Opinion Joe Daniher missing a final to attend the birth of his child

Remove this Banner Ad

My very non PC opinion is this is ridiculous. You're a man. You're doing nothing useful. The baby will be no different if you get there 2 hours after it is born. I am assuming his wife is not a social outcast? She has close family and friends? She wouldn't be alone for it. This idea that the father has to be there even if it means he misses out on a huge professional achievement is just so irrational.

I support equality in general when it makes sense. But society expecting the man to go there, sit there, do nothing uniquely useful, and miss out on a final, it's just laughable.
Equality?

Isn't it about being a good father and husband who puts their family first? Somebody who doesn't see parenting as a financial transaction?

I mean I expect people who bring children into the world to actually want them, to be there for them, to actually care about them.

I find it irrational to judge your success on your career achievements rather than your genetic legacy.

Nothing to do with equality.

My very non PC opinion is this is ridiculous. You're a man. You're doing nothing useful. The baby will be no different if you get there 2 hours after it is born. I am assuming his wife is not a social outcast? She has close family and friends? She wouldn't be alone for it. This idea that the father has to be there even if it means he misses out on a huge professional achievement is just so irrational.

I support equality in general when it makes sense. But society expecting the man to go there, sit there, do nothing uniquely useful, and miss out on a final, it's just laughable.
There was quite a few things I needed to make a decison on as my wife couldn't answer due to how the labor developed.

The kid wasn't different after two hours, I knew this because I was the one holding it - while my wife was off getting immediate stitches. If I wasn't there then the kid would have spent the first few hours alone.

So got to say I'm disagreeing with you not because I'm PC, but because unfortunately I did have to be 'useful' despite being a man.

Thank you for some common sense.

My wife fainted 15 minutes after the birth of my daughter due to blood loss. She was stabilised quickly but on her fainting, my daughter’s skin-to-skin time with my wife became skin-to-skin time with me while my wife’s bleeding was controlled and for about an hour afterwards while she got some strength back.

Yes a nurse or another family member could ostensibly have done this, but developmentally these very first hours are more important than previously thought.

So no, it’s not useless to be there at all.

To be crude, if you put the baby in there in the first place, you should see it out too.

*noting that some people have particular circumstances like the poster who noted their three older children they might make it a genuine practical consideration.

How very out of touch of you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is everyone's thoughts about this ?

My own personal opinion is it should be up to the player to decide (with no pressure from the coach or club)

I would have played myself personally if I was in JD's position given its a cut throat final/loser goes out, but I am not a Father/parent and not aware of the immense obligations and commitment it must take to be one.

I just hope Brisbane fans don't turn on him if the Lions lose by a narrow margin tonight. He was put in a literal can't win situation either way.
He made the right choice, in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back