Coach John Longmire

Is it time to think about a change up top?

• No - I don't want to financially cripple the club

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well I was addressing a general question in general terms. I've gone back 5 pages to find your specific opinion on Horse and can't see it. But I can tell you I well remember the dark years and it'll take me more than a batch of losses from a crippled side to scream for the sacking of our most successful coach ever.
Don't know your age group etc, I kicked a footy to myself on the hill in the early 80s. By year's end I'll make my mind up re Horse; for me tactically he has limitations, no plan b, c etc and has played too defensively with an elite group, eg Reid as spare man in defence last week.

You can't sack a coach after a singe shite year. If we are battling it out with the Pies for the spoon next year it's game on for Horses head.

Fair enough you can have that view by all means, but still clarko has nothing to do with sydney

All i would day is 09 was a year off a flag for him, not 5 years off and we have lost 2 grand finals and come up short a few other times now, whilst paying through the nose for players including a great forward.

We should be kicking scores like yesterday all the time imo

But regardless he will be coach for the next few years anyway

Jokes aside the issue here is that we currently sit at 2-7

Are we happy with this?

Im not, this list is better than that.

Im afraid that we will end up like carlton where a .500 season is "acceptable".

I expect to make finals, the standard you see is the standard you accept.

I do not want to accept 2-7.

Someone please explain to me why this is ok?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I'm not sure anyone is saying that 2-7 is totally 'acceptable' I think its more that those who are supporting Horse would rather give him the full 23 rounds and judge his performance across the full season rather than calling for his head after just 6 games.

It's coming from a generation of supporters with the attention span of a goldfish.

"I want us to be more dynamic......I want us to take the game on......I want someone to connect more with the players......the roos/horse dynasty has had its day".

These kinds of statements have one thing in common. They are entirely meaningless. Written from behind a screen by people who have quite probably never spilled a drop of blood for their team mates on the field.

They want shiny new toys all the time. They listen too much to radio commentators who have to fill 24 hours a day 7 days a week with footy talk so they wind up speaking complete bullshit......and these people lap it up.

If they don't see 10 pack marks from Sam Reid, they want him traded. If Lloyd doesn't kick 50m down the throat of Franklin they want him delisted.

They don't understand accountability.
Wow! Bruce... I mostly like your posts, but I think you've got this a little bit wrong.

You can't blame impatience on a single generation of supporters... it's a common human failing and happens in every generation. I'm going to put comments like 'the attention span of a goldfish' and 'shiny new toys' down to your having a bad day. As for spilling a drop of blood, I can tell you now, I have never spilt a drop of blood willingly for anyone, let alone a team mate!

A lot of the younger folk on here are still at uni and have never had to set or meet KPIs, so don't really understand them in practice yet. Many of them would have a 'skewed' idea of what Horse's KPIs might be due to the media, I agree... but is that their fault?

My post wasn't aimed at any generation, or even at any specific poster. It was intended as a gentle reminder that what the BF Swans board wants is not necessarily what the board of the Sydney Swans has asked for, or what John is delivering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough you can have that view by all means, but still clarko has nothing to do with sydney

All i would day is 09 was a year off a flag for him, not 5 years off and we have lost 2 grand finals and come up short a few other times now, whilst paying through the nose for players including a great forward.

Scoring has been poor this year partly because Longmire goes defensive at weird stages of the game but also because the players have been either injured or out of form. Can't blame the coach if the players make basic errors.

I think he made the right choice with Tippett and Rohan sending them to the NEAFL. Jones into the middle has been a win.

Defence looks shaky at times but Melican and Marsh have had some decent games. Newman finds the ball.

Hayward up forward has been a good addition.

Rucks are a worry but you can't win them all.

When you make statements that we are 'paying through the nose for players' you make it sounds like we are paying our players 20-30% more than every other club therefore we should be expected to win every year. Whilst I agree that its red crosses against Horse performance that we haven't won another 1 or 2 premierships, but considering that we have the same TPP as the 17 other clubs I still think that the Football department as a whole has still exceeded expectations over the last 10 years.

I do get what you are saying, we just have very different philosophies as to how we assess performance.

I like a bit of the post
'But some of what you attribute as success to Horse is not much to do with how he coaches

Thats like saying we should pick Brandon Jack if he helps a few ladies cross the street.
No it's definitely not. As head coach his role includes numerous sub-roles, which he needs to manage well to achieve KPIs. Too many (imo) believe that his only role is to 'coach' the team to a win on any given game day. To achieve the level of success that the Sydney club has, takes careful long term planning and strategies, and is not just about picking a team and tactics on the day or for the year. All that relationship building and maintaining would be an extremely important part of the role.

PS. I admit that days when he thinks that B Jack deserves a run make me wonder what the hell is thinking??? :huh::eek:

Jokes aside the issue here is that we currently sit at 2-7

Are we happy with this?

Im not, this list is better than that.

Im afraid that we will end up like carlton where a .500 season is "acceptable".

I expect to make finals, the standard you see is the standard you accept.

I do not want to accept 2-7.

Someone please explain to me why this is ok?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Why do you think that anyone thinks that it is okay? What on earth makes you think that this side will end up resembling Carlton in any way? It all sounds a bit too much like panic (or stirring) to me!

I'm not sure what you do for a crust, but for some reason I'm thinking that it is in finance, so perhaps you might consider this points... during the GFC which countries managed best? I think in all cases you will find that it was the ones with the most stable governments. The same scenario applies here. John may well make mistakes, take wrong advice, do something just plain stupid! But it will always be better for the club, the players and the spectators to have a smooth transition to the next coach. Given that John is most likely meeting KPIs, that will not occur before the end of the current contract.

Why do you think that anyone thinks that it is okay? What on earth makes you think that this side will end up resembling Carlton in any way? It all sounds a bit too much like panic (or stirring) to me!

I'm not sure what you do for a crust, but for some reason I'm thinking that it is in finance, so perhaps you might consider this points... during the GFC which countries managed best? I think in all cases you will find that it was the ones with the most stable governments. The same scenario applies here. John may well make mistakes, take wrong advice, do something just plain stupid! But it will always be better for the club, the players and the spectators to have a smooth transition to the next coach. Given that John is most likely meeting KPIs, that will not occur before the end of the current contract.
I've been thinking the same thing that perhaps some of the more critical posters may come from the cut-throat world of finance. At the very least, surely its safe to say that performance KPI's would cover across a whole season not individual games are parts of a season. Surely, even if he fails miserably this year commonsense says he deserves to be given next season to turn it around? Even in the cut-throat world of finance where performance is generally assessed on a month-by-month basis, if you have a bad month you get a second month to turn it around ...

Don't know your age group etc, I kicked a footy to myself on the hill in the early 80s. By year's end I'll make my mind up re Horse; for me tactically he has limitations, no plan b, c etc and has played too defensively with an elite group, eg Reid as spare man in defence last week.

You just described his plan B whilst saying he didn't have a plan B.

It's not a plan b, it's the fall back plan that everyone but Scott knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back