Training Jen's training updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would pay very little attention to announcements of our playing style for next season. It's not like he's going to tell the truth anyway.

Like what is said above, we are defence first anyway as are all the better teams. Only lunatics like Voss, Hird and Knights think that they can go the other way.

Anyone concerned by Nathan’s comments that he wants us to be a defence first team in 2020?
If anything we need to find more goals.Our best weapons are midfield and forward of centre...we should be looking to score more freely.

I feel we stagnated last year with too much stop start risk adverse and defensive footy which ultimately cost us.

Our best weapon is our team defense. From that everything feeds. Not sure why that would change.

Anyone concerned by Nathan’s comments that he wants us to be a defence first team in 2020?
If anything we need to find more goals.Our best weapons are midfield and forward of centre...we should be looking to score more freely.

I feel we stagnated last year with too much stop start risk adverse and defensive footy which ultimately cost us.

I’d like to echo the comments of the others that we’re defence first anyway. For all we know those comments could be in relation to us wanting to defend better in our forward half. That would lead to more repeat opportunities at goal allowing us to score more easily. There’s a reason all of the good teams are defence first.

I understand the logic of being tight defensively--- I'm just concerned by the fact that if you look at the way we moved the ball last season, it really went too far into the defensive side of things by trying to control the ball and minimise exposing our back half which resulted in our scoring power going down.

I understand the logic of being tight defensively--- I'm just concerned by the fact that if you look at the way we moved the ball last season, it really went too far into the defensive side of things by trying to control the ball and minimise exposing our back half which resulted in our scoring power going down.
I'm with you. I'll be concerned if we aren't looking to run more aggressively in transition and get more blokes forward to the fall of the ball up forward. I think they were the big issues last season and the reason why Richmond are the best team in the comp. I'd like to see us maintain a tight defensive structure from the back 5-6, but when we get the footy, flat out attack from the other 12-13. I thought we were balanced this way in 2018, but got scared of being scored against on turnover in 2019.

You mean the bloke who played both Defense and Fwd as an under 18? Including bags of 9 and 8? He like Moore is a dual role player will star in either role.

Naughton's another that has made the transition from defence to forward.

I would pay very little attention to announcements of our playing style for next season. It's not like he's going to tell the truth anyway.

Like what is said above, we are defence first anyway as are all the better teams. Only lunatics like Voss, Hird and Knights think that they can go the other way.

But equally the best teams dont hamstring themselves offensively when they have the ball. I feel we played a overtly defensive brand with ball in hand last year.

Most dynasty teams are high attacking sides who also have very good defensive structures in place. Teams who focus too much on defense may make finals but they are the teams who pinch one or regularly fail in finals (Ross lyon) and not really have sustained premiership chances/wins.

Grant Thomas was the opposite of Lyon. Luckily for us they didn't work together one defensive coach the other offensive.

I'll be only at training for about an hour tomorrow morning before I have to leave. But Wed usually light session so probably not a lot to miss out on.

Need you there Friday to check the New Draftees Out Jen2310 😉

Need you there Friday to check the New Draftees Out Jen2310 😉
Friday I'll be there. But don't they get them to come in on the following monday from a draft? Not the friday. If that's the case, they're walking into a 2KM time trial monday morning Haha

Friday I'll be there. But don't they get them to come in on the following monday from a draft? Not the friday. If that's the case, they're walking into a 2KM time trial monday morning Haha

Depends where they come From.

IF Vic Boys they might make appearances Friday interstate be Monday for them I guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naughton is one yes.

King doesn't count as he had played a substantial amount of games up forward prior to drafting it's not like he was a pure defender.

It goes to show that defenders can transition forward. It may be more skewed the other way around but it happens. In the context of the earlier discussion about Kelly I don't think we can prematurely write-off the idea of him transitioning forward like others have. It makes some sense looking at our current list profile and his form (albeit limited) in the position.

