Jeff ‘Joffa’ Corfe opens up about his horrific childhood and life on the streets to help homeless

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter went to Melbourne about a year ago and mentioned the amount of homeless people, considering she works out in the bush and when in town (Perth ) doesn't go into the city much i did not think anything of it, but recently went to Melbourne for a boys weekend and actually noticed it myself, they just seem to throw their mattresses down on the sidewalk, seems to be a growing problem, anything that can make a difference is a good thing.

Never noticed it before in Melbourne, or at least so much in the public eye.
Worse than ever now with the Ice epedemic, government isn't interested in tackling the problem though, not in any significant way at least.

My daughter went to Melbourne about a year ago and mentioned the amount of homeless people, considering she works out in the bush and when in town (Perth ) doesn't go into the city much i did not think anything of it, but recently went to Melbourne for a boys weekend and actually noticed it myself, they just seem to throw their mattresses down on the sidewalk, seems to be a growing problem, anything that can make a difference is a good thing.

Walk up Swanston street everyday. Usually see atleast a dozen living on the street near the State Library and Melbourne Central. Very sad. Same lot of people most of the time, some new ones come in every now and then. Sad part is that there seems to be more and more each year.

Guess he is used to dealing with dickheads

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

He spent enough time on BigFooty acting like one. If the last ten or 15 years have improved him that's good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I too had never noticed people sleeping rough in Melbourne, until about 15 years ago. When I was living in Sydney, in 1965, the homeless were highly visible, on the streets around the Cross particularly. I've visited Sydney a few times in the past couple of years and the problem is much worse than Melbourne is, or Sydney was in the 60s. The dispossessed and ignored are everywhere. This whole situation is a national shame. It riles me that our politicians want to maintain tax advantages for the relatively wealthy through negative gearing, but are unable to fund further public housing. Having been homeless myself for a few weeks, I know how devastating it is. You feel like a non-person, and without an address, the likelihood of gaining employment is zilch.

Sorry about the rant.

Edit: I have utmost respect for anyone who works at alleviating homelessness and its effects. I especially admire people who do it because it needs doing, rather than on some religious basis. For this reason alone, Joffa deserves our thanks. I'd heard about his upbringing and the work he does for those less well off a few years ago, so it's something he's been doing for a while. He does need a substantial makeover though, even though I hate that word.:)

Last edited:
Worse than ever now with the Ice epedemic, government isn't interested in tackling the problem though, not in any significant way at least.
State govt doesn't care but City of Melb is putting heaps of time and resources into it. The way the problem has escalated in the last two years is bizarre though. There were always people sleeping rough - but now almost every thoroughfare has multiple setups along the way. Hard to put it down to just one problem - it's not just ice.

He spent enough time on BigFooty acting like one. If the last ten or 15 years have improved him that's good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's possible that there's the Collingwood Joffa, and then there's the one we're discussing here. Some fine people I know, who happen to be Collingwood supporters, turn into raving lunatics when attending games or discussing their team. I sometimes admire their passion, but it becomes old very quickly. I vaguely remember his quaint (insert your preferred adjective) performances on here all those years ago.

Edit: To re-enforce my thesis, a mate who is now a Supreme Court judge in Victoria, is also a Collingwood supporter. While still a barrister, he attended a match at Victoria Park one Saturday, and became involved in a stand up blue with an older opposition supporter, which ended just short of fisticuffs. It wasn't till he entered the court room on the following Monday that he realised his antagonist was sitting up there on the bench. As they do, the judge feigned a complete lack of recognition of my mate.

Last edited:
I've ran into him a Subiaco once a few years back. Responded to some light hearted banter about him prematurely putting on his gold jacket a few weeks earlier in the Anzac Day before Essendon's miracle come back by getting quite aggressive and using offensive language.. Pretty embarrassing behaviour with kids around from a middle aged man, he's an absolute peanut.

Walk up Swanston street everyday. Usually see atleast a dozen living on the street near the State Library and Melbourne Central. Very sad. Same lot of people most of the time, some new ones come in every now and then. Sad part is that there seems to be more and more each year.

Try getting someone into crisis accommodation in Melbourne. F**kin' nightmare and it's been like this for a while now (and getting progressively worse).

I remember about 10 years ago, when working in an ED at one of Melbourne's larger public hospitals. The only crisis option for a vulnerable homeless lad with an intellectual disability was The Gatwick FFS. Wouldn't send my worst enemy there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually quite shocked when I went to melbs the first time seeing homeless on the floor outside shops that were trading ffs.
I gave ten bucks to some young fella near a Maccas who was sitting there with his sign.
When meeting up with other footy peeps I was told it's a waste as he will just spend it on drugs or grog....I replied with id like to hope he got himself a burger and a hot meal and ill give him the benefit of the doubt.

If you want to see a homeless problem, try living in New York...

I was actually quite shocked when I went to melbs the first time seeing homeless on the floor outside shops that were trading ffs.
I gave ten bucks to some young fella near a Maccas who was sitting there with his sign.
When meeting up with other footy peeps I was told it's a waste as he will just spend it on drugs or grog....I replied with id like to hope he got himself a burger and a hot meal and ill give him the benefit of the doubt.

My daughter did the same thing - fair enough I thought.

The amount of homeless people that are clearly mentally ill (ramblers) or disabled is shocking

That was meant to be loose comparison :), my son and wife are going in December to NY, so hopefully it will give him a heads up on how good he has it, we spent a week up in the remote communities up North helping run aboriginal football and softball programs, that was certainly an eye opener on how some people live in a fantastically wealthy country.

Wasn't there a story a few months back saying that their were too many services for the homeless in Melbourne and that was making many homeless emigrate here from other states.

That was meant to be loose comparison :), my son and wife are going in December to NY, so hopefully it will give him a heads up on how good he has it, we spent a week up in the remote communities up North helping run aboriginal football and softball programs, that was certainly an eye opener on how some people live in a fantastically wealthy country.
Good on you for giving back!

The amount of homeless people that are clearly mentally ill (ramblers) or disabled is shocking

I might also add that my daughter and a friend were held up at gunpoint by a mentally ill bloke in San Fran last year, of course we only heard about it via Facebook

Cops did not really care - would have been front page news in Perth

Cities are probably around the same size, Perth may actually be bigger

I might also add that my daughter and a friend were held up at gunpoint by a mentally ill bloke in San Fran last year, of course we only heard about it via Facebook

Cops did not really care - would have been front page news in Perth

Cities are probably around the same size, Perth may actually be bigger
My uncle got hit in the head from behind while in New Orleans. Knocked out, and had all his possessions stolen. Ended up in hospital. Scary stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back