Opinion Joe Daniher missing a final to attend the birth of his child

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
What is everyone's thoughts about this ?

My own personal opinion is it should be up to the player to decide (with no pressure from the coach or club)

I would have played myself personally if I was in JD's position given its a cut throat final/loser goes out, but I am not a Father/parent and not aware of the immense obligations and commitment it must take to be one.

I just hope Brisbane fans don't turn on him if the Lions lose by a narrow margin tonight. He was put in a literal can't win situation either way.

Bradshaw all over again!

Reminds me of Leigh Matthews who was then coach of the Lions telling the players not to have sex in December! 🤣

I can really see both sides of the argument here. A person in the Navy does not get the option to go home mid deployment because their wife is having a baby, that person knowing what they signed up for but at the same time football is not the military, it is a sport, and seeing your child being born and being threre for your wife are important too.

Wouldn't do it myself - he's paid big money to front up for the Lions and owes them I reckon.

Only the death of a wife or child is excuse for this otherwise I reckon he plays.

Respect that its his choice and respect the club for allowing it - just wouldn't do it myself (but I'm an old fossil).

Bradshaw all over again!

Reminds me of Leigh Matthews who was then coach of the Lions telling the players not to have sex in December! 🤣

Well they can, but just make sure they use protection !

Later on, Lethal and Bradshaw had a massive falling out which resulted in him joining the Swans, I have often wondered if some of that conflict stemmed from Bradshaw missing that final to attend the birth of his child.

Well they can, but just make sure they use protection !

Later on, Lethal and Bradshaw had a massive falling out which resulted in him joining the Swans, I have often wondered if some of that conflict stemmed from Bradshaw missing that final to attend the birth of his child.

Yeah, nothing to do with Voss trying to ship him off to Carlton for Fevola.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think it's not that difficult to keep September clear of these sorts of things...
jeff goldblum life finds a way GIF

Wouldn't do it myself - he's paid big money to front up for the Lions and owes them I reckon.

Only the death of a wife or child is excuse for this otherwise I reckon he plays.

Respect that its his choice and respect the club for allowing it - just wouldn't do it myself (but I'm an old fossil).

I've not actually had kids myself but I've just seen my best mates partner go through a pretty difficult birth. I can understand him wanting to be there for it.

It's just a game of football he's missing. No big deal if it cost Brissie the game.
I'm sure all supporters all understand and accept it

His partner couldn't have gone into labour last week???

Having had 2 kids now in my fifties, totally understand wanting to be there. There are some memories you'll take to the grave. A semi is not one of them. Good luck to him and his partner.

Well if they lose by a very narrow margin hes probably given up the teams whole season to attend. Most people seem accepting of this these days though so i assume nearly all players in the league would do the same.

He’s made mates for life at two clubs. The blokes at the club he’s at right now wouldn’t give a s**t if he plays tonight. If anything they’d wanna see their mate have a healthy baby and win for Daniher.

I can really see both sides of the argument here. A person in the Navy does not get the option to go home mid deployment because their wife is having a baby, that person knowing what they signed up for but at the same time football is not the military, it is a sport, and seeing your child being born and being threre for your wife are important too.
Actually I'm not sure, people get sent home from overseas deployment for the birth of their children constantly. Not 100% on the navy but likely they wouldn't even go if they couldn't get home.
But in Joe's case he may never get a chance for a premiership ever again, and apparently that's all most players play for. I wonder what his choice would be if it was GF week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back