Injury Jamie Elliot out Indefinitely with Pars Defect

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah they really do. Plenty of players having longer layoffs due to setbacks at training. The scans will show fine before the body is ready for the intense work rate of AFL.

Please stop. You are embarrassing yourself. Scans are utterly irrelevant. Anyone clearing a player to return to play merely because their scans showed they were okay should be stripped of whatever professional registration they have.

BC....just cos I can't help myself.
In your obvious professional diagnostic career, Have you ever seen an instance of an athlete (elite) where "all of the possible contributing factors have been addressed" and they still do their hammies?

No, not in the normal course of events.

Please stop. You are embarrassing yourself. Scans are utterly irrelevant. Anyone clearing a player to return to play merely because their scans showed they were okay should be stripped of whatever professional registration they have.

Where have I suggested players were cleared to play because scans were clear?

The point was it is then up to the player to dictate what level he was at and how far he could push it. A physician can only guide the player from there but only the player really knows when he's ready. When your inexperienced with that type of injury it is hard to really know. The longer you play the game and experience these problems the more you pick up on what your body can handle.

Neither am I which is why I’m prepared to sit back and wait on this one. I’m not keen on the talk of casting him aside because he’s a genuine match winner and we’d be selling low. That’s bad business! He’s worth a helluva lot more to us than other clubs. Not to mention matchday injuries happen it’s a non-negotiable in this game.

I think this one requires some lateral thinking because something isn’t quite right there, IMO. Be it the general training regime, the rehab program or lifestyle IDK, but what I believe is that there’s a trend now with two players in successive weeks suffering recurrence injuries within 20 minutes of returning to VFL action.

My main hope is that BF doesn’t live up to its stereotype and Armageddon begins in earnest once word spreads...

Definitely can't get rid of him, as you say he's worth too much when fit. It obviously is concerning though that he keeps getting injured like this in what you'd feel are relatively preventable injuries.

Cheers! Before the apologists enter the fray in earnest its good to get an assessment of the situation without a hint of bias. With the growing influence of big data I can’t accept that it’s simply “bad luck” which will no doubt be used. I’d also add Sinner to that group.

Good call, forgot about him.

Elliott's back program really shouldn't be contributing to the situation. As a matter of course, all footballers are doing deadlifts and their variations, bent over rows and their variations, Romanian deadlifts, kettlebell swings (or they should be). Maybe he does a couple of sets extra, perhaps he does some split squats or a little TRX work.

Methinks the medical and allied health staff at the CFC put too much faith in scans, and they undoubtedly worship at the altar of RCTs like far too may Physio's, but that's only a supposition.

Where have I suggested players were cleared to play because scans were clear?

The scans will show fine before the body is ready for the intense work rate of AFL.

The point was it is then up to the player to dictate what level he was at and how far he could push it.

Seriously?

A physician can only guide the player from there but only the player really knows when he's ready.
No, no, no.

When your inexperienced with that type of injury it is hard to really know. The longer you play the game and experience these problems the more you pick up on what your body can handle.

Elliott has had about three years' worth of hamstring related issues. Hardly what I would call inexperienced.[/QUOTE]

The club also have, or should if they were remotely competent, qualitative data on Elliott's hamstring strength/quad strength/glute function and strength/lumbar spine ROM as well as a whole bunch of other measurements relating to function.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s bad luck about Elliot doing his hammy today,really adds spark to that side and enjoy watching him,but just seems to be one of those players with great ability and no luck

Neither am I which is why I’m prepared to sit back and wait on this one. I’m not keen on the talk of casting him aside because he’s a genuine match winner and we’d be selling low. That’s bad business! He’s worth a helluva lot more to us than other clubs. Not to mention matchday injuries happen it’s a non-negotiable in this game.

I think this one requires some lateral thinking because something isn’t quite right there, IMO. Be it the general training regime, the rehab program or lifestyle IDK, but what I believe is that there’s a trend now with two players in successive weeks suffering recurrence injuries within 20 minutes of returning to VFL action.

My main hope is that BF doesn’t live up to its stereotype and Armageddon begins in earnest once word spreads...

If we can carry Ben Kinnear for a decade, Guy Richards for 7 years and Corey Gault for 6 years.
Then we can damn well keep an injury plagued match winner on for a few more yet.

Pretty frustrating seeing this happen after I posted during the week saying I wish they’d give him an extra week of just relaxing and doing nothing.
But resting and doing nothing for a week before playing AFL is going to increase the likelihood of soft tissue injury.

If we can carry Ben Kinnear for a decade, Guy Richards for 7 years and Corey Gault for 6 years.
Then we can damn well keep an injury plagued match winner on for a few more yet.
Bite the bullet and spend lots of money on overseas' treatment and promote Fasolo ASAP. And set up a deal for Moore with Sydney. We can't carry these 2 plus Fasolo as our major talent up forward.

To put in plain English (in my limited understanding) most hammie recurrences occur when one does too much too soon. Odds of a soft-tissue injury recurrence increase with each episode, and get shorter when a player hits the 30s.

Perhaps the club simply needs to lift its game. In England they've changed the rehab protocol to extend beyond simple stretching and strengthening to good effect:

"...This should focus on agility, trunk stabilization, neuromuscular control and eccentric exercises. The effectiveness of such a programme was demonstrated in a recent study which compared it to a basic hamstring stretch and strengthening programme. Re-injury rates in the comprehensive programme were 0% at 2 week and 7.7% at 1 year, while the stretch and strengthening group were 54% at 2 weeks and 70% at 1 year.."

http://www.thephysiocompany.com/blog/michael-owen-and-the-curse-of-his-recurring-hamstring-injuries

P.S: And hell yeah we keep Elliot on our list and work hard until we get him right, or we are 120% sure he'll never be.

Last edited:
Trade him to the Saints to rehab alongside Freeman.

Kidding, I guess we try to get him right until we're certain he won't come good.

Then trade him to St Kilda.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back