Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If i win the powerball tonight I will put enough money on him to bring him down to $1.01 for the lol's. :)

Belly is enjoying these coffee catch-ups. How the heck does a recently sacked assistant and recently delisted player get the same odds as Jade Rawlings and Daniel Giansiracusa???

I’m not much of a betting person but if there are odds that means someone wants to place some money on Guerra and Ballas??? Whoever it is give me the $50 and I’ll give you $30 back.

Don't mind the idea. Rome had two consuls who would share power for a year. This seemed to work until an egomaniac came along and ruined everything.
Well, no, not really. The Roman Republic was more or less constantly at war with either some other mob or itself during the Republican phase, until one Gaius Julius Caesar wandered back over a certain river with a single legion and basically sat on an uncomfortable chair waiting for someone to have the balls to turf him out of it - which no one did. Mostly because back in the Republican days, Roman soldiers were paid mostly in booty from successful campaigns against... well, everyone... rather than out of the republican coffers. So no one else had troops that gave a crap, and Ole Julius had some hard men at his side who certainly did give a crap because he'd made them relatively wealthy over the last few years, at the expense of the Gauls. Loyalty, you see. Very important thing, it is.

Thing is, old Julius never actually was an emperor of Rome. He just made himself Consul (dictator) for life, a bit like that Asian bloke up north did a while back. And even after they got rid of him, stabby stab stab in the name of the republic and all that, they still couldn't get the republic back up and running again, too many blokes wanting their say on how things should be done. So they split it into three, and that only lasted for a short while until Mark Antony went native and got it on with a (reputably) fine looking local lass on the other side of the Mediterranean, and started another war, only to get himself knocked off and leaving Octavian to become Caesar Augustus - the first actual Emperor of Rome. Not to mention one of the best ones, even if he did have a bit of a stick up his arse in some ways. He wanted Rome to be a family club, you see, and that didn't go down too well with those Romans who liked to get it on and party a bit.

Thing is, though, that Rome reached it's zenith in terms of power and authority a good couple of hundred years after all this happened. The republic couldn't hold a candle to the Empire, mostly because very little got done under the consuls while they were busy plotting against each other, while the Emperors sort of just said "go do as you're told or I'll do bad things to you". It was a bit like comparing Richard Branson to Centrelink in terms of efficiency.

Moral of the story? Two coaches, nah. Won't work, never has.
One hard nosed son of a bitch in charge getting things done? Yep. That's how I want it.

worth taking a risk with Sam Mitchell
Doubt that Sammy will come back West considering his wife never managed to settle here and took off back to Melbourne, and if Sammy wanted his marriage to survive he had no alternative than to follow. In any event think he's being groomed to take over from Alistair one day, when he decides to retire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, no, not really. The Roman Republic was more or less constantly at war with either some other mob or itself during the Republican phase, until one Gaius Julius Caesar wandered back over a certain river with a single legion and basically sat on an uncomfortable chair waiting for someone to have the balls to turf him out of it - which no one did. Mostly because back in the Republican days, Roman soldiers were paid mostly in booty from successful campaigns against... well, everyone... rather than out of the republican coffers. So no one else had troops that gave a crap, and Ole Julius had some hard men at his side who certainly did give a crap because he'd made them relatively wealthy over the last few years, at the expense of the Gauls. Loyalty, you see. Very important thing, it is.

Thing is, old Julius never actually was an emperor of Rome. He just made himself Consul (dictator) for life, a bit like that Asian bloke up north did a while back. And even after they got rid of him, stabby stab stab in the name of the republic and all that, they still couldn't get the republic back up and running again, too many blokes wanting their say on how things should be done. So they split it into three, and that only lasted for a short while until Mark Antony went native and got it on with a (reputably) fine looking local lass on the other side of the Mediterranean, and started another war, only to get himself knocked off and leaving Octavian to become Caesar Augustus - the first actual Emperor of Rome. Not to mention one of the best ones, even if he did have a bit of a stick up his arse in some ways. He wanted Rome to be a family club, you see, and that didn't go down too well with those Romans who liked to get it on and party a bit.

Thing is, though, that Rome reached it's zenith in terms of power and authority a good couple of hundred years after all this happened. The republic couldn't hold a candle to the Empire, mostly because very little got done under the consuls while they were busy plotting against each other, while the Emperors sort of just said "go do as you're told or I'll do bad things to you". It was a bit like comparing Richard Branson to Centrelink in terms of efficiency.

One hard nosed son of a bitch in charge getting things done? Yep. That's how I want it.

Yeah, I'm a history buff too. Currently reading the Landmark edition of Caesar's commentaries. The two consuls was to prevent a single person from amassing too much power, as the Roman's hated monarchies. Definitely can only have one coach who calls the shots, as long as other club officials keep their input from extending too far out of the coaching sphere.

Doubt that Sammy will come back West considering his wife never managed to settle here and took off back to Melbourne, and if Sammy wanted his marriage to survive he had no alternative than to follow. In any event think he's being groomed to take over from Alistair one day, when he decides to take the job at Freo
Ftfy

Doubt that Sammy will come back West considering his wife never managed to settle here and took off back to Melbourne, and if Sammy wanted his marriage to survive he had no alternative than to follow. In any event think he's being groomed to take over from Alistair one day, when he decides to retire.
That would be to get away from Embley wouldn't it?

Nah the republic worked but eventually broke down your just talking about its death phase. The early part of roman history and roman domination of the Mediterranean was set up by this republic. The emperor system replaced the broken republic and depending on the ability of the autocrat was either a raging success or terrible.
I recently read a good book on the subject< Mortal republic how rome fell into tyranny by Edward J. Watts.
I also liked rules for rulers video as a background context and this book about bureaucracy Political order and political decay: from the industrail revolution to the present day by francis fukuyama (hes laughed at a bit for his personal views but his grasp on actual history is brilliant)

Is Hodge staying put at Brisbane...anything announced on that?...really like him as an assistant for a few years. Also would like to see Ballas consider taking up an Assistant coaching role if it was offered to him. Has a good footy mind especially on strategies re creating space and opportunity away from tags etc.

Is Hodge staying put at Brisbane...anything announced on that?...really like him as an assistant for a few years. Also would like to see Ballas consider taking up an Assistant coaching role if it was offered to him. Has a good footy mind especially on strategies re creating space and opportunity away from tags etc.

I heard Fagan say hodge would definitely be at the Lions last year, they just hadn't worked out where he was best suited to be placed

Think Fagan said he's transistioning to a purely off-field role

Yep in 2 weeks if you believe David Prestipino - although not through retirement instead Sammy will take over Hawks with Clarko coming to live in his new Port Coogee home, play golf at Royal Fremantle and not to forget coach FFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back