Coach John Longmire - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like Gawn and Pruess smashing Sinclair in the ruck isn't something they couldn't have planned around, especially since they were talking about Pruess coming in all week. Everyone knew it was going happen.

Play another ruck?
Try and open up the play/reduce congestion as much possible to be less prone to stoppages? Which they are very good at and it's not like stoppages are a major strength of ours anymore.
Try and work Gawn over like Port did? Instruct his players to be aggressive put some physical body into him? Or play a more aggressive player against him?

He's the one getting paid millions of dollars to come up with some counter tactics, from the evidence provided we did nothing to try and reduce Gawns influence.

We don't have any other rucks. We have forwards that double as rucks but suck worse than Sinkers at rucking.

If we lose 95% of ruck contests we are still going to lose 95% of a lower number of ruck contests by trying to reduce stoppages.
We have to clog up stoppages to give our undersized back 6 a chance by trying to prevent the opposition from getting a clean exit from stoppages.

just watched the presser. what a joke. absolutely stone cold he is. cmon mate. man up and admit you need to make some pretty radical changes to how you coach footy. the press tried to ask some decent questions and you deflected the **** out of them.

Our issues is not the coach, we really don’t have good players. My god the skillset on display is embarrassing.

Kicking wide, too high, too wide, handballing to players in n congestion etc etc.

I’m embarrassed for a player like buddy playing in a team full of avg players.

We also have a lot of dumb footballers.

What can the coach do about getting smashed in the ruck when we don't even have a half competent ruckman?

He could've tried Allir when Gawn started dominating as Sinclair was hobbled and he has a leap that could've at least nullified him.

But no Sam Reid was clearly the best and only option available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He could've tried Allir when Gawn started dominating as Sinclair was hobbled and he has a leap that could've at least nullified him.

But no Sam Reid was clearly the best and only option available

Aliir has a leap, let's play him in the ruck even though he is a poor ruck and let's ignore that Gawn dominates even the best of ruckman

If Longmire used that kind of logic........then you would be one of the people complaining that he is playing people out of position.

apparently we got smacked around the contest. they kept winning the ground ball and the clearances. Yeah John we know, but your the one who leaves the same players in the same positions. How long are the club let this broken record keep playing...?

Draft or trade for a good ruckmen . Preuss would be perfect for us.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

How would Preuss help, he isn't that good a ruckman. We've also already got forward/rucks like him in the NEAFL.

Draft or trade for a good ruckmen . Preuss would be perfect for us.

Exactly. I was arguing we should have gone after Preuss during the last trade period, as were a lot of other people. I wanted Preuss and Miles as I thought both could have added to areas where we were and are very weak.

Under Paul Roos I think we would have gone after Preuss.

Aliir has a leap, let's play him in the ruck even though he is a poor ruck and let's ignore that Gawn dominates even the best of ruckman

If Longmire used that kind of logic........then you would be one of the people complaining that he is playing people out of position.

Allir played well in the ruck in pre-season and round 1 so I don't believe he is a poor ruck, and you'd be on here spouting about how brilliant Longmire is if he did

You surely must know him personally because nobody who knows anything about football could be on here blindly defending him so much. And that's fine, I get he's a real person who is doing the best he can, but at the same time he's paid a lot of money and he has a responsibility as a custodian of the club, and supporters have a right to an opinion. I don't think anyone on this board is a troll who wants Longmire to fail

Our issues is not the coach, we really don’t have good players. My god the skillset on display is embarrassing.

Kicking wide, too high, too wide, handballing to players in n congestion etc etc.

I’m embarrassed for a player like buddy playing in a team full of avg players.

We also have a lot of dumb footballers.
Must be every other coach, list manager, draft guru etc responsible for drafting or trading for crap players with nil skills.

The most critical component of coaching is to build confidence and enjoyment and everything else will follow.

We have no confidence and very little enjoyment. The players know that game has changed but our basic footy is Neanderthal.

Static, reactive, small spaces, little to no instinct, all forwards or defenders have to fly for all marks and spoil each other. Brainless running(extra 13k running) to defend rather then setting up for attacking.

Its easier to blame the coach than to actually admit that your favourite player is 3/4 spud.

While we do have a connection with the coach, its not the same emotional attachment we have towards our favourite player/s. So when the team loses its all on the coach and not your favourites who kept turning the ball over.

When we win, its your favourite player who made the win and the coach was merely there doing coach things.

It's pretty obvious we don't have the cattle at the moment and as much as our supporters wish and hope this wasn't the case, a new coach simply wouldn't change that fact.

However... Longmire has to come under pressure for not having been able to rectify some of the glaring deficiencies in our game. Our midfield has been terrible by foot for way too long, and I can see that we've started drafting to try and rectify that in recent years, but it's too little, too late.

I have confidence that our current crop of youngsters will be able to carry the team in another 2 to 3 years with guys like Heeney, Jones, Florent, Mills, Blakey, McCartin etc but I'm not convinced Longmire should still be at the helm.

I personally think he's done a pretty good job overall and has an outstanding record as coach but it feels like the end of this year would be a good time for change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back