Coach John Longmire - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I absolutely love seeing John coach from the bench. His enthusiasm and the way that he communicates with the players is excellent to see. A great idea, especially with young team. Also allows for greater creativity and decision making coming from the rest of the coaching team, as they have access to data on the monitors in the coaching box which isn't as available to John on the bench. Shows great trust between the staff.

Q4 v North was interesting. Obviously our poor quarter was heavily influenced by fatigue and youth. Playing with one down on the bench all night plus having a bunch of young kids who are prone to inconsistency is going to produce dips in performance.
However, it would be interesting to know whether there was a decision by the coaching staff to completely shut the game down, and play a more defensive style. Our conclusion to the match does seem synonymous with other games where, as opposed to continuing on with our lead, we have decided to preserve it. If so, our execution of this game style is not particularly well done. It always seems that we just get across the line in these kinds of games. We seem to leak more goals than when we are more attacking, which would seem to be the opposite of what playing this way tries to achieve.

There were, of course, so many factors which contributed to the way we played in the last, it is entirely possible that North just got on top and played better than us. But I would like to know whether there was a clear decision to completely change the game style at 3Q time. If so, what factors decide such a drastic change in style? Is it fatigue, trying to be conservative, mindfulness of youth, lack of confidence that we can continue to produce, or combination of these and more?

I'd like to think that if it was a direct call to preserve the lead, that when this team becomes really dominant, the direction is to persevere with the type of play we saw in Q2. And I can't wait to see it.

I absolutely love seeing John coach from the bench. His enthusiasm and the way that he communicates with the players is excellent to see. A great idea, especially with young team. Also allows for greater creativity and decision making coming from the rest of the coaching team, as they have access to data on the monitors in the coaching box which isn't as available to John on the bench. Shows great trust between the staff.

Q4 v North was interesting. Obviously our poor quarter was heavily influenced by fatigue and youth. Playing with one down on the bench all night plus having a bunch of young kids who are prone to inconsistency is going to produce dips in performance.
However, it would be interesting to know whether there was a decision by the coaching staff to completely shut the game down, and play a more defensive style. Our conclusion to the match does seem synonymous with other games where, as opposed to continuing on with our lead, we have decided to preserve it. If so, our execution of this game style is not particularly well done. It always seems that we just get across the line in these kinds of games. We seem to leak more goals than when we are more attacking, which would seem to be the opposite of what playing this way tries to achieve.

There were, of course, so many factors which contributed to the way we played in the last, it is entirely possible that North just got on top and played better than us. But I would like to know whether there was a clear decision to completely change the game style at 3Q time. If so, what factors decide such a drastic change in style? Is it fatigue, trying to be conservative, mindfulness of youth, lack of confidence that we can continue to produce, or combination of these and more?

I'd like to think that if it was a direct call to preserve the lead, that when this team becomes really dominant, the direction is to persevere with the type of play we saw in Q2. And I can't wait to see it.
We went into damage control after conceiding the first couple in the last. And with 12 minutes to go you kind of have to go defensive with a few goal lead. Not worth risking copping another two in quick succession by staying attacking if indeed the opposition has gained the swing of the game.

To me it just looked like our mids were totally gassed. Even Hewett looked that little bit more off the pace in the fourth, even though he was still massive all game. Once that midfield battle was lost, it became really easy for North to just win clearances and get repeat entries. Too many repeat entries and you start tiring from defending over and over, and that made it even worse for a young group that was already knackered. I don't think there was a conceited effort on Horse's behalf to stop the scoring. We came out firing and became a wet mop after about two stoppages. Kinda puts a halt on any plans you have to keep on scoring.

In any case, we should've already had the game on lock by that point. Let's not forget very gettable shots missed by Sinclair, McCartin, Rowbottom and Hayward all in that stretch in the second and third quarters. The last quarter wouldn't have mattered at all if those boys had've just kicked straighter (Sinclair's miss was borderline unforgivable IMO.)

A domino falls, Brad Scott to depart the Roos with a year left on his contract

I guess we’ll find out sooner rather than later whether Horse and the Swans are as committed to each other as they profess

A domino falls, Brad Scott to depart the Roos with a year left on his contract

I guess we’ll find out sooner rather than later whether Horse and the Swans are as committed to each other as they profess

Horse holds all the cards.
He'll do a Ross Lyon if we don't give him an extension by year's end.
Interesting times ahead.

Horse holds all the cards.
He'll do a Ross Lyon if we don't give him an extension by year's end.
Interesting times ahead.

Agree

He has the opportunity to force the clubs hand if he wanted

North would take him if he wanted it

He can say to Sydney extend or I’m off

Hopefully we say goodbye but that’s personal view

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said, interesting times. If he feels respected he'll stay. He's not stupid.

Respected by whom? I do not think Horse lacks for respect from the Club, players, fans or wider community. The key question is whether he is now the right person for the job at our Club.

Oddly he enough I reckon he is coaching better with his move to the bench.

Respected by whom? I do not think Horse lacks for respect from the Club, players, fans or wider community. The key question is whether he is now the right person for the job at our Club.

Oddly he enough I reckon he is coaching better with his move to the bench.
Maybe like Roos with him, he is coaching from the bench to allow his successor, Kirk, to take the reigns before he moves on to North.
Makes sense actually.

Maybe like Roos with him, he is coaching from the bench to allow his successor, Kirk, to take the reigns before he moves on to North.
Makes sense actually.

It does if you believe Kirky would be a competent coach.

Clear as day that the club and players respect horse so much. He has pulled through a bunch of kids seamlessly Infront of our eyes, playing a well balanced style of football and is showing that he can change things up and mentor the players through this transition. Honestly so refreshing and proud to see him on the bench guiding the team. Too see our youngsters hold themselves in the manner they have so far this year is more than what we can ask for. Can't be expecting a bunch of kids to score 100+. Whether he's the coach who can take us to our next premiership or not, seeing him go to another team or having pitchforks at his door would be such a disappointing sight to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back