Scandal Joel Smith (Melbourne): Cocaine trafficking accusation

Remove this Banner Ad

Trafficking Accusation:

MFC and AFL Statements:

Melbourne Football Club Media Statement – Joel Smith

The Melbourne Football Club has been advised by the AFL that further Anti-Doping Rule Violations have been asserted against Joel Smith by Sport Integrity Australia.

The Melbourne Football Club is not authorised to make public comment while this is an ongoing matter that is being investigated by Sport Integrity Australia.

It should be noted since the article has been published on the Herald Sun website, Joel’s management has contacted the Club on his behalf to advise that the comments made by the source within the article are not reflective of Joel’s views and the source is not speaking on any authority from Joel.

Joel has made it very clear that he has no issues or concerns with anyone at the Melbourne Football Club.

As the Club has previously stated, we will wait for the investigation to be completed before we update our supporters further.

AFL STATEMENT – JOEL SMITH

The AFL confirms that further Anti-Doping Rule Violations (ADRVs) have been asserted against Joel Smith of the Melbourne Football Club under the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code.

Sport Integrity Australia (SIA) has notified Smith that three ADRVs for “Trafficking or Attempted Trafficking” of Cocaine to third parties are asserted against him.

Under the Code, Trafficking in an anti-doping context is relevantly defined to be “Selling, giving, transporting, sending, delivering or distributing a Prohibited Substance, by an Athlete … to any third party [but] shall not include actions involving Prohibited Substances which are not prohibited in Out-of-Competition Testing unless the circumstances as a whole demonstrate such Prohibited Substances are not intended for genuine and legal therapeutic purposes or are intended to enhance sport performance” (Article 1 of the Code).

Further, SIA has notified Smith that an ADRV for Possession of a Prohibited Substance (Cocaine) on 9 September 2022 is asserted against him.

These ADRVs are in addition to that previously asserted against him (in connection with a sample provided by him after the match between Melbourne and Hawthorn on 20 August 2023 which tested positive to Cocaine and its metabolite, Benzoylecgonine).

Smith will continue to be provisionally suspended pending the finalisation of all of these matters, meaning he is not permitted to be part of Melbourne’s football program, including Melbourne’s pre-season training that is currently underway.

Under the Code, the new asserted ADRVs will be further investigated by SIA and these matters may ultimately be heard by an AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal in the coming months.

Due to the ongoing nature of the anti-doping process, the AFL and SIA are unable to make any further comment at this time.

Last edited:

No dude you thought I was serious hahaha, that’s wild

This dude really thought I was buying camera equipment to catch afl players doing drugs wowzers
I really don't think you're going to buy equipment to film football players doing drugs. Dude. Really.

Now you really are being stupid.

Expect for winning the first 10 games of 2022?

They had a very easy draw at the start of 22, probably the worst thing that could happen to them. Flag and then 10 straight wins thanks to playing dud teams giving everyone big heads. Then they started losing games when they played better teams.

Is an interesting one, this. NBA has no interest in WADA yet the FIBA & Olympic competitions have NBA players competing in all international tournaments.

Because 98% of the players would be suspended for having marijuana in their system on game day.

Robbo's Boss: It's day ten of the new year Robbo and you have come up with eff all, nothing, nada, not a skerrit. When are you going to start work in '24?
Robbo: C'mon mate, I'm just polishing off half a dozen South Melbourne Dimmy's for morning tea and just warming up. Do you want one?
Robbo's Boss: If you haven't filed by 4pm and sent it to the social team, the only job will be selling dimmys you don't eat.
Robbo: Checks last filed new story (Oct 2023) and files an uneducated reprise story on Smith and gets back to the Dimbos

Seriously, just click bait from a piss poor persistent performer.

Why is his old man so quiet? He was quite vocal when getting involved in the Maynard/Brayshaw collision when he had nothing to do with that. Yet he’s so quiet on this….
...and remember when Smith senior said May & Melksham punching each other in the head was just "boys being boys".. but couldn't keep his mouth shut in the media after the Maynard/Brayshaw incident & repeatedly called Bruzzy a thug.

Hypocrite.

2 years for cocaine feels a bit harsh but 2 years for being a moron who was on very good money and knew he would get in trouble for taking cocaine feels about right.
Sam Murray got 18 months for exactly the same. So unless there has been some sentencing change since 2018, I’d expect something similar.

2 years for cocaine feels a bit harsh but 2 years for being a moron who was on very good money and knew he would get in trouble for taking cocaine feels about right.

Ahmed Saad got banned for 18 months after drinking an off the shelf sports drink on game day.

Cocaine on game day is arguably magnitudes worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Increase or decrease?
It's some language worded in a way that suggests that if the substance is found to not be attributed to performance enhancing outcomes then the penalty will be far more lenient

I can't remember where I read that exactly, I've posted it in this thread before but I can't be bothered digging it up right now sorry. You can have a google if you're interested it is out there on a gov.au page I believe.

It's some language worded in a way that suggests that if the substance is found to not be attributed to performance enhancing outcomes then the penalty will be far more lenient

I can't remember where I read that exactly, I've posted it in this thread before but I can't be bothered digging it up right now sorry. You can have a google if you're interested it is out there on a gov.au page I believe.
Whoever dreams these regulations up must know that all it does is introduce grey areas. Oh, well, it gives the lawyers something to argue about and fund their next skiing holiday to Aspen...

Maybe he ate some bad steaks in China like Josh Thomas. We shouldn’t cast aspersions until he has had a chance to tell his story.

Maybe he ate some bad steaks in China like Josh Thomas. We shouldn’t cast aspersions until he has had a chance to tell his story.
And both Josh & Keefe copped a 2 year ban & admitted taking illicit drugs in the off season.

Keeffe, 25, and Thomas, 23, yesterday admitted using illicit drugs in February, which they believed were laced with clenbuterol, a steroid on the World Anti-Doping Agency prohibited list.

* I think you're referring to steak they ate in NZ, not China, where clenbuterol has been found in meat. 'The drug has at times been found in meat from China and Mexico.In 2012, Spanish professional cyclist Alberto Contador was stripped of his victories in the 2010 Tour de France, the 2011 Giro d'Italia and a raft of other races after clenbuterol was found in his system. He claimed clenbuterol in his body was the result of eating contaminated Spanish beef.'

Last edited:
And both Josh & Keefe copped a 2 year ban & admitted taking illicit drugs in the off season.

Keeffe, 25, and Thomas, 23, yesterday admitted using illicit drugs in February, which they believed were laced with clenbuterol, a steroid on the World Anti-Doping Agency prohibited list.

* I think you're referring to steak they ate in NZ, not China, where clenbuterol has been found in meat. 'The drug has at times been found in meat from China and Mexico.In 2012, Spanish professional cyclist Alberto Contador was stripped of his victories in the 2010 Tour de France, the 2011 Giro d'Italia and a raft of other races after clenbuterol was found in his system. He claimed clenbuterol in his body was the result of eating contaminated Spanish beef.'

Thank you for this important information

meat GIF

Contaminated meat……FFS are people really that gullible.

Could happen to anyone. I always make sure I ask my butcher for a cut of steak which is grass fed and hasn’t been infused with the same chemicals they cut cocaine with. It’s just smart business. Unfortunately Joel may have not known to ask his local butcher when buying his steaks.

Could happen to anyone. I always make sure I ask my butcher for a cut of steak which is grass fed and hasn’t been infused with the same chemicals they cut cocaine with. It’s just smart business. Unfortunately Joel may have not known to ask his local butcher when buying his steaks.
Honest mistake really

Remove this Banner Ad

Back