Coach John Longmire

Is it time to think about a change up top?

• No - I don't want to financially cripple the club

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not calling for his head, some of his tactics though I find too defensive.

Well then what the bloody hell are we arguing about FFS?

My post about Generation Snowflake was in the context of people calling for Horse to be sacked. I have no beef with people who want a more attacking gameplan or whatever. I might disagree, but I don't begrudge them that view. It's when people want him sacked, without any consideration of the merits of the alternatives, or even who the alternatives might be, that I get on the front foot and start swinging.

Well then what the bloody hell are we arguing about FFS?

My post about Generation Snowflake was in the context of people calling for Horse to be sacked. I have no beef with people who want a more attacking gameplan or whatever. I might disagree, but I don't begrudge them that view. It's when people want him sacked, without any consideration of the merits of the alternatives, or even who the alternatives might be, that I get on the front foot and start swinging.
Swing hard Bruce, I'll be watching on

He'll move on to greener pastures if he doesn't get a gig soon and will be a much better coach long term than Longmire, who is fast developing a bad trait for mismanaging the list, choking in the games it counts, and being unable to adapt to a changing AFL landscape.

He'll move on to greener pastures if he doesn't get a gig soon and will be a much better coach long term than Longmire, who is fast developing a bad trait for mismanaging the list, choking in the games it counts, and being unable to adapt to a changing AFL landscape.

So.....without knowing the first thing about Dew's abilities as a senior coach, you think he should replace Longmire because of a bunch of evidence free motherhood statements presuming, of course, Dew holds a different view of those matters in any event.

Ask Collingwood what happens when you appoint a senior coach for fear of him moving on to greener pastures.

So.....without knowing the first thing about Dew's abilities as a senior coach, you think he should replace Longmire because of a bunch of evidence free motherhood statements presuming, of course, Dew holds a different view of those matters in any event.

Ask Collingwood what happens when you appoint a senior coach for fear of him moving on to greener pastures.

Malthouse had just come off winning the flag. Don't see Longmire doing that any time soon. Buckley was also a complete bonehead who had no skills at coaching before being appointed. I thought they'd get the spoon that year and they're getting progressively closer.

Dew was in charge of our midfield and strategy in 2014 - remember how hard we got pantsed in the GF in those two areas? I feel he's overrated - but yeah he is improving.

We can do better than Dew

Malthouse had just come off winning the flag. Don't see Longmire doing that any time soon. Buckley was also a complete bonehead who had no skills at coaching before being appointed. I thought they'd get the spoon that year and they're getting progressively closer.

Longmire is streets ahead of Malthouse as a coach, as a list manager (remember Daisy Thomas), as an adapter to the changing nature of the game, and as a bloke for what that's worth. And but for a shocking run of injuries and a flog of an umpire, would be a Premiership coach right now.

Moreover, but for horrible luck this year, at a time when we were adapting (transitioning) our list, we'd probably be sitting at 4 wins and 3 losses. Even still we can make finals and in an unusual type of year, we could win the thing. But let's sack Horse, because, despite having us in finals every year that he has coached (6 years by the way) he apparently can't adapt to the changing landscape (whatever the * that is).

Dew was in charge of our midfield and strategy in 2014 - remember how hard we got pantsed in the GF in those two areas? I feel he's overrated - but yeah he is improving.

We can do better than Dew

Our midfield remains one of the best in the league for a reason. The midfield didn't let us down on the day, our ruck division is horrendous and our backline is incredibly weak now.

Longmire is streets ahead of Malthouse as a coach, as a list manager (remember Daisy Thomas), as an adapter to the changing nature of the game, and as a bloke for what that's worth. And but for a shocking run of injuries and a flog of an umpire, would be a Premiership coach right now.

Moreover, but for horrible luck this year, at a time when we were adapting (transitioning) our list, we'd probably be sitting at 4 wins and 3 losses. Even still we can make finals and in an unusual type of year, we could win the thing. But let's sack Horse, because, despite having us in finals every year that he has coached (6 years by the way) he apparently can't adapt to the changing landscape (whatever the **** that is).

Longmire is a Premiership coach. o_O

Why do you pretend not to know what I meant? Or is it that you really don't know what I meant?

Perhaps you meant Dual Premiership Coach.

Or 2012 genuinely slipped your mind.

Either way, pretending that what you wrote was correct is laughable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares if Dew goes, there would be at least one assistant coach at every club with a similar resume to Dew, assistants cannot be judged until they've actually coached.

