Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparison is the thief of joy.

I don't get the point of comparing Longmire to Clarko or Bevo, it's all pointless. They have their own clubs with their own lists. Could Horse have won 4 premierships at Hawthorn? Maybe not, but he probably would have won more running the Bulldogs.

Longmire has done a great job at Sydney. I'd love to be better than 1-3 for GF wins but I'll take it over the 0-0 days or 0-1 days. Looking forward to 2026 when it'll be 4-3

Last edited:
Comparison is the thief of joy.

I don't get the point of comparing Longmire to Clarko or Bevo, it's all pointless. They have their own clubs with their own lists. Could Horse have won 4 premierships at Hawthorn? Maybe not, but he probably would have won more running the Bulldogs.

Longmire has done a great job at Sydney. I'd love to be better than 1-4 for GF wins but I'll take it over the 0-0 days or 0-1 days. Looking forward to 2026 when it'll be 4-4
Nice saying. With permission I'll use that.

FWIW and this should appease the Longmire fanboiz, I think our list this year is as good as I’ve seen it with a real even spread of talent across the board

I think we’re a genuine chance to win the premiership and if this can be achieved us naysayers may forgive and forget his past shortcomings

I remember Clarkson himself saying that coaches don't have a great deal of influence on Grand Final day. By that stage it's up to the players mostly. Horse has been a great coach for us and he's produced a brand of football that has seen us be regular finalists and appear in four grand finals. One more flag in that time would have been nice but I don't think you can take away from the quality of his coaching and leadership.

So, for Longmire's 'lukewarm' supporters and his detractors, would you prefer Beveridge? Without checking the stats, seems to have a better record in finals. 50% in grand finals. And must have won more than he lost given he won 7 finals in 2016 and 2021 alone but can't have lost that many since he hasn't made finals enough to do so.
Longmires record is 50% in Grand Finals. Beveridge is 0%

FWIW and this should appease the Longmire fanboiz, I think our list this year is as good as I’ve seen it with a real even spread of talent across the board

I think we’re a genuine chance to win the premiership and if this can be achieved us naysayers may forgive and forget his past shortcomings
Can agree with that. I think during the 2012-17 period we probably had a better top end, especially when comparing defense between then and now, but our current list has better depth of talent. If only we could put Buddy in a reverse aging machine and make him 10 years younger!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did that come from ? It will be announced ? He goes back to back this year and next and Big Cox could be auditioning for parts in a different industry
I made a call , is that okay , it's me no one else . I just think the club will talk with him during the year . I'll be playing golf with his best mate next week up in Corowa so might inquire and he might say nothing .
His built a very big waterfront home on the Murray with a houseboat and looking forward to living there at some stage , kids are out of school , no ties to Sydney

I made a call , is that okay , it's me no one else . I just think the club will talk with him during the year . I'll be playing golf with his best mate next week up in Corowa so might inquire and he might say nothing .
His built a very big waterfront home on the Murray with a houseboat and looking forward to living there at some stage , kids are out of school , no ties to Sydney
You said will be announced. Should have said in my opinion or I think. You are quoting like you know for certain. That’s where people will chip you for a source ? Anyway I think Cox could be the successor but it may shock you to know last time I was in Sydney last year for the GOATS farewell I had a good chat to Luke Hodge who was staying in the room adjacent to me at the Hyatt and you would be surprised to know who he considers the smartest footy person on that coaching panel and also the smartest player he has come up against. That’s right the athlete who become a Swans Captain, Premiership Captain no less and the best traffic cop in the game. Hawthorn were more concerned with him with ball in hand than anybody else as were his opposition peers at other clubs. Held in high esteem at the club for his tactical knowledge so could be in for a shock.

Last edited:
You said will be announced. Should have said in my opinion or I think. You are quoting like you know for certain. That’s where people will chip you for a source ? Anyway I think Cox could be the successor but it may shock you to know last time I was in Sydney last year for the GOATS farewell I had a good chat to Luke Hodge who was staying in the room adjacent to me at the Hyatt and you would be surprised to know who he considers the smartest footy person on that coaching panel and also the smartest player he has come up against. That’s right the athlete who become a Swans Captain, Premiership Captain no less and the best traffic cop in the game. Hawthorn were more concerned with him with ball in hand than anybody else as were his opposition peers at other clubs. Held in high esteem at the club for his tactical knowledge so could be in for a shock.

Looking forward to the response from some .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes i did term it wrong Mr Wordsmith .
Yes and that's why Mitchell threw it over his head giving us a 50 and a great goal .
Still has never been to any other system , you need to learn and most of the great coaches have , i'll stick with a Cox

Yes i did term it wrong Mr Wordsmith .
Yes and that's why Mitchell threw it over his head giving us a 50 and a great goal .
Still has never been to any other system , you need to learn and most of the great coaches have , i'll stick with a Cox
Roos played at Fitzroy then Swans then was an assistant at Swans Under Eade and done what no other Senior coach has done in the history of the game breaking a premiership drought of 72 years. Then went on to coach a rabble like Melbourne how to defend and compete at the level while setting up their next flag. All the while being chased by the majority of clubs in the AFL To be their Senior Coach. Fluke ? All without leaving the club he played for to learn ?

For a moment there I thought you were suggesting Barry Hall as our next coach.

Just for a moment.

Roos played at Fitzroy then Swans then was an assistant at Swans Under Eade and done what no other Senior coach has done in the history of the game breaking a premiership drought of 72 years. Then went on to coach a rabble like Melbourne how to defend and compete at the level while setting up their next flag. All the while being chased by the majority of clubs in the AFL To be their Senior Coach. Fluke ? All without leaving the club he played for to learn ?
Not the same , but at least he's done an apprenticeship , would be a good get for the 2 head Devils.

Not the same , but at least he's done an apprenticeship , would be a good get for the 2 head Devils.
Why is it not the same ? Roos played, retired, become an assistant at the same club he played then coached that club. McVeigh played for the club, become an assistant at the club and may have aspirations to coach the club. How are Roos and him or the way they have gone about their journey to become a senior coach any different ?

Why is it not the same ? Roos played, retired, become an assistant at the same club he played then coached that club. McVeigh played for the club, become an assistant at the club and may have aspirations to coach the club. How are Roos and him or the way they have gone about their journey to become a senior coach any different ?
Roos had at least experienced football at another club, and under other coaches. McVeigh had two coaches during his time - Roos and Longmire. While their coaching specifics would have been different, the overall club philosophy remained pretty constant. So McVeigh hasn't had exposure to a completely different set-up.

Also, Roos is pretty much the exception to the rule that recently retired players generally don't move successfully into coaching at the club they (recently) retired from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back