Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Match Information

• Venue: Narrendera Sports Ground
  • Time: 2.05pm
  • Entry: Free for competing team members with game access.
  • Ticketing: http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=JLTCUP0117
  • Broadcast: Foxfooty (National), AFL Live App
  • Weather: Mostly sunny. Slight (20%) chance of a shower in the northeast in the morning. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning. Max 27
Teams

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

8. Callan Ward, 10. Devon Smith, 11. Will Setterfield, 12. Jonathon Patton, 13. Isaac Cumming, 14. Tim Taranto, 15. Matthew Kennedy, 16. Nathan Wilson, 18. Jeremy Cameron, 19. Nick Haynes, 20. Adam Tomlinson, 21. Matthew Buntine, 22. Josh Kelly, 25. Tendai Mzungu, 26. Dawson Simpson, 27. Harrison Himmelberg, 28. Zach Sproule, 29. Zac Williams, 30. Matthew Flynn, 31. Jeremy Finlayson, 33. Lachlan Tiziani, 35. Aidan Corr, 36. Harry Perryman, 37. Rory Lobb, 38. Daniel Lloyd, 39. Tim Mohr, 42. Jake Stein, 44. Tom Downie, 50. Sam Reid

Notable absentees: Phil Davis, Stephen Coniglio, Toby Greene, Tom Scully, Dylan Shiel, Steve Johnson, Heath Shaw, Brett Deledio, Ryan Griffen, Shane Mumford

WEST COAST

4. Dom Sheed, 5. Brad Sheppard, 6. Elliot Yeo, 7. Chris Masten, 8. Jack Redden, 10. Tom Lamb, 12. Sharrod Wellingham, 15. Jamie Cripps, 16. Eric Mackenzie, 19. Nathan Vardy, 23. Lewis Jetta, 24. Luke Partington, 28. Tom Cole, 30. Jackson Nelson, 31. Will Schofield, 33. Josh Hill, 34. Mark Hutchings, 35. Josh Rotham, 36. Fraser McInnes, 37. Tom Barrass, 38. Kurt Mutimer, 39. Malcom Karpany, 40. Tom Gorter, 41. Jordan Snadden, 42. Tarir Bayok, 43. Matthew Allen, 45. Jake Waterman, 46. Paddy Brophy, 47. Francis Watson

Notable absentees: Sam Mitchell, Drew Petrie, Matt Priddis, Luke Shuey, Josh Kennedy, Mark LeCras, Jack Darling

Narrandera Sports Ground playing surface is believed to be bigger then the MCG.

Why can't the Eagles play in Broken Hill.

Narrandera Sports Ground playing surface is believed to be bigger then the MCG.

Why can't the Eagles play in Broken Hill.
:cool: Perhaps one day you will be ready to play in that traditional bastion of Aussie Rules. The locals have high standards and are very discerning though.
Do well in Narrandera and perhaps the AFL will consider it.

Last edited:
Seriously to the WC posters, we get it's not great for you. Narrandera makes sense for us and appropriate in our academy zone. We had to have another team to make a game.
Who knows next year we might be drawn to play a WA on your north coast, and will have to take it on the chin.

Seriously to the WC posters, we get it's not great for you. Narrandera makes sense for us and appropriate in our academy zone. We had to have another team to make a game.
Who knows next year we might be drawn to play a WA on your north coast, and will have to take it on the chin.

I personally don't care about the location/travel.

But the issue isn't the length of the trip in isolation as you suggest. It's the fact that the afl have given the longest trip of the preseason to the team that already travels the most. It would be fine for GWS to travel an equivalent distance (in a preseason game) because their travel load throughout the season is much smaller.

I personally don't care about the location/travel.

But the issue isn't the length of the trip in isolation as you suggest. It's the fact that the afl have given the longest trip of the preseason to the team that already travels the most. It would be fine for GWS to travel an equivalent distance (in a preseason game) because their travel load throughout the season is much smaller.
I didn't suggest it was in isolation, and I do get your issue.
We are actually the most often travelled team in the AFL. That's becuase of the Canberra games and the one away game a season in Sydney. Not pretending it's as arduous as the WA clubs though.
I guess what I can say is it isn't the Giants scheduling, and it will be a treat for the locals to see WC play.
Clearly you'd prefer regional WA and that's reasonable.

