Player Watch Darcy Moore (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was watching a guy on youtube go through some plays from Thursday night. Darcy had a stinker. Went up when he shouldn’t have on multiple occasions which left his man by himself for easy goals. More worrying was footage of Crisp and De Goey just walking through the middle of the ground with no urgency at all.
Going up when his man stays down isn’t too bad, it’s not affecting the contest and punching the ball 20 meters away that kills us.

Was watching a guy on youtube go through some plays from Thursday night. Darcy had a stinker. Went up when he shouldn’t have on multiple occasions which left his man by himself for easy goals. More worrying was footage of Crisp and De Goey just walking through the middle of the ground with no urgency at all.
Agree totally on JDG & Crisp's body language & poor efforts during the Saints game. It infuriated me at the ground watching them.

Agree totally on JDG & Crisp's body language & poor efforts during the Saints game. It infuriated me at the ground watching them.

It was damning and shocking to watch. Both were just walking while a Saints player ran right past them and took a mark inside 50.

Our defensive set up / press seems a bit out of whack at the moment. That certainly has not helped Moore.

There was one time to the Southern Stand end where Moore came to the contest and Markov needed to cover Moore’s opponent. Markov was way too slow to react. I dare say that probably happened multiple times.

There were other times where a short kick would suck in three of our players to the contest - that seems to happen between the arcs. That then leaves the opposition free. To me that is about knowing which player is responsible for which area. That seems to be happening a fair bit.

There also needs to be more pressure so that we deny the opposition these short kicks that change the angles.

The poor disposal by Moore well that is decision making and skill and will yeah he needs to sort that out. I would be removing Moore from kick outs. But I thought under Buckley that Moore was a pretty good aggressive kick.

Whereas Geelong is set up perfectly behind the ball and Tom Stewart looks amazing. Liam Jones for the Dogs also looks amazing.

I don’t think Moore reads the play as well as May. May is a freak though.

Pointing out when someone plays poorly doesn’t make you a fair weather fan. Criticising others for their views that you don’t want to hear, makes you look like a control freak. Take off the rose coloured glasses for a change.
You tried to start a rumour about him. That’s not a view, it’s s**t behaviour

Dog Whippet GIF by Macattack

Our defensive set up / press seems a bit out of whack at the moment. That certainly has not helped Moore.

There was one time to the Southern Stand end where Moore came to the contest and Markov needed to cover Moore’s opponent. Markov was way too slow to react. I dare say that probably happened multiple times.

There were other times where a short kick would suck in three of our players to the contest - that seems to happen between the arcs. That then leaves the opposition free. To me that is about knowing which player is responsible for which area. That seems to be happening a fair bit.

There also needs to be more pressure so that we deny the opposition these short kicks that change the angles.

The poor disposal by Moore well that is decision making and skill and will yeah he needs to sort that out. I would be removing Moore from kick outs. But I thought under Buckley that Moore was a pretty good aggressive kick.

Whereas Geelong is set up perfectly behind the ball and Tom Stewart looks amazing. Liam Jones for the Dogs also looks amazing.

I don’t think Moore reads the play as well as May. May is a freak though.
May plays like a backstop. He is not especially quick but is smarter than Moore. Stewart, Sam Taylor and Liam Jones are also smarter hence do not have to be as quick. All of those defences bar the Bulldogs are set up better than ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May plays like a backstop. He is not especially quick but is smarter than Moore. Stewart, Sam Taylor and Liam Jones are also smarter hence do not have to be as quick. All of those defences bar the Bulldogs are set up better than ours.

May also beats his direct opponent. Tom Stewart is more a backstop imo.

Coaches should put that up at the wall on training.

Time to move on from your premiership heroics and pull up the socks.

It wouldn't be good policy to get into the habit of validating and amplifying external noise.

And you would think that the club has its own indicators of performance and pathways to improvement, other than advertising what is really just another pitchfork piece.

It doesn't matter how good your players are or what your game plan is if the effort just isn't there you're going to become a very average football side.

A poster over at Nick's stated:

Our last 12 games played we are 6-6
Our biggest winning margin (admittedly against a weakened side) was 70 points against Essendon
Taking that result away our next biggest winning margin was 8 points

Our losses where by
15-33-32-24-32-17

The first 3 are our first 3 games of this season the last 3 our 3 losses in our last 9 games

In those losses of 2023 our pressure rating for the game averaged 158 which was well below our average in winning games of 197 (AFL average was 186 in winning sides)
In 2024 our average pressure rating is 152 well below the current AFL average of 188.

In 2023 our players with more than 150 games experienced averaged 3.7 clangers/turnovers per game each in 2024 that has risen to 7.9 that’s double the error rate
Our kicking efficiency in 2023 for all games all players was 69.3% which was marginally above the AFL average of 68.4%
In 2024 it’s 54.9% well below the AFL average of 67.8%

Our pressure acts for the entire team is down by 42 per game from our season average in 2023

It doesn't matter how good your players are or what your game plan is if the effort just isn't there you're going to become a very average football side.

It was obvious in the Giants game that they wanted it more than we did. I kind of expected that from them after their 1 point PF loss.

I had hoped we'd recover the hunger for the Swans game...but didn't. I really, really hoped we'd recover it by the Saints game & even just scrape through for a win to give us a boost.

Just hanging onto hope at this point .. 😩

When I read gloomy stats like this, I can’t help but think - did I imagine the flag?

I get that we may be in trouble, but the sceptics amongst us (or the perennially optimistic) can surely be forgiven when you stick a flag into the middle of that doomsday scenario.

We won a flag in those quoted last six games! In the highest pressure environment and in a game of the highest quality.

When I read gloomy stats like this, I can’t help but think - did I imagine the flag?

I get that we may be in trouble, but the sceptics amongst us (or the perennially optimistic) can surely be forgiven when you stick a flag into the middle of that doomsday scenario.

We won a flag in those quoted last six games! In the highest pressure environment and in a game of the highest quality.
Agreed. Dee supporters like to always talk up about how dominant they were during their premiership year...pfft. Hasn't helped them much in the years that followed.

A win is a win is a win. And we won the bloody big one. And last time I checked we're still the reigning premiers.

Yes and we did it with max effort and intensity come finals which enabled us to eek out every ounce of talent at our disposal.

No one is rubbishing our Premiership simply looking for indicators of why we have dropped off so far this season.

The good news is our poor performance is being reflected in our pressure rating. If we were playing poorly with pressure levels matching our best of last season I'd be more concerned. It's something that's at least in our control.

The unknown is whether we will recapture the hunger of the last 2 seasons anytime soon, if we do how long will it last and whether increased hunger alone is enough to overcome opposition sides who believe they can now breakdown and exploit our game plan.

We're thgree games in to a new season that is 24 games long. As Fly says, first goal is to qualify. That typically requires 15 wins. There is a long way to go and plenty of opportunity left. If we were to win three out of evey four games from here on out, we likely qualify. We're not done yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back