Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

smokingjacket

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Reminds me of a Russian guy I worked with, when we had to attend some bullshit training about recognising people’s differences and respecting their feelings, and that how people felt about work mattered as much as the quality of the work they did.

He piped up “we are not here to have feelings, we are here to do work. I don’t care how you feel, I will respect you if you do your job!”

I smiled and thought, right on, man.
That was me, sometimes I affect a Russian accent so I don't get in trouble at work or when harassing women on the street.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ShanDog

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Moderator #4,002
Many of the things that people are bitching about in this thread as "post-modernism" in this thread are actually from liberal theories of business psychology.

It's the Stewart Lee bit about OHS and political correctness.
I really have no knowledge of that area of study.

smokingjacket

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I really have no knowledge of that area of study.
You're in study at the moment, correct? I think Harvard Business Review has limited free access anyway but if you have institutional access you could search for business psychology, human resources or specifics like "group emotional intelligence" and things like that and you'll find heaps of stuff about why having feels at work makes you a better worker going back to the 90's.

A lot of it's about team building so it might have some extra-curricular use for you.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin
Some workers fighting for a piece of the pie simply because they weren't fortunate enough to be born with it?

I think you have mistaken me for a conservative.
Interesting perspective about the CFMEU.
Am I reading this comment correctly?

Are they (CFMEU members) oppressed/unfortunate people fighting for their slice of the pie to get back what those born with a silver spoon have taken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin
I wouldn't argue with that, if you are fortunate enough to find yourself with a great lecturer and tutor, in a subject you love, and you can really engage in open and challenging way with them - it is truly a gift you must treasure - and I am jealous. It is precisely that kind of relationship which can elevate your interest and understanding in the subject and potentially twist your entire life destiny around it.

But this is not always the case and I believe - anecdotally - it occurs far less in the humanities fields than anywhere else. Now whilst, Law is, of course, a humanities subject it is also a profession and is thus, unlike most Humanities subjects, forever confronted with and adapting to reality - within the court room, with legislative changes and interpretations which impact real people and their real life issues.
Great post.

This is why legislation is written in grey, not black and white. It’s a beautiful thing to discuss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mofra

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, The Exers
Moderator #4,012
Great post.

This is why legislation is written in grey, not black and white. It’s a beautiful thing to discuss.
You've described the fundamental difference between progressive and conservative legal interpretations (e.g. supreme court judges) - those who believe interpreting law for the modern era (intent) vs black letter law.
It's a debate that I'm not likely to see a conclusion to in my lifetime.

Mofra

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, The Exers
Moderator #4,013
https://www.chronicle.com/article/T...oukQ5zGyKAibm3pwBGElRk3OiKcHWDjBOWL0thPrPxPDE

In their parochial, self-serious literalism, they exemplify a style that increasingly pervades public writing by humanities scholars — a style that takes expertise to be authoritative and wields historical facts, however trivial or debatable, as dispositive answers to political questions. Such literalism is bad rhetoric, a way of dissolving argument into trivia. It’s also bad history: At root, it betrays the humanities’ own hard-won explanations of how we have come to know the past.
That's a brilliant article.
It does cut to the heart of the purpose of language which is often completely forgotten (even before we consider the fluid nature of communication, e.g Shakespeare's multiple spellings of his own name and invented words).

Number37

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
You've described the fundamental difference between progressive and conservative legal interpretations (e.g. supreme court judges) - those who believe interpreting law for the modern era (intent) vs black letter law.
It's a debate that I'm not likely to see a conclusion to in my lifetime.

Judicial conservatism v judicial activism is a myth.
It is easy for a conservative judge to pull out the 'that's not for me to decide' when it suits them.

A good example:
Dyson Heydon in the 'can the govt spend money on stimulus' case said, nope, the HC shouldn't be implying such power, that's for the people to grant.
In the 'can the govt spend money on chaplains for schools' case, the same Dyson Heydon said of course we can imply such power.

yebiga

Anglo Guilt - suck it up
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's a brilliant article.
It does cut to the heart of the purpose of language which is often completely forgotten (even before we consider the fluid nature of communication, e.g Shakespeare's multiple spellings of his own name and invented words).
I'm afraid that I find that entire article appealing dribble dressed up with the odd jargon to give it some modern veneer of profundity - there isn't a single coherent thought in the piece. Some pedantic historian objects to the veracity of the analogies made concerning Turmp's proposed wall and this is sufficient for this dude to assume there is a whole literalist school of historians. It is simply not a thing - it's a quirk of personality. And it is simply a bizarro claim. Do you really believe anything but the very odd history professor would object to the Trump wall being referred to as Medieval. Or that charges of witch hunts by Trump misrepresent the Salem witch trial? The guy is a twit!

No surprise this clown emerges from the English department. Any honest to goodness History Professor would be honestly question that Adorno and Foucault have added anything valuable in any field let alone history. And certainly No self respecting Historian would credit Foucault's work as history. Because if one accepts that everything is merely power, oppression and control as Michel does depressingly - there is nothing left to do but for each of us to shoot ourselves and end the human experiment. For Foucault, Adorno and the entire post modern prefects of oppression, offer no meaning or profundity to life. All life, all art all family, love, children, society, music is viewed through a prism of misery. There is no progress or possible progress just a litany of shit.

Works of extraordinary myth, humour, tragedy and profundity are everywhere in literature to inspire and educate us, the next generation and beyond. The "facts may not speak for themselves" but stories aren't facts - stories are worlds. The English department and its post modern freaks have made the world small dark and miserable. Who the hell wants to either study that or fund it. They should all resign their positions and learn to code because through the lens of Foucault you can't fall in love with Don Quixote and if you can't do that - you do not belong in the Literature department.

fleabitten

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Thread has been cleaned. Enough with the trading of insults and baiting. It's boring and you just look silly.
My deleted post was neither an insult nor baiting. I don't think it was boring either. It was actually kind of on-topic. Peterson might not agree with Bulworth's proposed solution, but I think he'd support the idea of a less race-obsessed society.

I won't argue with the looking silly part though.

ShanDog

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Moderator #4,018
My deleted post was neither an insult nor baiting. I don't think it was boring either. It was actually kind of on-topic. Peterson might not agree with Bulworth's proposed solution, but I think he'd support the idea of a less race-obsessed society.

I won't argue with the looking silly part though.
There's always collateral damage in conflict sorry.

Top Bottom