doesn't miss the majority of the season as that would be a serious blow to our chances. Fas looking dangerous and the recruitment of Howe will offset that somehow but they don't offer the same amount of forward line 'danger' as Elliott who can basically kick goals from anywhere and any situation both marking and taking the set shot, crumbing or kicking a running goal.

Now he has re-injured his hammy in the VFL :mad:
Can I very reluctantly say I am not at all surprised as I have all but written him off as a viable future player. He has become another Lee Walker or Sean Rusling. He is close to our best player but his body just seems to be breaking down early in life.

Last edited:
Can I very reluctantly say I am not at all surprised as I have all but written him off as a viable future player. He has become another Lee Walker or Sean Rusling. He is close to our best player but his body just seems incapable of breaking down early in life.
I agree - unfortunately for us I think his future is an AFL footballer is out the window.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*I know there’ll be a temptation to not use this thread for discussing his latest setback, but it might be worth keeping it here, venting aside, to discuss whether the work Elliott is putting in to cope with his back is placing added load on his legs? It’s certainly a discussion where a poster like Big Charlie (I think) could add something.

My immediate reaction is if he’s lasting less than 15 mins at VFL level best case is we aren’t seeing him at senior level until the last third of the season.

*pending confirmation.
I think your theory probably has a lot of substance to it. I am no hamstring expert, but there does seem to be a connection between serious back problems and hamstring injuries. Elliott returned from pars defect when many like me thought his playing career was over. It seems we rejoiced at his return to football too early. NOTE: Channel 9 are currently discussing Elliott limping off today declaring it a blow to Buckley's efforts to get the forward line running at full capacity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back