Get blokes like Quaynor Moore and Crisp running on the overlap from the back half.. would create a nightmare for the opposition.. yes we'll leave our backline exposed somewhat.. and yes it might cost us a coupla more goals in a game of footy.. but the whole idea is to outscore your opponents doing it.. you're taking the game on.. and it's just difficult to coach agst. A lot of it depends on the selflessness of our players.. if Quaynor is running through the guts.. someone should back the kid up and slot in to his position. When done right.. at it's best and s**t.. if we f it up and lose the pill.. the fact that we've got Crisp and Quaynor high up the pitch would mean that we can prevent a counterattack anyhow re. And we've still got someone down back that can create a good enough contest to prevent em from scoring should they get through coming back at us and that re. All of that s**t should be left up to the discretion of the players.. if I was coaching all I can do is promote it.

I doubt Buckley will go that way. Far too risk averse and controlling. Only took the bloke 6 yrs to figure out.. micro management of players is not a good thing re.

Last edited:
It goes to show that defenders can transition forward. It may be more skewed the other way around but it happens. In the context of the earlier discussion about Kelly I don't think we can prematurely write-off the idea of him transitioning forward like others have. It makes some sense looking at our current list profile and his form (albeit limited) in the position.

No harm in looking true. Naughton attacks the contest and ball very hard not sure i have ever seen that intent from Kelly nor Naughtons athleticism.

From memory you're right, they generally don't make an appearance until Monday which seems to be normally an orientation/induction type of day. Usually the club posts a photo of the draftees having a brief watch from the sidelines.

From memory you're right, they generally don't make an appearance until Monday which seems to be normally an orientation/induction type of day. Usually the club posts a photo of the draftees having a brief watch from the sidelines.

Yeah, pretty sure they head into the AFL with all the other draftees for that orientation on the Monday. Get the drugs talking to, the social media awareness training, that type of stuff.

IMO, the reason we rarely see defenders go forward is because KPF is just harder. Basically if you fail as a KPF you can still go down back, but if you fail down back there’s no going forward.

For all we know the likes of McGovern and Pearce are gun KPF’s in the making, but circumstances dictate that they’ll be defenders for life. Ditto Moore. I’m wrapt that Kelly’s at least being trialled up forward because if that comes off it’s much more beneficial to us long term than if he makes it as a KPD. Worse case he fails and goes down back 👍

I was only there briefly this morning, but Jamie Elliott, Steele Sidebottom and Josh Thomas had their first session on the track.
After warming up, they straight went to drills then into a little match sim on the other side of the ground. By that point, I had to leave.
There was also a group of alternating players doing running session, including Quaynor, Maynard, Cameron, Cal Brown.

Players in attendance:
Stevo
Elliott
Dunn
Brpwn 2
Phillips
Sidebottom
Kelly
Thomas
Roughy
Murphy
Wills
Appleby
Quaynor
Sier
Maynard
Howe
Tohil
Mihochek
Cameron

A group of kids from St Kevin's college (between 7-8 aged) were on a school trip with their teachers, and loved seeing the players training, and getting to wave to them. Jamie Elliott had a little chat to them, about wanting to come train with them. It was cute.

Friday I should be able be more info when I'll be able to stay a little longer.

I was only there briefly this morning, but Jamie Elliott, Steele Sidebottom and Josh Thomas had their first session on the track.
After warming up, they straight went to drills then into a little match sim on the other side of the ground. By that point, I had to leave.
There was also a group of alternating players doing running session, including Quaynor, Maynard, Cameron, Cal Brown.

Players in attendance:
Stevo
Elliott
Dunn
Brpwn 2
Phillips
Sidebottom
Kelly
Thomas
Roughy
Murphy
Wills
Appleby
Quaynor
Sier
Maynard
Howe
Tohil
Mihochek
Cameron

A group of kids from St Kevin's college (between 7-8 aged) were on a school trip with their teachers, and loved seeing the players training, and getting to wave to them. Jamie Elliott had a little chat to them, about wanting to come train with them. It was cute.

Friday I should be able be more info when I'll be able to stay a little longer.
Did the St Kev's kids get one of their delightful little chants going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back