Game Day JLT - Carlton v St Kilda Gameday Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Had some s**t luck with injuries (stress fractures in back).... still ongoing?? (Turf Toe). He is, on his draft year, 18 months behind the eightball of his like for like peers. Have faith.

Hope is a better word than faith on this occasion. H is an exciting prospect, but always keep in mind they can't all work out the way we'd like. Here's hoping for some upward curve this year and a full season on the park :thumbsu:

Hope is a better word than faith on this occasion. H is an exciting prospect, but always keep in mind they can't all work out the way we'd like. Here's hoping for some upward curve this year and a full season on the park :thumbsu:

No guarantees, but expect, giving the faith the footy department has shown in him so far .... they see plenty we do not.

Big H is the biggest question mark on the list imo, the range between what he could be spans from disappointing delistee to elite kpf/ruck. Shown some amazing glimpses, but really small sample size as yet. Competitive, very mobile and good hands, hopefully this year his trajectory hits the upward curve.
Aside from being close to the youngest player in his draft, VFL can be a wasteland for young forwards with the lower skill level and slower ball movement.

While he didn’t really earn it H’s performance in the first half against BLs showed the talent is there.

Last edited:

Aside from being close to the youngest player in his draft, VFL can be a wasteland for young forwards with the lower skill level and slower ball movement.

While he did really earn it H’s performance in the first half against BLs showed the talent is there.

He's not lacking in the talent department that's for sure. My question marks probably stem from whether the body gives him a consistent run at it. Fingers crossed.

Like Cuningham, we want Mckay to show something this season. Cameo 5-10 mins in a game isn't enough to warrant a best 22 spot.

Would be great to have a key fwd who can kick straight.

Crossing everything he breaks open a bit more in this second JLT game.

Big H is the biggest question mark on the list imo, the range between what he could be spans from disappointing delistee to elite kpf/ruck. Shown some amazing glimpses, but really small sample size as yet. Competitive, very mobile and good hands, hopefully this year his trajectory hits the upward curve.
Think he needs a good run at AFL to show himself, and Bolts, if he has what it takes to learn and grow. He's been a bit sulky in the two's and sometimes, at the risk of rewarding that behaviour, there are some who need a spot before they fully deserve it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As long as he continues to lead up hard and present options in the forward 50, whilst making a contest or clunking a few when there, I'll be happy. I am a little not sold yet on his set shots though, seems more of a flashy instinct player atm.

Plenty of time for Big H though, Christ, we have persisted with Levi, and he came off career best form last year. If we can get Levi and H mac to average 2 goals a game I would be stoked.

Does anyone else think his mindset and application during games is an issue? Genuinely would like to know whether people who have watched him play a fair bit think that's the case.

I don't see it as a concern, but can understand how his demeanor comes across. He certainly has an interesting character, one that seems a little aloof at times.

But he is competative and aggressive

I don't see it as a concern, but can understand how his demeanor comes across. He certainly has an interesting character, one that seems a little aloof at times.

But he is competative and aggressive
He comes across as somewhat quirky, as evidenced by some of his work on Twitter, but there is no question that he is competitive & certainly does have some aggression in his game.

Does anyone else think his mindset and application during games is an issue? Genuinely would like to know whether people who have watched him play a fair bit think that's the case.
I think he is internally very confident in himself mixed with a funny sense of humour. I think he will be very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he is internally very confident in himself mixed with a funny sense of humour. I think he will be very good.

Luke Mitchell (KPF) drafted in 2010 seemed confident. Hopefully Mckay is confident in his footballing ability and not just the fact that he is bigger than all his peers.

I'm going to get smashed here and I know it but I'm not seeing what the big deal about Harry McKay is, sure he's had his injury set-backs but this will be his 3rd year.

I've watched him play live several times now, mainly with the Northern Blues and in JLT games and he looks like he's not interested unless the game is going his way. Last year against the Saints he was truly horrible, it really annoyed me at the time. He just loped around and is a chance at clunking it if it comes to him... nothing I've seen since outside a rare glimpse has changed my mind.

So, over to you my Carlton loving friends tell me why I'm wrong.

By the way, I sincerely hope I'm very very wrong and will humbly eat my words...
Key position players take longer.
He chases and tackles.
He outmarked Casboult so that’s pretty good going.
Probably upped to 75% game time this season.

He chases and tackles.
The very thing that will allow us to play three talls, as the game tends to small harassing forward
lines. Harry, Charlie, Jack, with Crippa, Bam Bam and Kreuze rotating through, all chase and tackle.
De Koning played as a ruck/mid/forward in juniors, with mobility and disposal bordering on elite as
the next generation. Don't expect us to follow trends any time soon.

The very thing that will allow us to play three talls, as the game tends to small harassing forward
lines. Harry, Charlie, Jack, with Crippa, Bam Bam and Kreuze rotating through, all chase and tackle.
De Koning played as a ruck/mid/forward in juniors, with mobility and disposal bordering on elite as
the next generation. Don't expect us to follow trends any time soon.

We have a completely different list complexion to Bitchmond and we should not be modelling our playing style or adopting a playing style based on another team and their specific list nuances.

We need to stamp a mark of our own and own it as CFC. Copycats rarely work because unless you do something miraculously better than the one you are are copying you are merely coming second in the race.

Three pillars up foward with 10-12 mids that can rotate/rest through the middle/half forward line will create headaches for many many teams. And talls dont get smaller in the 4th quarter. Put to this, not many teams have 3 x top flight tall KPD's so the ability to expose and use this will ultimately see how our scoreboard line sits this year.

He chases and tackles.
I have a dream he becomes our version of Joel Embiid from the NBAs 76ers. Was part of 'the process' (bottoming out), restricted game time for 2 years because of injury, then this year burst on to the scene to be an all-star and possible best big man in the league.

I think Harry has the right levels of determination to make it, more and more glimpses will come this year, then next year will be his time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back