Scandal Joel Smith (Melbourne): Cocaine trafficking accusation

Remove this Banner Ad

Trafficking Accusation:

MFC and AFL Statements:

Melbourne Football Club Media Statement – Joel Smith

The Melbourne Football Club has been advised by the AFL that further Anti-Doping Rule Violations have been asserted against Joel Smith by Sport Integrity Australia.

The Melbourne Football Club is not authorised to make public comment while this is an ongoing matter that is being investigated by Sport Integrity Australia.

It should be noted since the article has been published on the Herald Sun website, Joel’s management has contacted the Club on his behalf to advise that the comments made by the source within the article are not reflective of Joel’s views and the source is not speaking on any authority from Joel.

Joel has made it very clear that he has no issues or concerns with anyone at the Melbourne Football Club.

As the Club has previously stated, we will wait for the investigation to be completed before we update our supporters further.

AFL STATEMENT – JOEL SMITH

The AFL confirms that further Anti-Doping Rule Violations (ADRVs) have been asserted against Joel Smith of the Melbourne Football Club under the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code.

Sport Integrity Australia (SIA) has notified Smith that three ADRVs for “Trafficking or Attempted Trafficking” of Cocaine to third parties are asserted against him.

Under the Code, Trafficking in an anti-doping context is relevantly defined to be “Selling, giving, transporting, sending, delivering or distributing a Prohibited Substance, by an Athlete … to any third party [but] shall not include actions involving Prohibited Substances which are not prohibited in Out-of-Competition Testing unless the circumstances as a whole demonstrate such Prohibited Substances are not intended for genuine and legal therapeutic purposes or are intended to enhance sport performance” (Article 1 of the Code).

Further, SIA has notified Smith that an ADRV for Possession of a Prohibited Substance (Cocaine) on 9 September 2022 is asserted against him.

These ADRVs are in addition to that previously asserted against him (in connection with a sample provided by him after the match between Melbourne and Hawthorn on 20 August 2023 which tested positive to Cocaine and its metabolite, Benzoylecgonine).

Smith will continue to be provisionally suspended pending the finalisation of all of these matters, meaning he is not permitted to be part of Melbourne’s football program, including Melbourne’s pre-season training that is currently underway.

Under the Code, the new asserted ADRVs will be further investigated by SIA and these matters may ultimately be heard by an AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal in the coming months.

Due to the ongoing nature of the anti-doping process, the AFL and SIA are unable to make any further comment at this time.

Last edited:

Garbage.

Gleeson said Maynard had every expectation of no collision when he left the ground. It was helmet head who then veered off his line into Maynard after he had jumped. It’s all on the video,
Helmet head should have been cited for his lack of awareness and tunnelling Bruzzy , in what was a fantastic effort to smother. the guy should give the game away , that many hits to the head he is hazardous to himself and the other players on the field. Give the gig up Angus

Sorry mate. Shaun has been off the drink for a couple of years. Used to love it though, like a lot of us.
Obviously still suffers from a residual effect because of his stupid statement regarding Maynard. Helmet Head caused that collision. The video showed him veer off into Maynard AFTER Maynard had left the ground. Gleeson concurred in saying Maynard had no expectation of a collision when he jumped.

Can you explain this a bit more?

Why does an elite athlete need to be taking recreational drugs 2 days before a game would be my first question. And why should that be acceptable?

Well what old people don't realise is recreational drugs are mainstream now. Its what kids do when they go out. MDMA and Coke etc. Like back in the day people would just go out and get blind. Things like coke and mdma and clubs designed for drug taking were not around. The world has changed.

I don't see the point of drug testing for these things.

A) I couldn't give a flying * what anybody puts up their nose or what pill they take to dance at a disco
B) They are only harmful to performance so players can make their own choices in their off time but be aware it will hurt performance.
C) I only care about PEDS for the integrity of the game.

so every time i hear blah blah tested positive for coke, mdma, weed... I just think.. who gives a *.

steroids, growth hormone, epo for sure.. focus on this and give a ban for life.

Just my personal opinion.

Well what old people don't realise is recreational drugs are mainstream now. Its what kids do when they go out. MDMA and Coke etc. Like back in the day people would just go out and get blind. Things like coke and mdma and clubs designed for drug taking were not around. The world has changed.

A) I couldn't give a flying * what anybody puts up their nose or what pill they take to dance at a disco
B) They are only harmful to performance so players can make their own choices in their off time but be aware it will hurt performance.

so every time i hear blah blah tested positive for coke, mdma, weed... I just think.. who gives a *.

Everybody does realise the first point you've made.

The two major issues are not knowing what the drugs are being cut with, meaning there is a possibility of PED being found in trace amounts.

The other is the duty of care from the AFL and the clubs. Most work places won't let their employees perform their tasks under the influence of drugs or alcohol. From the perspective of an elite athlete you are playing with fire by saying 'hey, go nuts taking recreational drugs that raise or slow your heart rate, then come to training and focus on cardiovascular training where you are operating within specific heart rate parameters'.
It's potentially very dangerous.

AFL players are people like you and me, but we should expect from better our elite athletes. Can't just throw our hands up 'because everyone is doing it'.

Is that right?
I was going to pubs and clubs that were full of drugs 40 years ago, and I'm sure it had been going on long before then.

If you are in a highly paid job with a short life span which relies on peak physical performance. And you go through countless education programs about illegal drug use before and during your career.
And yet you still have a crack at it maybe a couple of days before a game ? I don't think you should be crying over getting caught and looking at a suspension.
Even if he can get it downgraded to a three month suspension he has put a big target on his head for Melbourne to flick him if he stuffs up in anyway ongoing.

It's cocaine, an illegal drug. He got caught on game day, but in reality the only person he hurt was himself and made things worse for his club with all the other bullshit going on.

I get the rules, he got caught on game day by the governing body but that's on him.

If Joel takes accountability and takes his whack everyone will move on. He is not a dirty player.

I understand why people are pissy, you can get caught by one body (the club ) and get a 2 or three week suspension, or get caught by the governing body and get 2 years.
It's a stimulant as well lets not forget.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sport Integrity Australia officials have uncovered multiple text messages sent by Smith referencing cocaine, after reviewing his phone.

In one message sent to Demons teammates last year, he offered them a quantity of the drug, it is alleged.

This masthead has not confirmed how many Melbourne players the SMS was sent to, or the amount of cocaine offered.

AFL gonna have to find a massive rug this time

With messages sent to other demons players
Hopefully the wheel Pert out to vouch for the culture again!

nothing-to-see-here.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back