Recommitted Josh Jenkins [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Surprisingly doesn't appear to be a thread on him yet.

Brisbane have made Adelaide key forward Josh Jenkins a lucrative five-year offer, believed to be worth close to $750,000 per season.

While Jenkins has indicated his wish to remain with the Crows, the Brisbane offer is significantly greater than what Adelaide has been prepared to pay at this stage.

Source: Jake Niall, Fox Sports.

As we know, he's an established key forward who is on track for a third successive 40+ goal year. He will be 28 at the commencement of the 2017 season and therefore his value won't be humongous, however he could still a good KPF for 4-6 years judging by his current form, and he shows no current signs of decline.

Fremantle known to be interested. Brisbane and Melbourne reportedly circling him. Can expect Essendon to be interested in re-couping him after trading him years ago, and even clubs like Richmond and Western Bulldogs to be into him.

What is he worth and would you take him on board?

I can't see Melbourne being interested, with the Weed and Hulett developing at Casey he wouldn't be a priority. I'd prefer us going after a big key defender or a skilled and fast flanker.

Under no circumstance Brisbane will give up a top 4 pick for Jenkins, as some Crows fans would want.

Shows how stupid and half-arsed the AFL system is currently that a club needs to trade something to acquire an uncontracted player.

Where there's smoke ........

Crows offer of two years was a bit insulting, they did the same to Lynch and lucky he didn't walk but then gave a four year deal to spud Mackay - go figure!

If nothing else this has seriously raised the ante at the Crows, Jenkins can expect a minimum 4 years to be offered and at considerably more coin than Crows were previously prepared to offer.

Watch this space .....

For the record Brisbane has officially denied approaching Jenkins, which is probably more to quash the ridiculous price tag than whether or not they actually have interest.

I say its just stop the Talk.

Pies said simmlar thing about Treloar bit after Barrets Report

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Average footballer, money should go to the really good players something Jenkins isn't.
Brisbane are crazy if this is true.

$750k a year over 5 years for a 27 year old 78 gamer is madness.

I like him but he's a solid $400-500k player. Brisbane will never get anywhere paying that sort of money for players of his calibre.
I don't think it is. He has proven to be worth something. He is a 198 cm bloke that can kick 40 goals a season and can ruck. He would fit well at some clubs. Hell he would fit freo as we need a forward plus Sandi and Griffin are almost retired. Clarke might leave too.

If Jenkins was a free agent. Teams would chase him. AFLPA would love to drop the Free agency rule to 6 years. Then possibly 4. Its easy to see why.

Shows how stupid and half-arsed the AFL system is currently that a club needs to trade something to acquire an uncontracted player.

Thats a whole different debate.... and the result of a such a change may be 5-10 year contracts and injured players being tied to clubs for years.

And in fact in this case.... Brisbane does not have to pay anything. If the destination team is bottom of the ladder , if the offer is over the top , then they could threaten to put him into the PSD.

honestly think Jenkins would get found out if he moved to another club to be the number 1 target -

Goes missing too often and never gets the #1 defender with Tex / Betts / Lynch / McGovern in the same forward line..

Obviously his decision in regards to the coin he wants but I really think he'll have a better career staying at Adelaide

I say its just stop the Talk.

Pies said simmlar thing about Treloar bit after Barrets Report

I think Brisbane would definitely be interested, but I reckon the official denial is to quash the ridiculous totals. It's almost certain that was "leaked" by JJ's manager to try to get Adelaide to up their offer.

Wouldn't mind Geelong going for him if Clark doesn't get back on the park for us. Just don't think we would have enough to get the deal done.

The only way there could be any truth to that $ figure is if they are almost certain that the salary cap will rise by $3mil plus in the next couple of years which is possible.
For me he is your typical $400,000 type of player.

I don't think the Lions should chase Jenkins we have the forwards just continue to give them games

I guess the idea is to have an experienced big body down there to take the #1 defender, and allow the young guys to walk a bit taller.

Seems you kinda tried that with Walker, and it's a bit disappointing that he hasn't really worked out.

$750k a year over 5 years for a 27 year old 78 gamer is madness.

I like him but he's a solid $400-500k player. Brisbane will never get anywhere paying that sort of money for players of his calibre.
There is also the stupid AFL rules that say you have to pay 85 (?) % of your cap even if you have a list of hacks.
If I remember rightly that was why the Bulldogs didnt have such an issue with the money they put Boyd on as they had to spend it anyway. They were also paying some of Griffins wage as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back