Opinion Joe Daniher missing a final to attend the birth of his child

Remove this Banner Ad

A godsend for the Brisbane Football Club. His decision got them into a prelim.

Birth is not a serious medical procedure. It’s the most natural thing in the world. The female body was designed to carry and nourish a baby and then to give birth. That’s it’s whole point.

Doctors with their interventions turn it into a medical procedure. But most labouring women will deliver naturally, needing no medical interventions at all.

I was wondering where you got this “serious medical procedure” idea from and then you mentioned your partner was a doctor. Bingo!

On a side note: a Caesarean is major abdominal surgery. Never done through keyhole surgery (obviously), often done when the mother-to-be is exhausted from labouring and/or in the midst of a medical emergency, and then the woman is given a brand new baby to look after while she recovers.

So if you hear anyone recommending a caesarean is the way to go, remember natural birth is best every time, and a caesarean should be a last resort.

As for being at the birth of your child vs a footy match: when you die and the wording on your head stone is being decided, do you want it to say, excellent worker, paid very well, kept his family in luxury OR loving father, husband, brother, son, friend, will be dearly missed etc?

It’s human relationships that are important. Not your job, or money, or travel, or lifestyle.

Family and friends. If you don’t have them, you’ve got nothing.
Seems like you’ve given birth a few times.

Thanks for sharing.

But he doesn't need to be out there doing his job.

Thats the point. In this day and age, unless you're in the military, no employer would force you to miss the birth of a child.

To miss it, you'd literally have to decide that work is more important than your family.

Seems reasonable grounds for considering divorce, to be honest.
I don’t necessarily disagree, however, his only job is to help the club deliver a premiership for which he is paid very well to do. It’s not a H&A game.
He made the decision to not do that.
Maybe he thought they were no chance?
Maybe he could have planned it better?

I don’t necessarily disagree, however, his only job is to help the club deliver a premiership for which he is paid very well to do. It’s not a H&A game.
He made the decision to not do that.
Maybe he thought they were no chance?
Maybe he could have planned it better?
Maybe the club supports whatever decision he was entitled to make?

Being a sporting professional is such an irrelevant profession that it would be irresponsible for a first time father to miss the birth of their child simply to kick a ball around.

If pretty much every other profession can manage it, professional sports people should be able to do do as well, without being judged.

Before I came a Dad I probably would have thought I would play if I was in that situation.

Much harder decision now. It's not even about the Dad being there to experience it. Women really, really need their partner their for support. It's a huge and traumatic event.

Birth is not a serious medical procedure. It’s the most natural thing in the world. The female body was designed to carry and nourish a baby and then to give birth. That’s it’s whole point.

In the history of mankind, have there been more deaths of men in war, or women in childbirth?

It’s the latter, and it’s not even close.

In the history of mankind, have there been more deaths of men in war, or women in childbirth?

It’s the latter, and it’s not even close.

Willing to bet women in childbirth as up until about 100 years ago childbirth was very dangerous for women, and most women went through it at some point in their lives. War though, for all its destruction is not a constant thing and I would say majority of men throughout history have not actually been to war.

At the end of the day, Joe Daniher is paid the big bucks for games such as these. When he had sex in December, he would have known the risks. The onus is on him to avoid this predicament. If we lost on Friday, the heat on Daniher would have been very fair- end of story.

Well it should give some inspiration for some on field banter.

Congrats, they gave your baby BOG for keeping out of the game.

It's a girl! Congrats, hope she doesn't have your looks.

:laughv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doctors with their interventions turn it into a medical procedure. But most labouring women will deliver naturally, needing no medical interventions at all.

I was wondering where you got this “serious medical procedure” idea from and then you mentioned your partner was a doctor. Bingo!

On a side note: a Caesarean is major abdominal surgery. Never done through keyhole surgery (obviously), often done when the mother-to-be is exhausted from labouring and/or in the midst of a medical emergency, and then the woman is given a brand new baby to look after while she recovers.

