Review JLT Community NAB Ansett Wizard Cup Series Game 1: Essendon v Collingwood, 16/2, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Yehp was a pure stopper which you could be 5+ years ago. Slowly over this time he's had to add more dimensions to his game that being able to drift off take marks as the 3rd tall coming in or spoil but more importantly provide run and rebound whilst hitting a target. Ideally you want every player in the back 6 to have that ability.

That's where the modern game is.

Tell that to Hamling Grand Final day, a pure stopper or a tagger are still valuable players if you have the right balance elsewhere.

Mcgrath fairly composed so far and making good decisions. Hopefully we get to see him kick it a few more times.

Most of there goals have come from our defensive turnovers but i can't recall any that we've profited from.

Tidy up that bit and we should win.

Actually it's the opposite - EFC have got goals from turnovers compared to turnovers - Collingwood getting goals from stoppages.

Collinwood got over half their goals from stoppages - This area needs further work.

Off the top of my head it has been a weakness of ours for many years. Especially at one stage it was at the point where if a team had a throw in or ball up in their attacking 50m it would be a goal 9/10 times.

Interesting that they say they didn't play to any of their strategies. hopefully that cools some sky is falling thoughts

Tell that to Hamling Grand Final day, a pure stopper or a tagger are still valuable players if you have the right balance elsewhere.

Hamlings far more than a stopper

But im also not saying that a pure stopper isnt valuable in the backline. Just dont think they should be Pigeon holed as such. Why not develop players, ask more, why limit ?

OK, so is the impression we switched off after 3/4 time... or that Collingwood outplayed us in the last?

I would like to have hoped we switched off, as our new game plan is going to call for plenty of petrol tickets from all on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamlings far more than a stopper

But im also not saying that a pure stopper isnt valuable in the backline. Just dont think they should be Pigeon holed as such. Why not develop players, ask more, why limit ?

Not really, he has a decent intercept game but he only averages 10 possessions and goes mostly laterally with them. He is the anchor point to balance Wood, Murphy, Boyd and JJ's offensive games around.

Always look to improve sure, but often a few playing limited roles makes a team more effective and gives you greater scope with other roles.

Knights era 2.0 expect this time we add thing called defending.

Thought we defended quite poorly at times yesterday. There was two passages of play that Kelly found himself on Mason Cox twice in the space of 5 minutes. I think communication is the key area that needs to improve, we seriously lacked that at times last year. Having said that I did think Dea, Gleeson & Kelly had good games. Ambrose as well, despite knocking the block off two Collingwood players that resulted in goals.

Thought we defended quite poorly at times yesterday. There was two passages of play that Kelly found himself on Mason Cox twice in the space of 5 minutes. I think communication is the key area that needs to improve, we seriously lacked that at times last year. Having said that I did think Dea, Gleeson & Kelly had good games. Ambrose as well, despite knocking the block off two Collingwood players that resulted in goals.

Felt Collingwood out numbered us at every contest too.

Mate he gave away two free kicks in his first hit out for the season. McGrath also gave two and Goddard three, should we move them on? His defending of one of the best up and coming key forwards WAS excellent. You see the two free kicks but you don't take notice of the four times that Brown is twenty metres away from his man who marks uncontested.... Ambrose NEVER does that. I'd rather a sloppy free kick in a contest than an uncontested mark to the opposition any day!
Wow, just wow.
That is a massive rant and a whole lot of nonsense. All I said was, Ambrose gave away a couple of very simple frees (which he did) leading to shots on goal, therefore was not excellent. Given his only role is as a stopper and nothing else, that is not excellent.
You're inferring that I'm suggesting we move Ambrose on!?... get a grip mate, I only said he wasn't excellent, but not a big deal because it's only February.
You've gone on a big tangent about me apparently overlooking Brown's errors in comparison !? I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion given the only comment I've made about Brown's game is that he was poor?
It's obviously been a long week, perhaps have yourself a hot bath.

Off the top of my head it has been a weakness of ours for many years. Especially at one stage it was at the point where if a team had a throw in or ball up in their attacking 50m it would be a goal 9/10 times.

I don't think it was a big issue when we had Ryder and Watson in the middle. But we haven't had that for a few years.

Now with Luenberger, Watson, Heppell Zerrett etc I'm sure we will see improvement.

Previous 2 years with unfit TBC and McKernan in the ruck I think when there was a stoppage inside D50 it ended up in a free against 9/10 times. The most frustrating infringement is a ruck free there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back