Our midfield remains one of the best in the league for a reason. The midfield didn't let us down on the day, our ruck division is horrendous and our backline is incredibly weak now.
Our development has been amazing! Blakey has been head of development for a while, I'd have him ahead of Dew in our own coaching structure

Why do you think that anyone thinks that it is okay? What on earth makes you think that this side will end up resembling Carlton in any way? It all sounds a bit too much like panic (or stirring) to me!

I'm not sure what you do for a crust, but for some reason I'm thinking that it is in finance, so perhaps you might consider this points... during the GFC which countries managed best? I think in all cases you will find that it was the ones with the most stable governments. The same scenario applies here. John may well make mistakes, take wrong advice, do something just plain stupid! But it will always be better for the club, the players and the spectators to have a smooth transition to the next coach. Given that John is most likely meeting KPIs, that will not occur before the end of the current contract.

I've been thinking the same thing that perhaps some of the more critical posters may come from the cut-throat world of finance. At the very least, surely its safe to say that performance KPI's would cover across a whole season not individual games are parts of a season. Surely, even if he fails miserably this year commonsense says he deserves to be given next season to turn it around? Even in the cut-throat world of finance where performance is generally assessed on a month-by-month basis, if you have a bad month you get a second month to turn it around ...

I am not in finance. I am from the cut throat world of reality. (and software development).

Longmire almost certainly has KPI's. I do not know what these are, I assume they would be something like the following
* 1- 4 finish
* a preliminary final.

At the end of the year, questions need to be asked.

* Why were these KPI's not met?
* Who is the right person to meet these KPI's?

I hope these kind of questions are done at all levels of the club.

Re: Carlton.

The reason I brought this up is because, if at 0-6 is acceptable, this year because it's horse, and you back him to turn it around. What happens next year if he's
0-5? or 0-7? Back him in again under the bs of "stability"?

Horse is going to get fired/moved on eventually. The question is when and what state will the Swans be in when that happens?

I meant the current Premiership coach. And you've lost the argument.
You said "a" premiership coach right now, not "the" premiership coach. Don't turn this back on me for your stuff up.

I am not in finance. I am from the cut throat world of reality. (and software development).

Longmire almost certainly has KPI's. I do not know what these are, I assume they would be something like the following
* 1- 4 finish
* a preliminary final.

At the end of the year, questions need to be asked.

* Why were these KPI's not met?
* Who is the right person to meet these KPI's?

I hope these kind of questions are done at all levels of the club.

Re: Carlton.

The reason I brought this up is because, if at 0-6 is acceptable, this year because it's horse, and you back him to turn it around. What happens next year if he's
0-5? or 0-7? Back him in again under the bs of "stability"?

Horse is going to get fired/moved on eventually. The question is when and what state will the Swans be in when that happens?

I can guarantee that 1-4 finish or Preliminary Final are not KPI's in the sense that you've represented them.

Absolute guarantee.

It would be far more about individual and collective player improvement.

In terms of answering why they were not met, to the extent that it was due to the 0-6 start and we don't continue to lose a stack of games this year......

1. Heeney got glandular.
2. Rampe tripped over a chain.
3. Tippett and Naismith kept getting injured.
4. So did Macca and K Jack and Robinson.

And all of this occurred in a year when we were....

5. Transitioning the list.

Now it important that we transition the list because we simply can't afford as a club to fall off a cliff like Hawthorn have. We operate in a different market.

So we didn't have the midfield backup we needed when so much of our list was on the sidelines. Our midfield backup was Florent and Fox and Foote. We love our rookie F's, but they're just rookies. It isn't the number of injuries, it's the type of players that were injured.

Now if we continue to maintain any sort of healthy list and only win a quarter of our remaining games, then sure, questions should be asked as to why. Our list is good enough to be competitive. But that hasn't happened yet. And I'm not going to sit here and will it to happen so I can have a shiny new coach.

Last edited:
You said "a" premiership coach right now, not "the" premiership coach. Don't turn this back on me for your stuff up.

That's right. It was responding to your ridiculous assertion regarding Malthouse. Ridiculous because Longmire enjoys exactly the same exhalted position Malthouse did when he was moved on. But you chose to miss the point and act as though I'd made some fundamental blue as to Longmire's CV, when any sort of reasonable read would have seen I meant 2016. So you chose to throw in a stupid smiley and ridicule. So you lost. Your argument can't be sustained.

Grass is always greener in Brisbane

* cause it is, more warmth and sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back