So if you hear anyone recommending a caesarean is the way to go, remember natural birth is best every time, and a caesarean should be a last resort.

As for being at the birth of your child vs a footy match: when you die and the wording on your head stone is being decided, do you want it to say, excellent worker, paid very well, kept his family in luxury OR loving father, husband, brother, son, friend, will be dearly missed etc?

It’s human relationships that are important. Not your job, or money, or travel, or lifestyle.

Prior to modern medical intervention at least 1% of women died in child birth. The death rate increases when you consider the infant.

That equates to a serious medical procedure you goop.

At the end of the day, Joe Daniher is paid the big bucks for games such as these. When he had sex in December, he would have known the risks. The onus is on him to avoid this predicament. If we lost on Friday, the heat on Daniher would have been very fair- end of story.
It is crazy isn't it? I don't agree with people saying it's a normal job. It's a very short-term career in a multi-billion dollar industry and September availability is the most critical aspect. Can be the difference between you and your team mates being hugely marketable immortals for life or just also-rans. Due care surely needs to be taken to give yourself the best chance of being available in that month IMO. Plenty of occupations require sacrifices and being careful in December each year is not too much to ask. As soon as his missus went into labour, he really had no choice, gotta be there.

Personal decision between the couple themselves but i don’t see an issue with him missing the game.

Women and babies still die during childbirth. The assumption that the birth of a baby is straightforward, and therefore a professional sportsperson should just ‘miss it’ because they are paid a lot pf $$$ to play, is a flawed one. Be pretty traumatic for all involved if something did go wrong and they weren’t there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I even went to the trouble of providing the historical context of test cricketers meeting their children at four months old after an Ashes tour, but it didn't seem to help. I thought she was going to bust out the Dikembe Mutombo finger wave at one point.
Not judging, but the whole conversation was obviously a school boy error..!

I just couldn't imagine informing my wife, when she went into labour with either of our two boys, that I was tied up in meetings all day so probably won't get to hospital until sometime tonight..!!! If I had, a fair chance those boys would of grown up without a father in the house..!

I actually can't beleive this is a topic of plausible debate; Family first - the end..!
An Astronout heading to the International space station is about the only exception I can think of and even then surely NASA could delay the launch by a week...

Last edited:
It is crazy isn't it? I don't agree with people saying it's a normal job. It's a very short-term career in a multi-billion dollar industry and September availability is the most critical aspect. Can be the difference between you and your team mates being hugely marketable immortals for life or just also-rans. Due care surely needs to be taken to give yourself the best chance of being available in that month IMO. Plenty of occupations require sacrifices and being careful in December each year is not too much to ask. As soon as his missus went into labour, he really had no choice, gotta be there.
If we are talking about just
Personal decision between the couple themselves but i don’t see an issue with him missing the game.

Women and babies still die during childbirth. The assumption that the birth of a baby is straightforward, and therefore a professional sportsperson should just ‘miss it’ because they are paid a lot pf $$$ to play, is a flawed one. Be pretty traumatic for all involved if something did go wrong and they weren’t there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah a friend of mine had a really traumatic birth c/o a third degree tear. The amount of blood lost in postpartum haemorrhages is horrific too

There's boredom, there's tiredness, there are laughs, there are tears, there are screams, there's blood, there is the whole works.
I know how you feel I've fathered a couple of kids, I dont think my wife found it easy either.

What if the wording on the headstone was “Doctors recommendation of a caesarean was ignored because nature is nature”

I had to read Onus twice.. I thought you were going to give some other advice

Where was this thread when Duryea missed a week earlier, or is it only an issue if you're on an above average salary?

I find it incredibly naive to think he 1. should have missed the birth of his first child for his job and 2. he should have timed the pregnancy so it didn't get in the way of his job. As if pregnancy is just one of those simple things as easy as flicking a switch for everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back