I didn't suggest it was in isolation, and I do get your issue.
We are actually the most often travelled team in the AFL. That's becuase of the Canberra games and the one away game a season in Sydney. Not pretending it's as arduous as the WA clubs though.
I guess what I can say is it isn't the Giants scheduling, and it will be a treat for the locals to see WC play.
Clearly you'd prefer regional WA and that's reasonable.

Yeah I don't see the huge deal personally.

And I'm looking forward to seeing the kids from both lists in action. Great that footy is back.

Broken Hill is where I am from.
And me in fact apologise or the sarcasm. Two Broken Hill boys in Cummin and Tiziani out there for us, really looking forward to them doing well.Will be watchning them closely all season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be fine for GWS to travel an equivalent distance (in a preseason game) because their travel load throughout the season is much smaller.

Travel load? we have 9 games in Sydney. We travel for the other 13. How many times does your team travel away from home?

That said, I acknowledge that distances are (mostly) greater for WA teams. But they get to sleep in their own beds more often, they don't have to schlep out to the airport and get on a plane as often.

Swings and roundabouts. You drew the short straw. This time.

Let's hope for a good game (with half a dozen debutants, mostly from the local area) I'm looking forward to it when I get home from watching the women go at it, at Blacktown (in one of our only two Sydney games in that league)

Broken Hill over the years has produced many great footballers no one bigger then Taylor Walker, GWS has three young Broken Hill making their debut today.

It is fantastic this game is being played in
Narrandera and I would love to see many more pre season games played in country towns and cities such as Narrandera and Broken Hill.

Travel load? we have 9 games in Sydney. We travel for the other 13. How many times does your team travel away from home?

That said, I acknowledge that distances are (mostly) greater for WA teams. But they get to sleep in their own beds more often, they don't have to schlep out to the airport and get on a plane as often.

Swings and roundabouts. You drew the short straw. This time.

Let's hope for a good game (with half a dozen debutants, mostly from the local area) I'm looking forward to it when I get home from watching the women go at it, at Blacktown (in one of our only two Sydney games in that league)

I don't think your club would swap their travel load with ours (if that was possible).

Either way I'm not too fussed. I was just explaining the argument not advocating for it.

I don't think your club would swap their travel load with ours (if that was possible).

Either way I'm not too fussed. I was just explaining the argument not advocating for it.
Let's hope for a good game
They scare the s**t out of you on the open road. Especially early morning. They eat roadkill and seem to use oncoming cars to get lift. Pretty scary when it suddenly goes dark as they spread their wings in front of the windscreen. Never hit one or heard of anyone hitting one though.

I have to agree with the WA posters that it makes least sense to bring a WA team to rural NSW from the travel perspective - a Victorian team would have been better IMHO - although I think they've made it work as best as they can by chartering a flight which presumably would be no worse than flying directly into Canberra etc.

Still, it is what it is, and happy to see the teams on the park. Both are pretty junior with lots of noticeable absences, so not much to be taken from this game in a team sense but plenty of opportunities for individuals. Very interested to see how the 2016 draftees stack up in their first outing - should be relatively comfortable in a very 'home' atmosphere for the GWS crop - as well as having a look at the progress of other young kids such as Kennedy, Flynn etc.

Really looking forward to watch Taranto play. Played with him at Mordi-Brae from U9s-12s and not surprisingly he played a year ahead of his age in that time and I assume later on as well. In the years I played with him, he pretty much played the same position as he does now as a mid/forward. IIRC, I don't think he won a B&F during that time but he was always one of our best 4-5 players. We know he's a terrific mark for his size and I can say that when I played with him, he was the best pure mark in our team as he relied on his ability to read the flight of the ball rather than just use his body strength.

Other than Taranto, looking forward to seeing the other younger players from both sides as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back