Game Day JLT - Carlton v St Kilda Gameday Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

does something a little silly at times too

I saw one passage that looked like a big error which resulted in a goal, where he tried to switch play and it was intercepted. But the pass was bullet like and could have been great- it just got intercepted.he also got coralled a bit by the saints player I am ok with him trying things in a creative way. It showed confidence . I would rather that than Liam hesitating and allowing the opposition to take possession through a free kick etc

I saw one passage that looked like a big error which resulted in a goal, where he tried to switch play and it was intercepted. But the pass was bullet like and could have been great- it just got intercepted.he also got coralled a bit by the saints player I am ok with him trying things in a creative way. It showed confidence . I would rather that than Liam hesitating and allowing the opposition to take possession through a free kick etc
Agreed

I put that one down to cobwebs

There were 2 big clangers from Jones.

That one and also he tried to mark in a pack when he didn't have a good run at it and mccartin marked. He was absolutely robbed about 10 seconds before in a marking contest where he should have won a free.

He's a gun though, you can just tell when he's positioned correctly that the ball is his before the opposition even kick it into the 50.

Probably the most popular player interms of cheers at the ground. It's a bit like how Wiggins was so maligned early then loved once he became decent.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you watch the match replay ( like I did 2X :oops:) you will note that the kick to Marchbank off his left foot on a quick turnaround is standard positional play for the backs. It was executed a couple of times previously and I think the St Kilda player who (just) intercepted it on that occasion actually made good ground to position himself for exactly that play - it was a very close thing and only made possible by a less than perfect kick from Jones. Otherwise it was a rinse and repeat easy exit and we were off (again) in clear space.

I agree it showed confidence - whilst Jones's intercept marking and contested marking continues to improve- his kicking was a revelation to me in that game - very accurate and penetrating even under some pressure.

There were 2 big clangers from Jones.

That one and also he tried to mark in a pack when he didn't have a good run at it and mccartin marked. He was absolutely robbed about 10 seconds before in a marking contest where he should have won a free.

He's a gun though, you can just tell when he's positioned correctly that the ball is his before the opposition even kick it into the 50.

Probably the most popular player interms of cheers at the ground. It's a bit like how Wiggins was so maligned early then loved once he became decent.

And i just remembered the play where he went to punch the ball and it went straight down the throat of a saints player for a goal

Cringe worthy but all forgiven

If you watch the match replay ( like I did 2X :oops:) you will note that the kick to Marchbank off his left foot on a quick turnaround is standard positional play for the backs. It was executed a couple of times previously and I think the St Kilda player who (just) intercepted it on that occasion actually made good ground to position himself for exactly that play - it was a very close thing and only made possible by a less than perfect kick from Jones. Otherwise it was a rinse and repeat easy exit and we were off (again) in clear space.

I agree it showed confidence - whilst Jones's intercept marking and contested marking continues to improve- his kicking was a revelation to me in that game - very accurate and penetrating even under some pressure.

His kicking has been surprisingly good ever since he moved to the backline...i remember he was delivering bullet passes out of defence last year as well.

He's actually a good field kick, maybe just a bad kick for goal. Wouldn't be the first.

And i just remembered the play where he went to punch the ball and it went straight down the throat of a saints player for a goal

Didn't do much wrong there though - went up in a big pack to spoil, was able to get a fist in, but caught it with the front of his hand rather than the full fist and a Saints player was simply very well positioned at the front of the pack. Couldn't have marked, had to go, just didn't flush the spoil. Sometimes you just have to give credit to an opposition player for being in a good spot.

A bit of an aside.... has anyone heard an update on Garlett’s injury? I really liked the glimpses I saw. I’m hoping it’s minor but the silence could be ominous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of an aside.... has anyone heard an update on Garlett’s injury? I really liked the glimpses I saw. I’m hoping it’s minor but the silence could be ominous
It is a bit of a worry. Didnt look like he was in any discomfort when he walked off so we will have to wait on the scan results.

Saw him today at a blues player sponsor breakfast, asked him how his shoulder was & he said fine. No strapping or sling or anything. Told him then to go have a teaspoon of cement & harden the **** up the next time he near dislocates a shoulder & not flop around on the boundary. Took my advice....

Saw him today at a blues player sponsor breakfast, asked him how his shoulder was & he said fine. No strapping or sling or anything. Told him then to go have a teaspoon of cement & harden the **** up the next time he near dislocates a shoulder & not flop around on the boundary. Took my advice....
Did this last bit happen before or after he dropped you? And did he help you back up again, or was his shoulder still a bit sore?:D

I'm going to get smashed here and I know it but I'm not seeing what the big deal about Harry McKay is, sure he's had his injury set-backs but this will be his 3rd year.

I've watched him play live several times now, mainly with the Northern Blues and in JLT games and he looks like he's not interested unless the game is going his way. Last year against the Saints he was truly horrible, it really annoyed me at the time. He just loped around and is a chance at clunking it if it comes to him... nothing I've seen since outside a rare glimpse has changed my mind.

So, over to you my Carlton loving friends tell me why I'm wrong.

By the way, I sincerely hope I'm very very wrong and will humbly eat my words...

I'm going to get smashed here and I know it but I'm not seeing what the big deal about Harry McKay is, sure he's had his injury set-backs but this will be his 3rd year.

I've watched him play live several times now, mainly with the Northern Blues and in JLT games and he looks like he's not interested unless the game is going his way. Last year against the Saints he was truly horrible, it really annoyed me at the time. He just loped around and is a chance at clunking it if it comes to him... nothing I've seen since outside a rare glimpse has changed my mind.

By the way, I sincerely hope I'm very very wrong and will humbly eat my words...
You may well be right but the point is he’s a tall and quite tall at that. They take quite a while to come on. This season will tell us more but still isn’t the be all or end all for big H. Needs continuity and confidence etc before we should make our minds up.

Big H is the biggest question mark on the list imo, the range between what he could be spans from disappointing delistee to elite kpf/ruck. Shown some amazing glimpses, but really small sample size as yet. Competitive, very mobile and good hands, hopefully this year his trajectory hits the upward curve.

His kicking has been surprisingly good ever since he moved to the backline...i remember he was delivering bullet passes out of defence last year as well.

He's actually a good field kick, maybe just a bad kick for goal. Wouldn't be the first.

That's it! Cas to FB!

Big H is the biggest question mark on the list imo, the range between what he could be spans from disappointing delistee to elite kpf/ruck. Shown some amazing glimpses, but really small sample size as yet. Competitive, very mobile and good hands, hopefully this year his trajectory hits the upward curve.

Had some s**t luck with injuries (stress fractures in back).... still ongoing?? (Turf Toe). He is, on his draft year, 18 months behind the eightball of his like for like peers. Have faith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back